@ Georgia State

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
charlestondxman

@ Georgia State

Post by charlestondxman »

CofC’s first road game tonight since the UNC game. It was a completely different team then with Galloway. CofC is about a 12-13 point dog depending on where I’m seeing my lines.

On KenPom CofC is a 9 point dog. This is a homecoming for Tucker, Copeland (both from the Atlanta area) and Jasper (from Augusta).
charlestondxman

Re: @ Georgia State

Post by charlestondxman »

Another tough one. Only 6 assists tonight. As was said on the podcast, it is a different season without Galloway. Good efforts from Harvey and Houston tonight in their time on the floor.

You cannot allow double digit three-pointers consistently and win ballgames. That is something which has to change in conference play.

When you hold a team 25 points below their scoring average (Georgia State was averaging 97 a game) and you still lose by 17, your offense needs to improve. We have no margin of error at this point without Galloway. Nobody really who can bail us out with good shooting touch.

I’ll be happy if we can get a top 6 finish and avoiding the play-in round of the CAA tourney right now.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Well...
At least Harvey and Houston got a chance to play and showed they deserve a look more often.
King's exhuberance hurt tonight. You live with it. Kid has to learn.
Zep has not been the same since Brev went down. He continues to try and play as some complementary piece. Also i am beginning to wonder if some of the offensive flow issues were on him. Things looked worse with him on the court.

As I said in Surfs podcast i think the biggest beneficiary of Brev going down is going to be Tucker.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Got to 5 down in second half then the offense did not make a field goal for close to 7 minutes. Will say defense played their best 20 minutes of season in 2nd half. As mentioned they ave about 97 a game and scored over a 100 against GT. Offense needs to find some chemistry. Team unity on offense just not there
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

Houston (+7) and Harvey (+/-0) were actually our most effective players by plus/minus. They were both on the court with Willis, Tucker and Edwards when we cut the lead down early in the 2nd half.

Matching the eye test, the Cougars were outscored by 23 while Jasper was on the court. Copeland had a -9 in just 4 minutes.

In the assists department, Willis (3) was the only Cougar with more than one dime. Epps made a few nice plays on offense, but his turnovers (4 in this game) are always so costly. We had 15 as a team, a full non-conference season after saying 15 was way too many against North Carolina.

I'm not sure what the solution to the issues on offense is, since we don't seem to have a pure passer on the roster. As others have mentioned, we also don't have one-on-one scorers outside Willis, King, Tucker and sometimes Jasper. But I'm in on continuing to feed minutes to the underclassmen to see what they can do.
hungry

Post by hungry »

So this is what rebuilding looks like. Zep has been point-guard in waiting since Pointer came back & Riller transitioned. Guess it's Willis now. Zep is so streaky on outside shot. Goes from making 4 in a row one game to 0 in a row.
When we got back to within 5 coach needed to use his time outs and keep only reliable, smart ballhandlers in the game.
Does anyone have that next good assistant/recruiter we need in mind? Will JK get involved?