@ Delaware

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
charlestondxman

@ Delaware

Post by charlestondxman »

It feels like it has been a month since we have played, but we have games at Delaware on Saturday and Sunday at 2 o’clock, our first CAA conference games. This is going to be a new frontier with back to back conference games on weekends.

Nobody knows what’s gonna happen. This looks to be a big barometer for the rest of the conference season.
matrojan

Re: @ Delaware

Post by matrojan »

Just hoping for progress and growth of the young guys
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Ugly basketball
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
charlestondxman

Right there again, just couldn’t pull it out in the end. Willis with 21 points, but the bad thing was Arleti, who hadn’t gotten a single point in five previous games, getting 21 points.

If we had made a couple of layups in the 1st half, this could have been a totally different game. Much better than the Georgia State or Marshall games. If we could play those last 6-7 minutes for the rest of league play, we could look decent.

Play like they did in the first half and the early part of the 2nd half, it could be a long couple months.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Only one way to describe our offense. Offensive to watch. Watched 2 bad teams play ugly basketball.
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

Seeing Delaware's two freshmen combine for 36 points and a win really puts into perspective how our underclassmen stack up to their peers. Arletti had 21 in relief of Anderson after a combined 0 points in 23 total minutes to start his college career. Not only is that well above the career highs of any of our five underclassmen, it's also matches the career high for both Jasper and Willis (Edwards is the only other active player to ever hit 20 in a game).

Without a pure scorer and pure point guard, we're stuck with this offense. IMO, Tucker and King can become one-on-one scorers but Tucker desperately needs to learn to finish when he gets to the rim and King needs to stay out of his own way and cut down on the fouls.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

From cougarsurf11
Without a pure scorer and pure point guard, we're stuck with this offense. IMO, Tucker and King can become one-on-one scorers but Tucker desperately needs to learn to finish when he gets to the rim and King needs to stay out of his own way and cut down on the fouls.

Our offense is street ball.
charlestondxman

That was really a season saving win there for morale. Can’t really afford to go to 2-7 with Drexel and Northeastern coming to town the next two weekends. Huge difference between 0-2 and 1-1. Easily could have been 2-0 if we had made a couple more shots yesterday.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Once Brev went down goals for the season went out the window.
It was clear you are really just looking for growth. That maybe at the end of the season you can be competitive with every CAA team. Maybe make a run in the CAA tournament if there is one.

Saw a little more of the first game. Hard to gauge precisely what it means, but I suspect getting road sweeps in these doubleheaders is gonna be really hard. You probably live with splits. Delaware is probably a bottom quartile RPI team so no sense in puffing up your chest. That said I think Inglesby is an underrated coach so you take the win.

Earl has widened the bench which is really smart(particularly since it is clear that Harvey and Houston offer meaningful contributions not just dead minutes). The wider bench was the difference in the two games. It needs to be the strategy in these games. Something to track moving forward.
It couldnt have been a surprised that Earl moved to fix the defensive play before going to work on offense. It is where his skill set lies. We seem more cohesive, though there are brainfarts still happening.

Earl desperately needs a floor general for his offense. We got away with it for a couple years since both Riller and Brantley are top line talents that can facilitate or dominate. Perhaps he thought he was getting that with Willis. As big a Zep fan I am he is clearly not it, and not really going to grow into that "in season".
hungry

Post by hungry »

Tucker needs to shoot 10,000 layups, in practice, now.
I bet Riller did.
That is said to be what's needed to be an expert.
BTW- Swamp's posts are in the 9,000's.
After today I feel better, obviously. Eye test is that we should beat Delaware by 10 points.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

hungry wrote:Tucker needs to shoot 10,000 layups, in practice, now.
I bet Riller did.
That is said to be what's needed to be an expert.
BTW- Swamp's posts are in the 9,000's.
After today I feel better, obviously. Eye test is that we should beat Delaware by 10 points.
I have no issue with Tucker perfecting his craft with a million failed drives to the basket. It should pay dividends down the road.
As I said before Tucker is the only one that can do what he does. Just needs to learn to do it against D1 competition.