Anbody else concerned about state of program??

Keep discussions of baseball here.
upstatecougar

Anbody else concerned about state of program??

Post by upstatecougar »

I realize it is only one year under the new coach but i am concerned about the direction we are headed.

It has been mentioned here and i have had conversations with others about the style of coaching and how it does sont translate to this group of kids. My all accounts Monte Lee was a a players coach. Our current coach is quite the opposite.

We had something special with Lee. Cant fault him for going to Clemson.

Just worried about the long term for the program.
gregory

Re: Anbody else concerned about state of program??

Post by gregory »

Absolutely you have to be concerned.

You have to credit the current coaches for getting them to 21-10-1 with wins over Nebraska, Coastal, SC, UCSB and FSU but you really have to wonder how they let the season get off the tracks.

Sounds like a classic case of overcoaching.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

From 21-10-1 we went 10-16 the rest of the season. Yes a lot of concern. Rumors about players not coming back even a bigger concern. In all fairness this was his first year as a head coach anywhere and this season was hopefully a learning experience for him.
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
maroon96

Post by maroon96 »

I don't have a clue as to the inner workings of the team this season. I did find the HC post game interview very odd though. He stated that next season we would be seeing a bunch of new players. I just found his tone & timing to be way off which was my first clue that something might stink.
gregory

Post by gregory »

They were 21-10-1 and had mojo working (i guess it could have been sheer dumb luck). Maybe they were having too much fun. Some coaches aren't happy unless you hate the game or are not flexible with their coaching style. That's my best guess what happened here. I don't know coach but I have heard people say his personality as a coach leaves a lot to be desired. Now, some perspective: the 2013 team was 31-26 too. They were also young. We then had great seasons in 2014 and 2015. Perhaps the lessons learned this year will help next year. If this happens again, you might want to start looking for a new coach. Cougars should never be sixth in the CAA.
gregory

Post by gregory »

Monte has some interesting things to say about coaching kids.

http://www.tigernet.com/story/baseball/ ... -Lee-14870