State of Men's Soccer Program

upstatecougar

State of Men's Soccer Program

Post by upstatecougar »

Thoughts on the State of the Men's Soccer program? I realize that we play a very difficult schedule but it is frustrating seeing the losses pile up.

What does it take to get us back on the level of gaining National Respect. Why can teams likes Coastal, UNC-Wilmington, Furman, etc. produce top 25 teams each year but not us?

I may get grilled for this but is it time we look elsewhere for a head coach. Lundy has done a great job but what have we done lately?
VolleyBallCoug

Re: State of Men's Soccer Program

Post by VolleyBallCoug »

No wins for the men or women in CAA play. CofC's entire soccer program needs to be evaluated.
GoCougsGo

Post by GoCougsGo »

I am mixed on my views of mens soccer. At one hand, we are losing way too much but did we realistically expect to win or be remotely competitive in the CAA our first year? Furman was the only good team in the SoCon and we easily got wins that were no question going to be wins while the CAA has 3 ranked teams in the top 25 and there are no certain wins at the CAA level. Level of competition is leaps and bounds better. We've played 6 ranked teams, 4 in non conference and won 1 of those. Half of the team is freshman and sophmores. Let's give this another year or two for player development before we pass judgment.

Ralph's career at CofC and in the community is something you just can't replace based on 1 year. He has the 3rd most wins of any coach in D-1. Troy Lesesne is one of the top 30 young coaches in America. I think this is a coach in waiting situation and it would not surprise me to see Ralph retire in the next couple of years. I have confidence in our staff to develop the youth on the roster but it will take time.

For the women, 12 freshman and sophomores on a 19 person roster. Same situation except the schedule seemed to be a bit easier and some of these games weren't even close.
charlestondxman

Post by charlestondxman »

I've been to some games and the team is SO young. They lost Kees Heemskerk, their all-CAA goalie in the third game of the season, and he hasn't been back since. Their other goalies are decent, but they don't have very good depth at other positions.

They're playing a ton of freshmen and sophomores who haven't had a long time to jell. They're learning on the job.

The women's team is something I'm perplexed with. They have some very good players (McCallie Jones is one), but there's not enough around them.

Also the fan interest has been lower. There were a ton of students at the Akron game, but the game started late because Furman's game went into OT and the buses came early.
hoopsfan12321

Post by hoopsfan12321 »

Men's soccer had a tough game against Hofstra today. We were leading 1-0 up until the 89th minute, when Hofstra scored with 52 seconds left. No one scored in the two overtime periods.
coug91

Post by coug91 »

Time for Lundy to retire!!!
charlestondxman

Honestly, it is tough to see with how quickly it has happened. As recently as 2010, we had an NCAA game on campus (which we won), and in 2011 we beat South Carolina in front of like 2,000 people.

Two seasons ago we defeated Stanford on our home field and lost by one goal to #1 Maryland.

Now, we can't even beat the worst CAA teams on our home field. The last two seasons, we have won a total of two CAA games. We've won ONE home game in CAA play the last two years.

Women's soccer has gotten a little better this year, but when you get a couple hundred folks to soccer games compared to what is happening at Coastal and other schools, it is hard to sustain.
charlestondxman

And women's soccer was even worse tonight. Losing 5-0 at home to an average Hofstra team (5th in conference). Down 2-0 seven minutes into the game.

With all the soccer talent in SC, there is no reason why our soccer teams have gotten so bad lately.

I get they're a young bunch, but they haven't progressed at all.
charlestondxman

Another terrible loss for women's soccer. 3-0 to Northeastern at home. Out of conference tournament with still a match remaining.

Have only scored 4 goals in 8 CAA matches. Three in one game.
GoCougsGo

Post by GoCougsGo »

This is sad.....so very sad at how quickly soccer has declined. I was a defender of wait and see and I think the time may be right to make some changes. Ralph and Christian are superb individuals and I hope they can turn it around but im not thinking it is going to happen anytime soon.
charlestondxman

Another loss tonight at James Madison, 2-0. Record of 2-9-2. Haven't won a game since September 7.

It's amazing to see how quickly it's fallen.
cougar04

Post by cougar04 »

I feel like the success from about 2008-2011 was padded by one of the best recruiting classes in the country when Lundy's kid and all his club buddies came to play for CofC. They were all highly regarded out of high school and put together some good Ws but some head scratchers also. They are now gone and we weren't able to sustain the success they were trying to build. I think Lundy should be allowed to go on his own terms (barring a total tragedy), and I kind of hope it's sooner rather than later.
GoCougsGo

Post by GoCougsGo »

2-1 loss to Elon in OT tonight. Men's Soccer has not won a game since September 7th. Its time.
maroon96

Post by maroon96 »

The mens team is very young but talented & next season should be in the thick of the CAA.
I can't for the life of me figure out how they lost/tied most of their games.
The womens team is real young also but lacks any defensive energy, physicality & mental toughness. Its really bothersome to see girls waiting for the pass to come to them only to see the opponent blow by them to go get the ball. They need a fire lit under their collective asses.
hoopsfan12321

Post by hoopsfan12321 »

The men's team officially goes winless in the CAA, losing to Hofstra 1-0.
coug91

Post by coug91 »

Finished the season 2-11-3 with no conference wins.
Last four seasons: 19-40-10
Had two very good season during 2007 + 2010 (13-5-1 + 11-5-3)
All other season were losing or around .500