ASU next

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
swampcougar1

ASU next

Post by swampcougar1 »

On paper I see the Cougars as a better team. Unfortunately games are not played on paper. Seriously they have 1 starter 6'7", one 6'5" and the rest are 6'2" or shorter. Cougars should be able to dominate inside. Question is will the Cougars go inside or try the lala land route with hurried 3,s and no plays. if the latter the Cougars could be in for a long night
GACoug
Site Admin

Re: ASU next

Post by GACoug »

swampcougar1 wrote:... Seriously they have 1 starter 6'7", one 6'5" and the rest are 6'2" or shorter. Cougars should be able to dominate inside. Question is will the Cougars go inside or try the lala land route with hurried 3,s and no plays. if the latter the Cougars could be in for a long night

If they don't go inside against this team I will join the others who are continually bad mouthing Herrion.

They need this win to get back to .500 on the road. Go Cougs!
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

EGO wrote
If they don't go inside against this team I will join the others who are continually bad mouthing Herrion.
===============================================
LMAO. Notice I have been trying to bite my tongue this year on that subject for the most part. I am dreaming maybe he has learned a little the first 2 years. I do see some improvement and hoping it continues. At least he is saying go inside now and realizes lala land and quick shots is not the way to go. Still see little evidence of coaching at the games. He is either a cheerleader or spewing verbal abuse at the players on the sideline. That being said there is an improvement over last year so far. I am still reserving overall judgement until the end of the year. If this team does get better that will be a big improvement over the last 2 years where the Cougars regressed as the season went on. From what I have seen so far the team has progressed since the first of the year which is good. Now if they do not go into the end of the year tailspin I will be much happier and say there is hope for him
asu66

Things have changed...

Post by asu66 »

We have a new starting lineup...3 sophs at 5-8, 6-2 and 6-2 along with two frosh at 6-7 and 6-8. Please don't beat us up too badly. 8)
cofcgrad02

Re: Things have changed...

Post by cofcgrad02 »

asu66 wrote:We have a new starting lineup...3 sophs at 5-8, 6-2 and 6-2 along with two frosh at 6-7 and 6-8. Please don't beat us up too badly. 8)
With this lineup, the ASU midgets will be BIGGER than our starting lineup if Herrion goes with SJack at the 3 and Tavon at the 4. Hall's 6'2, Mitchell 5'11(yeah right), SJack 6'2/6'3, BJack 6'6, and Nelson's 6'6.

I think Nelson will be a good player for us, but why in the world is he getting 20 minutes a game and starting right now? 4 points and 5 rebounds in 37 minutes the past two games combined. Ugh.

What the lineup should look like if the most deserving players actually, well, started:
Hall
Mitchell
SJack
BJack
Horowitz

I was probably far too optimistic about our ability to use a size advantage this year since all the "bigs" are freshmen(Horowitz might as well be as little as he played last year w/the mono). It could all be very different if Josh gets his head into the game more and brings a better disposition to the court on a regular basis. He's the potential game-changer, as we saw earlier this season when he dropped 22 on Harvard. Yeah, Harvard's not a great team, but dropping 22 on any D1 team means you have some skills and talent, that's for sure.
chascougs

Post by chascougs »

I agree that Josh Jackson could be a difference maker for this team, with the emphasis on could. From what I've seen so far he takes far too many poor shots (gee there's something we hardly ever see in Tommy Ball), gets himself too far down low many times, is a black hole when he does get the ball (how many times has he forced a shot while double and even triple teamed) and is a lousy defensive player. Don't get me wrong, with proper coaching and motivation we might have a very special player just not right now.