Athletes collect toys for My Sister's House

Keep discussion unrelated to the Cougars here.
hungry

Athletes collect toys for My Sister's House

Post by hungry »

Blog: Cougars
By Tommy Braswell

From C of C sports information...

College of Charleston Student-Athletes Collecting Toys for My Sister’s House

Charleston, S.C. – The College of Charleston’s Student-Athlete Advisory Board (SAAB) is collecting sports toys (balls, plastic bats, frisbees, jump ropes etc.) for children who are victims of domestic violence. The sports toys donation drive is part of the school’s No Violence/No Victims Day set for Sept. 29. Donations will be given to My Sister's House. My Sister’s House is a nonprofit organization that provides services, programs and resources to empower victims of domestic violence and their children to live free from abuse. College of Charleston will be collecting donations until Sept. 28.
“This is a great opportunity for our student-athletes and the College of Charleston athletic department to get involved and support our community,” said Kate Tiller, Academic Advisor for Student-Athletes. “The No Violence/No Victims Day is a chance for our campus to become aware of domestic violence, which is certainly a huge issue in society today.” Crime Assistance Response and Education (CARE) and the Division of College of Charleston’s Student Affairs will hold No Violence/No Victims Day in order to build awareness of violence issues that impact every community. This year's day of events will include disseminating awareness information, opportunities for students, faculty and staff to share how violence has impacted them, and will culminate with a candlelight vigil to be held at 7:00 p.m. in the Cistern Yard. My Sister's House is a nonprofit organization founded in 1980 that provides services, programs and resources to empower domestic violence victims and their children to live free from abuse. The organization operates an emergency temporary shelter at an undisclosed location for up to 36 women and children who flee abusive situations in Charleston, Berkeley and Dorchester counties. Those interested in supporting SAAB's effort, please bring donations to the College’s Academic Services department located on the first floor of the Carolina First Arena. For more information, contact Kate Tiller at 843-953-3660 or tillerk@cofc.edu.