New arena

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
swampcougar1

New arena

Post by swampcougar1 »

Will the construction ever start. This game should be in the completions stages by now instead of still fighting the political games in Charleston.
Cougars2357

Post by Cougars2357 »

Having been involved in contracting, capital projects, and government appropriations... I can say that they are absolutely moving forward and dealing with the normal issues that come up!

As they move closer towards ground-breaking and construction, you'll see more public contact... (i.e. the small donor projects like names on seats, plaques, and bricks)...

But these type of things are the "tail-end" of the project....

There isn't a veil of secrecy... If you ask the project leaders, they'll give you the status....
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

I realize there is no veil of secrecy. I am referring to all the politics about the site, looks,size and etc getting to the present point.
Cougars2357

Post by Cougars2357 »

What political games are you talking about? The Board of Archtectural Review? The BAR is just a fact of life for building projects on the peninsula.

For all of the pluses and minuses about him, Lee Higdon takes capital projects very seriously and has done more to move them forward than anyone since Harry Lightsey and Ted Stern.

Or are you just ready to play in the new building???? (I know I am... dang back hurts every time I sit in those bleachers!)
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

I was referring to selecting a site and then being told no it would hurt the neighborhood. That was at least a 6 month delay there. Meanwhile the orginal site is going to something else and the grocery store all were concerned about back then has been torn down anyway. I know the review board is a fact of life but all those things together sure slows the process down in Charleston. Yes I am getting ancy. I just wish there were going to be at least a 1000 more seats. I am a firm believer is you get no bigger than you think and act.
hackcat

No doubt, money plays a (the) big role but...

Post by hackcat »

how did they arrive at 5k for seats. I know the Kresse arena seats "around 3500", 5k isn't that much bigger, although I'm sure the building will be much nicer. It seems to me 7k would be a better fit because we could get some higher mid major and even larger conferences to do a home and home without losing our advantage at the Coliseum. I think the UMass and Auburn games would have fit nicely in a 7k downtown arena.
Cougars2357

Post by Cougars2357 »

Well... let's see the site issue was the city trying to use the College to "revitalize" the East Side. Realistically, it was all a part of moving the "talk" of a new facility to "project" phase.

The real issue was that the city wouldn't guarantee the safety of our students moving back and forth to a building that was more than 2 or 3 blocks off campus.

To keep the arena on campus, the tennis court site was the only option available. The architects are using every inch of space to provide seating and a first class facility. The only other solution would have been to go to Patriots Point or some other off-campus location.

After studying the seating issue, attendance issue, and the intended use of the facility (as basketball and volleyball only), the consultants recommended that 5000 was the right amount. It would accomodate an increase in students and more season ticket holders, without giving us the Mcalister Field House empty building syndrome. The study was pretty comprehensive, as it included surveys and visits to the BiLo Center, the Dean Dome, etc., etc. to get an adequate perspective.

As for the Piggly Wiggly, there will be a brand new one very soon!