Cohesion... or lack thereof.

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
cofcgrad02

Cohesion... or lack thereof.

Post by cofcgrad02 »

As everyone else, I'd like to express thanks to ego for setting up this bulletin board. Hopefully, with the ease of use vis-a-vis the ESPN board, we'll get lots of traffic over here. USU has a similar site that gets TONS of hits daily. Amazing. Anyway.

I really sense that there is little cohesion among the players on this season's squad. They just don't play together. I was looking at the boxscore of the Davidson game, and yes, overall the Cougs played some tough ball. But there were a lot of guys getting a lot of minutes and doing a whole lot of nothing. Frankly, however, I don't entirely fault them for their lack of productivity. The sign of a team without cohesion is that you have a few players trying to do everything, lacking confidence in their fellow players, and the boxscore will reflect that. Some players just aren't getting "in" the game regardless how many minutes they play. That's a serious problem.

Where are the leaders on this team? BJack has been great all season--forget the gaff against D'son at the end--but some of these players don't seem to want to "buy into" the system. Not Herrion's offensive system(we still don't appear to have much of one of those), but system in terms of "team concept" out on the court. Somebody posted on the ESPN board that we have more talent than anybody. While that's a bit of a stretch, we certainly have AS MUCH talent as anybody in the SoCon, and should dominate most of these teams.
charlottecougar

Post by charlottecougar »

Agree wholeheartedly! Maybe these losses will teach them a little of that. I'm still (maybe blindly) hoping that this team is continuing to learn and will peak at the end of the season. They were doing a better job of moving and passing on offense during the string of wins (granted against lesser competition) and as I posted in my first post, the communication on defense in the Davidson game was almost non-existent. At least the Davidson game showed that they can compete with the best of the conference outside of Kresse Arena, even when they are not playing their best.

Also agree with Swamp's post that the Furman game is very important, especially with two losses already in this stretch of 4 bigs games. I'd even throw the Ap State road game in there as a key game now. If we can get through this week with 2 wins - one against another quality team and then a much needed road victory - I'll have some faith that they actually are progressing. It also keeps us well above .500 and within reach of Davidson.
Here's hoping! Go Cougs!!