Ignorant C of C students take it too far on facebook

This is the place to talk smack.
coccougs_fan

Chucktown Wildcat

Post by coccougs_fan »

Just a little good natured ribbing, CharlestonWildcat. You certainly have two good programs to choose from . . . and yes, the target is most certainly posted (but when is it not for either of our schools).
Seenitall55

Post by Seenitall55 »

Regarding Student Section comments, I simply consider the source.
wildcat12546

Post by wildcat12546 »

I don't see how you can't call that chant homophobic. I'm not saying the students who were chanting it hate gay people. But the chant seemed to be a clear extension of the sentiments expressed on the facebook group's page which clearly go beyond the realm of good-natured ribbing. They're so homophobic that I'm not going to repeat them here. It's one thing to joke about something in a situation between friends where you know for sure that you don't have to worry about offending others. But when it's done in such a public venue and by an entire crowd its meaning is altered. It's not just a joke among friends. I'm not worried about Steph Curry's feelings. I think it simply lit a fire under him. But I do feel bad for the gay people in attendence who had to witness a huge crowd generalize about people who share their sexual orientation. This type of thing fits the very definition of homophobia: "irrational discrimination against homosexuals." I'm not adverse to making fun of your best buddy with a similar jibe because you just beat him in a game of one on one. But you have to admit that the relationship of the students chanting "brokeback curry" to the gay people in the crowd can't possibly replicate the level of trust and understanding that you share with your best buddy. Imagine if they were generalizing about Steph because of his race. I doubt that folks would be claiming that this isn't a big deal.
coccougs_fan

Post by coccougs_fan »

Oh you are so right yet again Davidson - thank you for shining your great intellectual ray of hope on to this backwater campus. While our student body and campus culture has strove for years to provide a welcoming environment for all types of students, you have shown us all once again that we must continue to reach for that penultimate goal of obtaining the rich diverse cultural heritage of . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . suburban charlotte?!

It was a tasteless chant, made by a bunch of young immature students. Most of us don't approve - but get over yourself - earth shattering sign of social injustice it was not.
wildcat12546

Post by wildcat12546 »

I'm just a guy here making an argument, coccougs_fan. Now, I'm only human and no one can be entirely objective, but I think I've done a decent job of avoiding making generalizations. I have never called CofC "backwater" or uncultured and I don't pretend to be above anyone else. Yet, in your view, somehow my making this argument makes me into someone who needs to "get over [himself]." I don't know if other 'Cats fans have suggested such things, but I can only represent myself. I've tried to avoid (and I think I have avoided) making any generalizations about CofC as a school or the students who go there. Nowhere in my post do I claim that the chant is an "earth-shattering sign of social injustice." My point is this. That these kids were, as you put it, "a bunch of young, immature students" doesn't make this less offensive to the gay people in the audience. I'm sure you don't disagree with me on that.

The only reason I decided to bring this up was because I felt that no one who'd posted had considered the possibility that some of the gay fans could have been very hurt by this chant. I wanted to try to represent how it might have looked from their perspective.

If you disagree with me tell me why. I just think it's unfair for you to dismiss my points and essentially call me an elitist jerk because I'm a Davidson alum. You don't even know me. Normally it takes people hours to find out I'm an elitist jerk. :D
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

Technicially, homophobia is a fear of, aversion to, or hatred of homosexuals. Calling somebody a homosexual may be tasteless and offensive, but it is not homophobic.
beachbum

Post by beachbum »

IMO,

This thread has run its course... I think we can agree that kids often do things without contemplating who it might offend first. This is a problem throughout college athletics... remember the Ken Burger article on the USC students a few years back? Anyway, let's talk some hoops.
wildcat12546

Post by wildcat12546 »

I'd like an opportunity to respond to altered's post, if I may.

Since he posted a definition, I thought I'd throw out a couple.

wesbter.com's definition of homophobia: "irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals"

webster.com's definition of discrimination: "the act, practice, or an instance of discriminating categorically rather than individually."

(emphasis added)

The "phobia" suffix shows that the term is clearly rooted in the the idea of "fear" but it has developed to include the idea of discrimination as well which is clearly what this is. The fans chanting "brokeback curry" were clearly discriminating against gay people in the sense that they were drawing some kind of conclusion about what it means to be gay. There's no way to know for sure what they were implying (gay people are bad at sports? gays are less manly?) and I can only offer my own guesses, but these kind of generalizations clearly meet the definition of discrimination and homophobia because they are irrationally categorizing "gayness" as something less good than "straightness." I just think it's unfair to put people in a box based on their gender, race or ethnicity, or sexual orientation.
coccougs_fan

Agreed

Post by coccougs_fan »

Agreed - this post has become tiresome, let's move on to hoops on new threads.

Quick consiliatory response though to wildcat12546 - sometimes written quips come off a little more mean than they would in person. Just picking on the Davidson stereotype a little (feel free to respond with any C.O.C. stoner hackysac playin' unemployed loser jabs you wish).

Irony is - I agree with most your points - Chants - tasteless and rude, Facebook - absolutely inexcusible behavior. Overall though - two great progams with great students / alum / fans (just can't control them all, all the time)

Good luck till we meet again in the tourney.
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

Calling someone gay is not descriminating against gay people, just like calling someone a frenchman isn't descriminating against the french. Since this is way off topic from the original thread, just send me a PM if you would like to add anything else.
wildcat12546

Post by wildcat12546 »

Thanks for the note, coccougs_fan. I appreciate and echo the sentiment. Good luck in the tourney as well. To be honest, I'm hoping we don't meet in it. :wink:
cougcagers

Post by cougcagers »

i think we need tim hardaway's thoughts on this
charlestonwildcat

Post by charlestonwildcat »

very funny...let's hope no one else actually thinks that way or would be stupid enough to admit it.
Btw, I had a nice little chat with Stephen after class yesterday. I think he really said it best. These are more or less his words about the atmosphere, "I couldn't believe how crazy the place was, but it sure felt good after we won the game and the entire place felt silent."
Seenitall55

Post by Seenitall55 »

The point being, as always, that actions speak louder than words.