UNCW

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
matrojan

UNCW

Post by matrojan »

7pm tonight
We have missed so many conference games hard to know what to expect.
Hopefully we can use this time well to get everyone up to speed

Curious how much they will press us.
swampcougar1

Re: UNCW

Post by swampcougar1 »

They have seemingly played much better the last few games. 8.5 point favorites for us is rediculous. They also play a lot of subs
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Agree Swamp it will be tighter than that.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Lousy basketball by the Cougars. Totally out hustled second half. 18 to,s. At this point we are not a good team.
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Had to be 20+ turnovers. Add in that we acquiesced to their style with matchups.
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

Hate to see the team lay an egg after a week of prep and buildup. That's a momentum killer.

Obviously this is a rebuilding season with a brand new coaching staff and patchwork roster, but the talent gap is starting to show. Right now we don't have a PG and the lack of passing kills us. Underwood barely played point guard before this season, Ali is gone, Meeks has never had a positive assist to turnover ratio in 5 years, Smith is a true 2 and Evdokimov is a deer in the headlights.

Watching the rest of the CAA, the number of shot makers on teams compared to CofC jumps out. UNCW has guys who can win one-on-one matchups and beat our guys off the dribble all night. CofC couldn't take advantage of their size because every big is either an offensive or defensive liability. Outside of Meeks and Smith there are a lot of reluctant shot takers.
charlestondxman

Post by charlestondxman »

Big problem is he is a “system” coach. It takes 2 or 3 years to get everybody all set up. Not that that’s an excuse for tonight. An off defensive night can still get you a win against Charleston Southern. But not against any team in the CAA.

It just proves how much better a league the CAA is than the Big South. But missing 8 consecutive free throws and allowing 50 points in a half to those guys is not excusable.

Also, the atmosphere was kind of tepid. He got the students into it, and I know COVID is still big, but 3800 fans for our biggest rival on a holiday for most, after 8 days off is not a good number. And it didn’t look like 3800. There were swaths of empties in the lower deck.

There are no off nights in the CAA this year. Any team can beat anybody else. When NORTHEASTERN is the worst team in the league, it says something.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Pretty evident the Non-Conference success was a mirage with our opponents not taking the time to properly scout us.
The lack of proper back court depth is going to continue to haunt us until Bolon comes back, and I am not sure how much he will be able to change the trajectory.

Still interested to see how PK and the staff navigate the rest of this season, and what off-season options will be available. Teams with athletic back courts are going to chew us up.
Cougie Monster

Post by Cougie Monster »

This team is hard to handicap and I still have some patience that they will figure things out, but I’m starting to learn towards the “I’ve seen enough” territory. They have too many flaws in my eyes and the combination is fatal - 1 they don’t have a true point guard which contributes to 2) the decision making is poor including guys who should know better 3) some guys aren’t ready 4) no offensive production from the bigs 5) not sure the talent is there for too much of the roster (defensive foot speed, shot making, basketball IQ, etc)

I think the blue print for beating us has been established.
hungry

Post by hungry »

We have to stop passing in the lane. Almost always a turnover.
Why was Horton in the game so much at the end? Underwood & Smart on the bench?
Obviously, could have won the game by making all those 1st half missed free throws.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

hungry wrote:We have to stop passing in the lane. Almost always a turnover.
Why was Horton in the game so much at the end? Underwood & Smart on the bench?
Obviously, could have won the game by making all those 1st half missed free throws.
Agree on lane passing--against UNCW. Other teams (like Towson) it may be a better tactic due to matchups.
Horton was guarding #30 and giving good effort and making #30 work more. #30 drug Osi up top and beat him at will.
Underwood and Smart were on the bench as Underwood had a bad game and kept doing the same thing with the same bad results. Osi was a bad matchup on #30 and PK obviously felt it better to guard 30 better vs. having Osi be a rebounder/lane enforcer.