Penn State

Keep discussion unrelated to the Cougars here.
CofCcougars1

Penn State

Post by CofCcougars1 »

I know this is a little off topic, but as everyone here is a sports fan, read this awful indictment...

Be Warned, it's disturbing and disgusting beyond what words can describe:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/07/ ... ry-report/
GACoug
Site Admin

Re: Penn State

Post by GACoug »

It's a lot of people not doing the right thing. But it is also a subject that a lot of people don't like to be confronted with.

I'd be surprised if JoPa is there next season, given that he is pretty mucha figure head right now it wouldn't surprise me if he's not out before the end of the season. Although he did nothing legally wrong (he did inform his supervisor who should have informed the police), but he should have followed up more as he had to know that the campus police had investigated Sandusky just a few years prior for a similar situation.
CofCcougars1

Post by CofCcougars1 »

he just announced today he will step down at the end of the season. I mean the guy is a Football coach at a Premiere Program. He cannot be the Police too. He told his bosses (or whomever) and they then elected to not inform the next people, the police.
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

He was fired last night.
hungry

Post by hungry »

"He cannot be the Police too. He told his bosses (or whomever) and they then elected to not inform the next people, the police."

Ask all those boys and their families if they think he should have done more, sooner than later. Like when he first knew about Sandusky. Might have kept dozens of them safe.
GoCougsGo

Post by GoCougsGo »

The whole situation is absolutely terrible and I am saddened about the firing of Joe Paterno.

One thing that comes to my mind is heirarchy. At state governed institutions, there is way to go about reporting abuses and wrongs and I believe JoePa did just that in reporting it to his superiors. He can't just call up the police and report it because if it was proven unfounded, he would be fired for insubordination. You can't just skip many layers of authority. You have to go through the proper channels of reporting. IF they gave him a direct order to drop it, then he has essentially been used as a scapegoat to try and satisfy the public.

We don't know a lot of information that has been discussed behind closed doors. But, from the sounds of it, he is morally guilty more than anything. My questions are: Where was the school attorney (at the time or if he/she still sits in that position)? What does/did he/she know about the situation. A lot of unanswered questions administratively here.

Again, I am saddened that the JoePa era is now over. But, from the information that I've read, it looks like he got taken down for a poorly run administrative unit. If this is proven to be true, I would sue the hell out of Penn State for breach of contract (which he would never do knowing the character of Joe Paterno).