Recruit?

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
davids

Recruit?

Post by davids »

I don't know how interested CofC really is in this player, but I thought I'd pass along this article from this morning's Charlotte Observer:

N.C. Scoring Record Broken

Statesville Christian's Zygis Sestokas, a 6'5 senior shooting guard from Vilnius, Lithuania, set an N.C. record for scoring Tuesday night in a 117-32 victory at Covenant Day.
Sestokas scored 76 points to break the record of 72 set last year by Statesville Christian's Edwin Ofori-Atah, who is now playing at William & Mary.
Sestokas was 14-21 from 3-point range, 13-17 from 2-point range and 8-14 from the free-throw line. He also had 11 rebounds and six assists.
Statesville Christian coach John Jordan said an assistant from College of Charleston, which had shown the most interest by area schools, was in attendance so he wanted to showcase Sestokas.
"The kids got behind it, and we just let him go." Jordan said. ..."I feel like College of Charleston left pretty impressed."
Jordan said Oral Roberts and Chattanooga have also expressed interest.

I left out some comments by the opposing coach describing Sestokas as a pure shooter.
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

Thanks for the info.
cofcxc

Post by cofcxc »

In the "for what its worth" dept.:

Shane McCravey twice scored more than 50+ points for Eastside in Sparkle City against better competition.

Good to see that the coaches are searching for those diamonds in the rough.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Thank you David for the info. Now be honest. Is he that good because he plays for a small schooll against poor competition. How does he do when playing against a good team with a hand in his face all night. Good shooter obviously playing against a poor team. Anyone with that many points in a game must have some upside to them but you, I know, understand what I am asking. If right there in McKillop country why is your team showing no interest if he is that good.
cougcagers

Post by cougcagers »

he's rated a 2-star prospect by rivals. the following was posted there:

Unsigned senior Zygis Sestokas had a shooting night of a lifetime, scoring 76 points in a blowout win for Satesville Christian (N.C.) High school. The 76 points by the 6-foot-5, 190-pound shooting guard from Lithuania broke the North Carolina high school single game scoring record formerly set by Statesville Christian's Edwin Ofori-Attah, who is now a freshman at William & Mary.

"I have never witnessed a shooting performance like the one Zygis put on tonight," said Statesville Christian head coach John Jordan. "He hit his first six three point attempts, was getting put backs and running the floor with reckless abandon. At halftime he had 38 points. Sestokas who had a relatively calm 13 points in the third quarter ignited again in the fourth going 6-7 from the three-point line and scoring an incredible 25 points. At this point it became a spectacle to watch as anywhere from one to three defenders were hanging on him on every shot. When it was all said and done he ended the game with 76 points."

Along with his 76 points, Sestokas also recorded 11 rebounds and 6 assists in 30 minutes of play.

The College of Charleston was in attendance at the record setting performance. No offers are yet on the table for Sestokas, but he does have official visits scheduled for Oral Roberts and Chattanooga.

Sestokas, who has a 3.7 GPA and a score of 960 on the SAT, came into the game only averaging 12 points per game.

Doneal Mack, the No. 109 ranked player in the class of 2006[/db] leads Statesville Christian is scoring with 25 points per game.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Thanks for the article Cougcagers. Wonder if the Cougars are after Mack. Notice the college has offered either yet. recruiting game is very touchy though. You almost have to express interest in a lot of different players in case some you offer go with someone else. Sometimes you get a no because you did show them any love until after someone else said no.
cougcagers

Post by cougcagers »

what type of players do we look for to fill the last 2 scholies? we lose 4 seniors and add 3 already on scholie in mccandies(6'9), johnson(6'7) and hammond(6'3) plus commits brown(6'10) and scott(6'4).
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

I would say guards and in particular a good point guard. Draper and Hall will be seniors nevxt year. Hairston and Nelson small forward types and Josh is definately power forward or center. Three of those recruits are definately inside players and the others probably not point guards/ Could be maybe but probably not.
davids

Post by davids »

I'd guess that low SAT prevents us from recruiting the young man. Maybe if he could prove that his low score stems from lack of familiarity with English.... Probably not, though.
Statesville Christian is small, but they are fairly well regarded. The previous record holder (at 72 pts) was a senior there last year. He was getting lots of minutes as a freshman at W&M earlier this year. Edwin Ofori-Atah is his name. German kid, but I think he is Africa-born.

Donneal Mack can play.
Nycougars88

Lawrence

Post by Nycougars88 »

Arent we also getting David Lawrence?...or has he changed his mind and is going somewhere else because from what I had heard he was one of the top JUCO small forwards around and would probarly help us out a lot.
cofcxc

Post by cofcxc »

Draper will be a junior and will be playing Tony's minutes. I think the first emphasis will be on size, everyone on the team falls into the guard category.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

think the first emphasis will be on size, everyone on the team falls into the guard category.
===============================================
Have to agree to disagree with that.
Horowitz 6'9"
J Jackson 6'8'
Hairston and Nelson 6'6"
McCandies 6'9"
Johnson 6'7"
Brown 6'11"
I see 4 guards by SoCon standards next year. Draper, Hall, Hammond and Scott. Hairston and Nelson may play the so called 3 guard position which is in reality a small forward. All the ones 6'6" and above will be Sophs are below for elgibility if Howrowitz gets his Medical redshirt. Can see no reason to recruit another Big man for next year. Point is the position the Cougars need to go after . Just my humble opinion
cougcagers

Post by cougcagers »

i forgot lawrence...that leaves us with just one spot to fill:

David Lawrence, 6-7, 185, Guard/Forward, Daytona Beach Community College/Atlanta, Ga.

Averaged 12 points, six rebounds and three steals per game last year ... Street and Smith magazine named him a Preseason All-American and one of the top 25 Junior College players in the country ... Lindy's magazine named him one of the top 15 players in America ... also recruited by Texas A&M, UNLV, Baylor and Utah ... Daytona Beach CC is rated as one of the top 20 junior college teams in the country.

“David is an extremely talented wing player who will have gained a great deal of experience playing at Daytona Beach for two years,” said Herrion
barback02

Post by barback02 »

Attn: cofcxc

"Shane McCravey twice scored more than 50+ points for Eastside in Sparkle City against better competition. "

FYI.......

Shane played at Dorman High School in Sparkle City, not Eastside. Eastside High School is in Greenville.
cofcxc

Post by cofcxc »

barback02 wrote:Attn: cofcxc

"Shane McCravey twice scored more than 50+ points for Eastside in Sparkle City against better competition. "

FYI.......

Shane played at Dorman High School in Sparkle City, not Eastside. Eastside High School is in Greenville.
I'm sure you are right about this, perhaps it was Eastside that he scored 50 against... but just pointing out that Shane wasn't the next Jordan and almost ended up being OJ for the Cougars. You never know what you are getting.

Who was the guy from either Riverside or Dorman that played guard for NC and shot the 3??