Questions

Keep discussion unrelated to the Cougars here.
swampcougar1

Questions

Post by swampcougar1 »

Will there be basketball before Jan? Will all fall sports be canceled? Will we be dropping some sports because of finances?
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
cougclass75

Re: Questions

Post by cougclass75 »

Just my opinion with no inside info. here goes....... no,yes,yes...
hoping I'm wrong.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Could you imagine a conference championship being decide by having the fewest key players miss 4 games because of being quarantined
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Should there be fall sports before Jan?

In brief I would answer no.
A vaccine isn't arriving before 2021.
In general pro sports in the US and most of the world are operating in a strict quarantine situation. Plus they are backed by(unlimited resources) at least in comparison to most situations.
College student athletes- in comparison to pro athletes, are going to interact and mingle far more increasing the chance of someone getting exposed.
Indoor sports arenas? How could that even work.

Still these decisions aren't made purely on medicine grounds. Money, politics, bias gets involved. How else can you justify the possibility that schools are still considering having football in the fall.
If they try to have football then it will likely fail spectacularly and the end result would be all sports being cancelled or shelved.

Then again if our country comes to its senses and people/government start behaving in a responsible manner and we contain the curve like the European and asian countries did then fall sports starting in November. Once again this would require an effort by multiple parties(testing, aggressive contact tracing and isolation) that simply does not seem feasible right now.
bojack

Post by bojack »

matrojan wrote:Should there be fall sports before Jan?

In general pro sports in the US and most of the world are operating in a strict quarantine situation. Plus they are backed by(unlimited resources) at least in comparison to most situations.
College student athletes- in comparison to pro athletes, are going to interact and mingle far more increasing the chance of someone getting exposed.

Still these decisions aren't made purely on medicine grounds. Money, politics, bias gets involved. How else can you justify the possibility that schools are still considering having football in the fall.
If they try to have football then it will likely fail spectacularly and the end result would be all sports being cancelled or shelved.

Then again if our country comes to its senses and people/government start behaving in a responsible manner and we contain the curve like the European and asian countries did then fall sports starting in November. Once again this would require an effort by multiple parties(testing, aggressive contact tracing and isolation) that simply does not seem feasible right now.
:lol:
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

And you know this how?
What is definition of fail?
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

sweetpea wrote:

And you know this how?
What is definition of fail?
College football rosters are about a 100 people. There is another 50 or so support staff that interact closely with them(coaches, trainers,equipment,etc)
These kids have to go to class right? Or are student athletes the only ones on campus.

What happens if 20 players on Alabama test positive? Does Auburn agree to play them that week?
Eventually it will all break down there is just no way.

If they pushed things to February at least there would be some prospect of a vaccine around the corner.

Now our government may announce a vaccine in the fall, but that would be one that would be most assuredly not fully vetted. Then there would be the scale up question. College athletes should, in that scenario, be one of the last to receive the vaccine.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

So we have migrated from a definitive statement the college football in fall will fail spectacularly to a hypothetical.

Let's roll with your hypothetical. Alabama has 20 players positive. Auburn plays them and trusts Alabama has quarantined those 20.

And yes, this has become political. And yes money will drive some of the decisions (already has with many schools dropping sports and conferences finding reasons not to pay guarantee games).

But stating something will spectacularly fail based on ............? A little much.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

I'll say one more thing at the risk of everyone's ire.

We will eventually ALL be exposed.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Football will be driven by politics/money. No one knows right now for sure. Okay to have different opinions. If clemson had to go play boston college tomorow they would have to quarantine 14 days no one knows what situation will be in oct/nov.
bojack

Post by bojack »

Good, when do the layoffs begin? Athletic dept and admin types have gotta go if not working. Slash costs, save the budget and taxpayers like every other industry has to do.
Fill those dorms with homeless veterans. Go.
coug91

Post by coug91 »

matrojan

Post by matrojan »

I haven't had a chance to respond lately, but as time goes on I just cant see it happening.

My scenario of 20 people would absolutely result in a postponment/forfeit.
This is why any such boot up of a sports season, outside of an enclosed system like the NBA is doing is impossible.

Recently in a call with Dr. Gupta NFL estimated it needs 18k Covid tests a WEEK!. Once again we are talking about a professional organization with a limitless budget. College Football?! with all due respect does not have that.

So yes I wholeheartedly stand by my initial statement that any attempt to start College Footballl will end in failure. You can take umbrage in the use of "spectacularly" qualifier, but it does not change the underlying facts on the ground. The logistics of playing college football during COVID are unfathomable.

I wont even begin on the morality of trotting out student athletes.
bojack

Post by bojack »

matrojan wrote:I haven't had a chance to respond lately, but as time goes on I just cant see it happening.

My scenario of 20 people would absolutely result in a postponment/forfeit.
This is why any such boot up of a sports season, outside of an enclosed system like the NBA is doing is impossible.

Recently in a call with Dr. Gupta NFL estimated it needs 18k Covid tests a WEEK!. Once again we are talking about a professional organization with a limitless budget. College Football?! with all due respect does not have that.

So yes I wholeheartedly stand by my initial statement that any attempt to start College Footballl will end in failure. You can take umbrage in the use of "spectacularly" qualifier, but it does not change the underlying facts on the ground. The logistics of playing college football during COVID are unfathomable.

I wont even begin on the morality of trotting out student athletes.
morality :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
coug91

Post by coug91 »

Oral Prophylactic: Hydroxychloroquine, Zinc & Remdesivir

A @#%& of these two drugs + zinc has proven over and over again to work for the vast majority of infected people. The media & political scam/cover up is about this is coming to an end.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

coug91 wrote:Oral Prophylactic: Hydroxychloroquine, Zinc & Remdesivir

A @#%& of these two drugs + zinc has proven over and over again to work for the vast majority of infected people. The media & political scam/cover up is about this is coming to an end.
Not sure what your background is, but Hydroxychloroquine(Plaquenil) is not an effective treatment for COVID. That has been proven pretty decisively.

Remdesivir is promising but more study is needed.
bojack

Post by bojack »

matrojan wrote:
coug91 wrote:Oral Prophylactic: Hydroxychloroquine, Zinc & Remdesivir

Not sure what your background is, but Hydroxychloroquine(Plaquenil) is not an effective treatment for COVID. That has been proven pretty decisively.

Remdesivir is promising but more study is needed.
:lol: :lol: :lol: matro exposed for the fraud that he is. :lol: :lol:
keep pushing your agenda.
:lol: :lol: "That has been proven pretty decisively." :lol: :lol:
Cougie Monster

Post by Cougie Monster »

I’m pretty sure Matro is a doctor and bojack isn’t.

This is the most 2020 thread of all. Which sucks.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

I am a physician at a major hospital that was part of the early wave of COVID.

It was terrifying at first like a slow moving tidal wave. (At its peak half our hospital was COVID patients and our ICU was full and having to transfer patients out). The entire operation was switched over to COVID. Pediatrics, same day, etc was changed into COVID wards.

We did not know what to do early on so yes everyone who was suspected of having COVID got hydroxychloroquine when they were admitted(based on the seemingly promising results by the French group). After about a month or so it was painfully obvious it wasnt doing anything so when the recommendation came down from the infectious disease society to hold it we did.

When we were knee deep in COVID Remdesivir was not widely available you though we started to use it later on the folks that arrived the sickest.

The idea that our efforts(medical community) were done with any regard other than the best interest of the patients is frankly insulting.

With that I am moving this to off topic.
hungry

Post by hungry »

How about Tricor (Abbvie) as treatment to keep diagnosed patients off of ventilators & possibly discharged in about 5 days? Israeli & British studies?
bojack

Post by bojack »

Its hilarious that this 50yr old very widely used very safe drug that many more doctors in the know on the front lines of this virus found it effective in treating their patients and it was immediately banned by govenors and dismissed as dangerous by other doctors with an agenda as soon as the fat orange boogeyman said that it might be effective from early reports. Some in your profession should really be ashamed of themselves and held accountable for the harm they continue to do..
Go ahead and give me your very embarrassing science is settled argument again knucklehead. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

hungry wrote:How about Tricor (Abbvie) as treatment to keep diagnosed patients off of ventilators & possibly discharged in about 5 days? Israeli & British studies?
I am very leery of silver bullets.
COVID is like a pyramid. Most do well. A fraction of those have to be hospitalized. A fraction of those need ventilators. A fraction of those die.
What type of experience you get largely depends on what is the makeup of your immune system(read genetic predispositions) and a host of other factors like obesity, diabetes,etc.

The best form of treatment as far as I can tell is early aggressive anti-viral in those who show a heavy exposure combined with or followed by immune/inflammation suppression to keep the immune system from spinning out of control.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

bojack wrote:Its hilarious that this 50yr old very widely used very safe drug that many more doctors in the know on the front lines of this virus found it effective in treating their patients and it was immediately banned by govenors and dismissed as dangerous by other doctors with an agenda as soon as the fat orange boogeyman said that it might be effective from early reports. Some in your profession should really be ashamed of themselves and held accountable for the harm they continue to do..
Go ahead and give me your very embarrassing science is settled argument again knucklehead. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Governors did not have the power to Ban the use of drugs. Dont talk nonsense.

Yes Plaquenil is LARGELY safe. That doesnt mean everyone should use it. Aspirin is LARGELY safe but should not be used by everyone either.

But what you are refusing to accept is that it doesnt work. Therefore blasting that we should use it is harmful.
Science and Medicine don not listen to the "fat orange boogyman" they look at data.

What you should be asking is WHY are there certain elements that keep needing to dredge the question of hydroxychloroquine when the lead doctors and scientists do not believe it is useful.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06 ... t-covid-19
bojack

Post by bojack »

matro doubling down on his agenda. :oops:
keep digging little pretend science guy. :lol: :lol:
ThomasDiSantare

Post by ThomasDiSantare »

swampcougar1 wrote:Will there be basketball before Jan? Will all fall sports be canceled? Will we be dropping some sports because of finances?
This is not known for certain. When the league drew up the calendar for the restart of the 2019/20 season, December 1 was the start date for the next season.
Commissioner Adam Silver told CNN last month that he believes the season should have started no earlier than 2021. January is an option, but the season can start much later - even in March. For now, we can only guess. There is no official information.