UNCW take 3

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
matrojan

UNCW take 3

Post by matrojan »

Games are coming in fast.....
Yesterday was the best offensive performance of the season.pp(offensive RTG highest all year).
Can this young team come out with the same intensity as they did last night? I'm skeptical.

Crazy fact. UNCW has ended our season every time we met them in the CAA tournament. Good time for that streak to end.

Sliver of hope is that UNCW plays effectively a 6 man rotation with the top guys all but iron manning it. Hopefully we can use that to our advantage.
swampcougar1

Re: UNCW take 3

Post by swampcougar1 »

First two games tos and fouls killed us. Not having a point guard on the roster will hurt us a lot more tonight than it did last night. Keep the tos under 15 we have a good chance.
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

Where can you watch/steam the game tonight?
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Cbssports
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

It is what it is. Proud of them. 9 players back next year if Bolo gets his med redshirt. 8 of them a lot of minutes and experiance
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

That Hurt.
Looked like a lot of our losses.
Felt some serious deja vu from early in Earl's career. Looking how that game went down it was more similar than I thought.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /400870035
Both games we had ball late down 1 and didnt and couldn't put it in.
Nice play design tonight getting Meeks going at the basket.

You kind of had a feeling that some of that glorious offense was going to regress to the mean. And boy did it. Lot of that is UNCW just playing great D.
Bonkers stat is that we had 17 offensive redounds and only 4 second chance points. That is so many missed bunnies.
Dmitrious as 10-20 but his all his misses were from a foot away.
The free throws are obvious. That has to get better. Especially by your primary ballhandler. 'Achilles heal all year

Reyne -Meeks -Tuck so often our leaders 5 for 21 with 7 turnovers.
With Meeks struggling as much as he was I really wish we gave Farrar a little more time. Especially since we all but abandoned playing a traditional big. Also wished PK had been a little more aggressive late to rest him yesterday.

Future's bright but Charleston's crap luck in conf tournament's continues. So ready for that script to flip
charlestondxman

Post by charlestondxman »

Yup. I was at that 2016 game in BAL and we had a big lead against them as a 1 seed but blew it at the end. This game was nip and tuck the entire night. I don’t think the lead got to more than 8 either way.

Basically had to rely on Underwood all game and those 3 missed FTs were probably due to tiredness. Make 1 or 2 of those and it’s a different story.

Attendance terrible in DC. No atmosphere on TV except for the 400 UNCW fans and maybe 200 CofC fans. Most of the people were there for Delaware-Towson. They do no marketing. They care more about selling $15 NFTs than marketing the event to the DC area. I think the finals tickets are $40 each!

Put that game in NCC and you’d have 5-6K.
bfs47

Post by bfs47 »

We played our best ball all year. I cut them some slack during the season as they were all new to each other. A bad break or they would be playing tonight. Maybe one of the lesser tournaments played this year invites them. There may be 150 teams playing somewhere this postseason. I am sure this group would want to play more games if asked. We shall see.
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

I bet Kelsey wishes he didn't use that TO to ice the fFT shooter. That final play was terrible. With almost 3 seconds to go you don't have to lob it 3/4 court. Call the TO, draw up a play, at least get a shot off. I'm not saying it would have changed anything, but I couldn't believe he burned that TO when he did.
dadpharm

Post by dadpharm »

17 wins after starting with only 2 play er s
Kelsey did a great job, great season. Cant fault anyone. Hopefully one more game or more left.
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

Definitely, very happy with the way the season turned out. Looking forward to next year.
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

They had 6 loses and 6 wins that were single possession games, those go a different way and we would be looking at a much worse or much better record (even a 20 win season). With so many newcomers getting significant minutes I thought the start of the season was going to be a lot worse than it was. Considering we lost 2 guards for the season and had other players miss multiple games due to injuries, and I'm surprised they finished as well as they did.

I don't understand why Farrar saw limited minutes over the last 4 games (total of 25 minutes and 17 pts) as he was efficient offensively and didn't seem to be a liability on defense in 6 of the 8 games before that where he saw at least 10 minutes of action. Raekwon had it all click towards the end of January and was arguably the best or second best player in 12 of the 14 games. Actually, I'm really impressed with all of the freshman. Hopefully we can return everyone, get another year with Bolon, and get some depth at PG next year.
hungry

Post by hungry »

How's our verbal commit holding up? Crawford?
Cougie Monster

Post by Cougie Monster »

North Meck lost in the regional finals. Up 6 with less than a minute to play. But on the bright side, Jordan Crawford had a great year. Seems he can really play, but might not be able to run point at the college level right away. But he will definitely be a factor next year.