UTC

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
swampcougar1

UTC

Post by swampcougar1 »

Monday night 730. Any educated guesses on starters? For what it is worth 1 site has us favored by 2.5 points
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
swampcougar1

Re: UTC

Post by swampcougar1 »

Great rebounding and good ball control first half. Got sloppy with both second half. Any win over UTC a good win.
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Good win. Got into a bit of a lull there where we didn't really play with the same intensity as the first half, and a ton of unforced errors that were maddening.
Chattanooga was a tough team, knew what they were and were pretty consistent with what they wanted to do. Once we got tired it got scary since they had a scoring blueprint and we didn't. We were lucky Stephenson hit a little bit of a wall and started missing chip shots.

We were definitely missing that veteran (frontcourt) scorer in Meeks who could get us possessions when we needed them. Scott may evolve into that role but he isn't ready yet. Its gonna be much more widespread this year.

I didn't love that starting lineup. Primarily I didn't love Bolon in it. He is a great veteran guy who has a ton of confidence, and maybe it was rust for him. He just seemed a touch slow and off at times. I'd rather have Rae and his athletic upside manning the 3, but you lose some veteran presence. Hopefully its just rust and we will see a more confident psychoD.

Larson - would have been a hell of a piece on last years team.
Scott - seems to have slid right into D1 pretty seamlessly.
Benny - kind of a quiet night. Almost seems as though he slipped in the rotation. time.
Robinson - good push to the basket, though has the ugliest release I have ever seen.
Lampten - pleasant surprise. Seems to have grown some.
Ante - I liked him in his short span.
Baba - still needs a lot of polishing.
Cougie Monster

Post by Cougie Monster »

The goal of game 1 is to win game 1 so mission accomplished. Saw a lot that i liked but a lot that gives me concerns.

The good:

- Larson looks legit. He's more athletic than the detractors would want you to believe. Gonna be a really good pickup
- Scott - How was that guy playing NAIA? He has a D1 frame and is a D1 athlete
- The game was played at our pace and it clearly frustrated UTC during stretches
- Reyne - Dude can flat out shoot it. The team looks so much better with him and Larson on the floor

The bad

- For the life of me i dont understand some of PK's lineup rotations. Maybe a factor of being game 1 and just throwing 5 guys on the floor and seeing what happens but some made zero sense
- Pat Robinson and Dalton getting more minutes that Rae, Benny and Baba. The West Liberty duo will get destroyed by UNC
- the 2 lulls in the game. One towards the end of the first half and one with about 5 minutes to play

You can chalk some of of the bad shots and turnovers to it being the first game and maybe being a bit over hyped, but we saw some of the same bugaboos as last year.

On to the Dean Dome!
cougarmusic

Post by cougarmusic »

Awesome home opener. The crowd was really into it and it was fun to have the student section over fall break. We will def need to finish better at the rim to have a shot on Friday.

I was def thrown off a little by the rotations and almost late subs. There were a few times we didn’t make the changes we needed before play started. Maybe just a little rust being the first game.

I feel like Reyne will be on every scouting report now. Lampkin worked well against Big Jake. UNC will be a real test. Really liked what Larson can bring to the floor as he gets used to the system. I felt like Psycho D and Benny were a little off. Not sure if that was just first game jitters or what. Benny had a killer block on Jake that shouldn’t have been a foul.

Refs seemed rusty too. Several late whistles.

Starting with the W is always good. Ready for the next one
Those boys simply would not play "Drop the Handkerchief" ~James Naismith