At NC

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
swampcougar1

At NC

Post by swampcougar1 »

7 pm tonight. TV Bally sports. Replaced Fox. Comcast channel 59 in Charleston. Watch party at the Alley? 21 to 22 point dogs depending to site you look at. Go Cougars.
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
swampcougar1

Re: At NC

Post by swampcougar1 »

Overall like what I have seen so far. Main concern 2nd half of both games very sloppy in comparison to first half. Would love to see 2 good half's against Richmond Mon night.
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
Comp Time

Post by Comp Time »

We just don't have an answer for a dominant big man. Thought our guards and swing guys matched up really well with UNC. Rebounding effort was awesome. Bacot killed us in the second half, just like the Stephens the game before.
upstatecougar

Post by upstatecougar »

I dont post here much anymore but I really did like what I saw last night.

Yes, UNC wore us down and as stated we dont have an answer for a true big man but we went toe to toe for 30 mins with a team that was in the final game last year.

We will have our ups and downs this season but I wouldnt want to draw us come CAA tournament time (when it really matters). Games like last night and some others OOC will really help growth and development l.

BTW......Kelsey can flat coach and looks like he is one helluva recruiter. We havent had that combo for a long long time.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Didn't get to watch it live, but caught he game later.

Far better than I was expecting.
I am not going to bemoan the the struggles against dominant 5's. Bacot is a lottery pick and Stephenson is getting drafted. We also forced 8 TO's by Stephenson so it wasn't all bad.
The difference in the game was the massive Foul/FT advantage. Obviously this is baked in anytime a mid/low major plays the #1 team on their home court. I am really curious what that game looks like in a simulated no bias refereeing environment

This game highlights the challenge that CofC is going to present to anyone they play. How do you gameplan against us. It appears that we intentionally de-emphasized Reyne and at first UNC was not prepared defensively for how we planned to attack. Did we hide Ante on Monday only to unleash him yesterday? We may never know, but it sure seems that way.

Scott shows no learning curve issue. Plug and Play
Robinson isn't as impressive but a solid rotational player. In the future I think you go with less one year sub D1 players as we will have to fill slots for the talented freshmen coming in. It is always a risk, and you are compelled to play these guys based on the recruiting pitch to bring em in.

Raekwon is awesome. He needs to near the top in usage/minutes regardless of if he is coming in with the second unit or not.
Larson's stats are not out of this world but he does so much good on the court, and some of his bad shots are just him bailing the team out when they get into trouble.
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

Interesting that our pace (75) and offensive efficiency (113) was the same for both UTC and UNC per kenpom. The difference was the defensive efficiency, it was 103 vs UTC and 133 vs unc.

Richmond's offensive efficiency rates similar to UTC and their defensive efficiency rates better than UTC but significantly worse than UNC.

Apparently the key to the game will be to execute as usual on offense while playing defense about as well as we did against UTC.