At UTC

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
swampcougar1

At UTC

Post by swampcougar1 »

Tomorrow. 4:30 pm I think. They are very good. Would not surprise me if we are double digit dogs.
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
matrojan

Re: At UTC

Post by matrojan »

Blast from the SOCON PAST!!!

They have had a strong season so far. Undefeated. Top win was VCU.
Their coach is a long time Wisconsin assistant.
Has slowly gotten them better every year.
Struggling to break through in a tougher SOCON.

It is going to be a tough test. Our humbling P5 two game stretch hopefully PK can refocus the guys.
Seems clear that Kelsey is going to continue the set platoons and rotations fairly static.

They are driven by their back court. We will see how we face off on against more equal competition.
charlestondxman

Post by charlestondxman »

It’s actually a 4pm start, on ESPN+, but it might start a little late because Chattanooga has a women’s game right before it at 1:30. This is one of Chattanooga’s “marquee” games of the season. They have a ticket package for six games this year (including all 3 of their TV games) and this is one of them.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Looks like we are only 9 point dogs.
ATLCoug

Post by ATLCoug »

Best win of the season so far. Always hard to win on the road. I like this team’s potential.
chascougs

Post by chascougs »

Mocs with an epic meltdown in the second half up by 14 and I’m under 7 minutes they find themselves down 6….20-0 Cougar run.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Plesent surprise. Beat a good team on the road. Underwood is most valuable player on team at this point
Comp Time

Post by Comp Time »

Good road win. Gutsy performance after being down big early in the second half.
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

Best win of the season. Chattanooga was picked to win the SoCon and was top 150 on KenPom. The way UTC kicked off the second half, it looked like we were headed for another shellacking on the road. Big time effort from the Cougs to battle back and flip the script on our tendency to fade down the stretch (even though the final possessions were very dicey).

That 20-0 run shows the potential of this team operating at peak efficiency. Multiple stops on defense - blocks, charges drawn, steals, shot clock violations - and then Smith, Meeks and others hitting threes on the other end. Charleston shot 56% in the second half.

Just 11 turnovers as well, which made up for a negative rebounding margin and a rare off night for Burnham.
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

Really enjoyed the comeback win, especially against Chattanutsack. The mistakes in the last minute made it more exciting than I'd like. Smith and underwood were clutch today, I'm hoping Tucker gets closer to the way he played the first few games rather than the last two.
charlestondxman

Post by charlestondxman »

We were 1.9% to win when the score was 46-32. They pulled that out of the fire. Important that Chattanooga had two made free throws taken away due to lane violations during this game. One right before halftime that made it a 9 point deficit instead of 10 and one near the end.

Surprised how poor their crowd was. It was like 2,300 or so. I know it’s the Saturday after Thanksgiving and you’re competing against SEC football, but a crowd like that in that huge gym feels like nothing. We played many games in the SoCon tournament like that there.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Finally got a chance to watch. Great job by the staff and the team to not allow the guys to get down, and kept the energy up. Could have easily folded, but battled and won.

De Souza was such a monster I had to look him up. Interesting story. Recruited to Kansas were he played. Then was caught up in some corruption scandal where a family member/caretaker pocketed money. De Souza got his last two years of eligibility wiped out only to have one year given back. He then got a fresh start at UTC. He is a future NBA player.

Having so many interchangeable pieces allows us to adjust and give teams different looks. We started this game really small with no true 5, but played large parts of the second half with three forwards on the court.

When guys are having off nights(Burnham, Tucker) they get changed out letting someone else in.

I am not as down on Ali as some where in the chat. He is still "technically" a freshman but has a lot of valuable confidence and experience. He is just small for a D1 player which makes allows teams to trap him and makes him less of a threat when he drives. Reminds me a bit of Anthony Stitt. Kid just needs to learn how to play with his size.