GSU

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
GACoug
Site Admin

GSU

Post by GACoug »

Really holding serve at home. Last night they dropped UTC by 20+ pts. NeIn a couple of weeks they have a stretch where they go on the road for 5 of 7 including @Davidson, @Furman, @Wofford, and @UNCG. It will be interesting to see how they handle that.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

GSU normally a lot better at home than on the road but obviously so are the Cougars
GSUStudentEagle

Post by GSUStudentEagle »

Unfortunately, the game is conveniently "sold out" and GSU fans that called today were denied tickets.

This is a travesty that we can't get tickets. It was a real blast last year in Kresse--and it's a shame that you guys didn't hold back some tickets for GSU fans. I think you guys would be outraged if your trip to Hanner was "sold out" and no CofC fans were able to purchase tickets.

I'll do whatever I can to buy tickets--but there's no way I'm driving all the way to Charleston without a guaranteed ticket. If any of you guys want to sell tickets, let me know and I'll be glad to take them off your hands.
chascougs

Post by chascougs »

Your logic escapes me. Why in the world would CofC hold tickets back for a visiting team? I know that we play in a crackbox but, we have historically been the highest % capacity year after year. Makes sense to reduce your homecourt advantage as well as alienate your fan base. If you are such a die-hard fan, come to Charleston (its only 2 hours or so) stand outside of Kresse Arena and I'm sure someone will give you a ticket as long as you don't act like a Hanner Hooligan until you get inside.
davids

Post by davids »

Here's an idea: call the basketball office and see if they have any player comp tickets available. For such a nearby road game they may not have any left, but it is worth a try.
Bob the Eagle

Post by Bob the Eagle »

what's the deal with your new arena plans?
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Hopefully they will finally start in the coming year. Not sure at this point what the final total capacity will be. I think pushing 6000. Should be a boost in recruiting and maybe even get a big school to play there instead of the barn in North Chuck.
GSUStudentEagle

The GSU radio announcer is quoting a COLLEGE OF CHARLESTON administrator as saying that there are plenty of tickets still available for the game, but that CofC doesn't want the Hooligans there to jump on their floor like we did last year.

Shame on you guys. Shame on YOU!
Maroon&Gold

Post by Maroon&Gold »

Well, I don't mind that we're not giving away tickets to GSU students...that would be stupid of us. More of our students=louder and more home court advantage...we do have the highest home winning % in the NCAA all time.
Go Cougars! Go Tigers!
GSUStudentEagle

Maroon&Gold wrote:Well, I don't mind that we're not giving away tickets to GSU students...that would be stupid of us. More of our students=louder and more home court advantage...we do have the highest home winning % in the NCAA all time.
Typical. Seriously, it borders on being criminal discrimination. If there are tickets available, you should sell them. End of story.

It's wrong. Next year we should keep you guys out of Hanner... but then again, we're a better program than that.
hackcat

Post by hackcat »

So why is it we should want make sure "hooligans" have a chance to show themselves? I don't have a problem with fans supporting their team on the road, but jumping around like a bunch of boneheads after the game is classless and actually rather dumb. Just my opinion.
PaintedCougar

Post by PaintedCougar »

The tickets for non-season holders and non-students (aka vistors) get sold out REALLY FAST for all Saturday home games, no matter who we are playing. And CofC has a very limited number tickets for vistors, including those visitors for other schools. I'm not sure who your announcer talked to, but I don't think it was the right person. You should have no problem next year getting tickets as we'll be playing at the North Charleston Coliseum.
VolleyBallCoug

Post by VolleyBallCoug »

Why would we be playing at the North Charleston Coliseum? I thought that we would still be able to play at Kresse Arena while construction of the new arena was going on.
Cougars2357

Post by Cougars2357 »

You are correct. There are no plans for us to play in North Charleston (other than for CSU, large games, and the SoCon Tourney)....

The arena design allows us to play in the current building until the new major portion of the new facility is done...

After we move, the Johnson Center will be gutted to add new locker rooms, weight rooms, racquetball courts, etc.
PaintedCougar

Post by PaintedCougar »

I stand corrected then. I thought for sure with the renovation project that we would have to play at least one season. Glad to know that won't be happening (i hate playing in the barn!). Well, then GSU students: NO TICKETS FOR YOU!!!!!!!
GSUStudentEagle

hackcat wrote:So why is it we should want make sure "hooligans" have a chance to show themselves? I don't have a problem with fans supporting their team on the road, but jumping around like a bunch of boneheads after the game is classless and actually rather dumb. Just my opinion.
Evidently you didn't have a problem with your fans coming up and trash talking to us. Your students were constantly walking buy us and cussing, or giving the "suck it" signal, etc. You calling us classless and rather dumb is like the pot calling the kettle black.
Bob the Eagle

Post by Bob the Eagle »

hackcat wrote:So why is it we should want make sure "hooligans" have a chance to show themselves?
i am not doubting the fact that they are sold out. however, i am pretty sure it is a NCAA violation to intentionally discriminate against fans who wish to purchase general admission tickets if they were available. secondly we are a mid-major conference and any support from member schools should be seen as a plus.