Jmu

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
swampcougar1

Jmu

Post by swampcougar1 »

31 fouls and 20 tos. Just dumb
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
Cougie Monster

Re: Jmu

Post by Cougie Monster »

Not having a true PG kills us.

This team is limited but they played really hard. I can live with that.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Cougie Monster wrote:Not having a true PG kills us.

This team is limited but they played really hard. I can live with that.
I agree they play hard but not having a point guard does not account for 20 tos and has nothing to do with 31 fouls. Way too many reach in fouls 30 feet from the basket.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Not getting mad over that performance. Guys play really hard and I hope they can get a deserved win next week.

The fouls to a large extent are a function of what PK is asking the team to do. This isnt an Earl Grant D. We are upper echelon in the country in steals. So many of our players are asked to guard smaller, quicker players. They cheat with size and length. I agree far too many gambles particularly by Osi and Charles.

The TO's a function of the desire to push the ball, lack of natural ball handler and the large amount of raw/young guys. Underwood is a 3 and being asked to be a 1, Meeks is doing his best Dirk Nowitzki impressions.

Coaching staff is getting a crash course in needs. Agree with others that there has to be an upper class guard to add to the roster in addition to Crawford(who looks like a STAR).

Really curious how Bolon will slide back in. He has been out of a boot for a couple of games I have noticed. He will add another shooter and ability for us to play slightly smaller lineups. He will also be fresh but will lack a lot of conditioning.
All in all year really reminds me of Cremin's second year with Goudelock, Wiggins, Monroe and Simmons all coming in as freshmen.
charlestondxman

Post by charlestondxman »

What this game showed us is how much of a rebuilding job Coach Kelsey needs to do. Last year Coach Grant, with a PG who is now the PG of the #1 team in the nation Auburn, and Payton Willis, who could very easily be 1st team all Big Ten, only could get a 3rd place finish in a much weaker CAA, and if we had played more games probably would have been 5th or 6th. We weren’t even favored in a 3-6 quarterfinal.

We’re probably a 4th to 7th place team this year in the league that would have been 2nd or 3rd in other years. Our KenPom has gone up after two straight losses. Coach Kelsey’s first year at Winthrop was only 14-17. That included James Bourne who transferred to us and became a key piece in the 15-16 season.

His first year at Winthrop his tempo was only 326th in the nation. It wasn’t until his 4th season he was top 20. Less than half a season in here he already has his pace going. Maybe it needs to slow a slight bit.

Whoever replaces Meeks next season will have big shoes to fill.
UpInTheAir

Post by UpInTheAir »

Kelsey’s teams were never known for playing defense while at Winthrop and in his first two years there using upperclassman that were recruited by Randy Peele before Kelsey replaced him, they gave up 61 and 71 ppg respectively. Additionally Kelsey’s teams were for the most part, turnover machines. Protecting the ball just didn’t seem to be something they spent a lot of time working on. In fact, his 2018-19 team averaged 15.2 turnovers per game. His first two seasons were, interestingly enough, also his best two teams for protecting the ball, giving up 12.8 and 12.9 turnovers per game. Once he had teams he had completely recruited the turnovers and points allowed numbers went up dramatically. While his offenses put up big numbers, solid D and not turning the ball over were things his teams were not known for.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

UpInTheAir wrote:Kelsey’s teams were never known for playing defense while at Winthrop and in his first two years there using upperclassman that were recruited by Randy Peele before Kelsey replaced him, they gave up 61 and 71 ppg respectively. Additionally Kelsey’s teams were for the most part, turnover machines. Protecting the ball just didn’t seem to be something they spent a lot of time working on. In fact, his 2018-19 team averaged 15.2 turnovers per game. His first two seasons were, interestingly enough, also his best two teams for protecting the ball, giving up 12.8 and 12.9 turnovers per game. Once he had teams he had completely recruited the turnovers and points allowed numbers went up dramatically. While his offenses put up big numbers, solid D and not turning the ball over were things his teams were not known for.
Did they have 20 fouls a game also.?