Uh oh, did the Buckeyes just make a BIG mistake?

Keep discussion unrelated to the Cougars here.
Anonymous

Uh oh, did the Buckeyes just make a BIG mistake?

Post by Anonymous »

Since I might be the only moron on here that watches WWE wrestling, allow me to rehash...Apparently a big group of Ohio State's football team appeared on the WWE broadcast tonight. Then the WWE announced each player by name. We all know Laurinitus's dad was Animal from The Road Warriors, so we know that's how they got the tickets. HOWEVER, as big of a Buckeye fan as I am, they are about to get investigated for this appearance. I do think they'll get cleared, but there will be a BIG stink made about it and it will be a distraction the next few weeks.

Here's the regulations in question, just before I get into it. I know the NCAA manual, and here's the problems just off the top of my head (yes I have the old DI manual almost memorized...lol):
1) 12.5.1.4 - Prohibits student-athletes names or pictures being used in an advertisement of a product/service if the advertisement implies that the squad members, collectively or individually, or the institution endorse the product or service
2) 12.5.2.2 - If a student-athletes name or picture is used to promote a commercial product/service without their knowledge or permission, the student-athlete is required to take steps to stop such an activity in order to retain his eligibility for intercollegiate athletics
3) 12.5.3 - ...the student-athlete shall not make any endorsement, expressed or implied, of any commercial product or service

Like I said, obviously they got the tickets through Laurinitis's dad. The biggest questions will be whether it is common practice to give the son's of former wrestlers tickets and, if so, how many (there was a huge group)....then was he given those tickets in order for him to invite other OSU players along with him? That would then become a HUGE institutional violation.

Regardless of that, the players allowed their names and likenesses to be used for the promotion of a commercial product. Then, the response will be that they didn't know that they were going to be on camera. If you look at the broadcast, both Troy Smith and Laurinitis (at least) posed for the camera, and Laurinitis posed and made gestures regarding the DX shirt he was wearing. They knew the camera was in their face and made no attempt to break or stop their pictures. Anyone who watches wrestling on a regular basis knows that it is frequent practice for the WWE to give free frontrow tickets to area sports franchises (Chicago Bears, St. Louis Cards, etc) and then put their mugs and names on the broadcast, so at least Laurinitis had to know what was going on. The WWE uses these 'cameos' as implicit implications that these players/teams endorse the WWE and the product.

Anyways, it remains to be seen if/what comes of this, but I guarantee that some competing schools will talk to their compliance officers in the morning to try and get OSU in some trouble over this...and very likely some inquiry/investigation will arise.