Wando Students Charged

Keep discussion unrelated to the Cougars here.
chascougs

Post by chascougs »

Jesus, what a nightmare for the parents. I got into some trouble when I went to Wando (ages ago) but nothing of this magnitude.
Seenitall55

Post by Seenitall55 »

They weren't.
Thinking, that is.
I can give you dozens of "explanations," but it boils down to this ...
Between poor parenting, the absolute alienation inherent in a student body of 3,000-plus, and increasingly common adolescent risk-taking, you've got a recipe for Columbine Stew slowly coming to a boil at a bunch of local high schools.
Ever walk on campus at North Charleston?
Stall?
West (for god's sake) Ashley?
Stratford?
And some of these, like Wando, are so-called "good" schools.
You get what you pay for. (And we don't pay much.)
You reap what you sow.
And people are surprised?
Either parents and teachers had no clue, OR they actually had an inkling and did nothing.
You tell me ... which is worse?
How about, just once, holding kids to a higher standard instead of lowering standards to accommodate them.
Your move, Bob Hayes and Lucy Beckham.
cofcgrad02

Post by cofcgrad02 »

It isn't the amount of money, SIA. Utah has the lowest expenditure per student in the nation yet routinely cranks out some of the highest average test scores and graduation rates. Allocation of resources, of course, also plays a role-- $8,100 per student per year (that's SC's figure for 2004-05) should be sufficient to properly educate them, but so much goes towards administrative costs, legal wrangling and general mismanagement of funds that the 8k figure really isn't all that useful in determining how much $ goes into the actual education of students. Check with your local school board and, just for one example, ask how much of the budget goes towards teacher salaries vis-a-vis administrators' salaries, and the proportion of employees who are faculty.

More to the point, however, as you noted, it really comes down to parental engagement with students' school life and general cultural trends within the communities. Without a culture that emphasizes education and students brought up to respect learning, it's an uphill battle.
Seenitall55

Post by Seenitall55 »

Those wacky Mormons!