Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: Tulane
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:15 pm 

Tuesday 7:30 pm TD arena. Flo sports. Should win

Post subject: Re: Tulane
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:33 am 

Interesting team
Coached by Ron Hunter who is a vet coach. Really successful at Ga St.

Really young, almost all freshmen and sophomores.
They play a really slow Earl Grant pace so we will certainly want to speed them up and test their depth.

They are 2-4 but all there losses are by a couple points.

Probably a close one but hopefully we can pull away at home.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:31 am 

Great podcast on Cougar blog with Everett Some preview of Tulane included

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:12 pm 

For fee tickets pm me by 5 pm. Have 3

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:32 am 

Forgive me if this beating a dead horse but I am pretty frustrated.

I was gonna watch the game tonight on Flo. Paid for a membership on 11/12 and now it says I don’t have one and I must register. What a joke of a company, I have the charge of 32 dollars and change showing on my credit card statement and everything, and I watched the opening weekend without issue. Over 30 dollars a month for a UI that looks like it was a crappy FIVERR job and streams in 720p. I hope the conference is happy.

Alright rant over

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:53 am 

The more I watch us play the more I think Reyne Smith is our best player. 6-10 from 3 tonight. Nice to see Meeks facilitate (6 assists). Tucker with 17 off bench.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:13 am 

ATLCoug wrote:
The more I watch us play the more I think Reyne Smith is our best player. 6-10 from 3 tonight. Nice to see Meeks facilitate (6 assists). Tucker with 17 off bench.

Underwood also had 7 rebounds and a bunch of steals all-around stats he is most valuable player on team

Last edited by swampcougar1 on Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:39 am 

swampcougar1 wrote:
ATLCoug wrote:

Meeks also had 7 rebounds and a bunch of steals all-around stats he is most valuable player on team

Meeks’ stat line passes the eye test, but also had several bad passes that were near TOs and multiple forced bad shots that may as well be TOs. Not sold on him after his good start to the season.

Reyne on the hand looks be the real deal. If he stays here all 4 years, will finish as a top 3 career scorer, maybe #1 if he can develop that beautiful Goudelock floater.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:46 am 

cougar04 wrote:
swampcougar1 wrote:
ATLCoug wrote:

Meeks also had 7 rebounds and a bunch of steals all-around stats he is most valuable player on team

Meeks’ stat line passes the eye test, but also had several bad passes that were near TOs and multiple forced bad shots that may as well be TOs. Not sold on him after his good start to the season.

Reyne on the hand looks be the real deal. If he stays here all 4 years, will finish as a top 3 career scorer, maybe #1 if he can develop that beautiful Goudelock floater.

I do not know how Meeks name showed up in my post. I edited it Underwood is one I was referring to

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:01 am 

Great to see this team develop even after the Bolon injury. Tough first seven games and we lost the games we were supposed to lose and stole one that we shouldn’t have.

Gonna get tougher in December with the 3 road games in a row (including the rematch next week) and the DC trip, plus conference play beginning at the end of the month.

Smith already has 25 3s. Our top shooter last year had 39 in 19 games.

I don’t think I had ever seen anybody throw anything on the court at TD before tonight. Probably an overly drunk student. Great to see the turnout even on a humdrum Tuesday night. It was a sleepy game for the first half and much of the second, but they got loud at the end when they needed it.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:37 am 

Heck of a game....
Given that most of his squad is underclassmen Ron Hunter is gonna have himself a team in a couple years. Reminds me of the squad we had with Earl year 3. Hopefully we keep the series up.

Danny summed up Reyne Smith perfectly in the post game. He knows what he is and doesn't try to be who he isnt. Helps him be successful quicker.

We are really missing one ball handler/facilitator IMO. There are three guys on the team that can do that right now(Underwood, Ali, Meeks). Sometimes you get a squad in their with too many guys who have limited ability to facilitate and you end up struggling.

Hunter quickly nullified our two 5's by forcing them out and having their bigs dribble by them to the basket. We adjusted by going small too, but that affected our depth a bit. Since neither Lampten nor Osi have plus offensive games we can't punish teams for going small.

Good break out game for Horton who looks increasingly comfortable in what the staff wants him to do. He isn't there yet but he seems to be closing the gap between him and Burnham.

Thank goodness we got opening weekend Tucker back. Nick if time.

End game sequence was UGLY. Coach may need to rethink who is out there. Ali is so small he is really easily trapped.
May want to start thinking about giving Osi a go in these situations. Gives you a deeper target and seems to be able to hit a FT(probably a death wish)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:42 am 

You are forgetting the chili dog that was thrown at Steph Curry.

Glad to know the kids are bothering to be bothered again.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:46 am 

Never saw the tech actually called for flopping. Thought they always gave a warning before calling it

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:29 am 

cofcxc wrote:
You are forgetting the chili dog that was thrown at Steph Curry.

Glad to know the kids are bothering to be bothered again.

Lol. I thought that was a chick-Fil-a sammich. As much as I hated those Davidson games, they were fun times. Would love to get the juju back.

Refs were a little inconsistent. The no call at the end of the first half was questionable. Pretty sure Reyne got both arms hit on his attempt.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:31 pm 

Watching replay.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:33 pm 

Fun game.

Was hoping to see second half adjustment where we make Tulane pay for a trap. Instead we saw those traps almost undo us.

Tulane shot 90+% from FT and ~52% from the floor and we still won. Rebounds and steals.

Think I'll even go to the Presby game....like watching the team play.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:30 pm 

Tucker could be a facilitator. I was glad to see Osi taking foul shots at end.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:05 pm 

Good game. Was great to finally be able to make it down for a game. TD is an absolutely fantastic venue.

Few observations - Underwood is a tank. Can’t believe he played D3. Complete unit. This teams needs another ball handler. Not sold on Ali just yet. Plays hard but makes some very bad decisions. Having Tuck play well off the bench is huge for this team. He shouldered off nights scoring from Meeks and Benny and prior games Vice verse.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:38 am 

A lot of bad decisions are being made in the interest of trying to do something heroic when the shot just isn't there.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:56 am 

Happy to escape that one with a win because we were a few small miracles - Tulane's missed bunny falling to Reyne's hands, Osi's free throws - away from a complete meltdown at the end. Cougs took their foot off the gas once Cook fouled out, so hopefully this is a lesson learned about trying to run clock and settling for bad shots late in games.

The matchup in NOLA next week is going to be a tough one. I think our hot shooting (48% from deep) masked some issues. Navigating the zone still seems to be a work in progress, but it was great to see Meeks facilitate for others. Tulane shot over 50% from the field even with that stretch where we went up double figures. Ali and Reyne are going to continue to see traps and double teams.

Much-needed bounceback game for Tucker, and Ali finally hit some outside shots that kept us rolling. Great to see Horton finally get the monkey off his back too - he's been getting better every game. Rebounding continues to be a major strength for the team.

I'll take 5-2 all day against our schedule.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:46 pm 

Chili Dog w/mustard off the back of the back board...classic

Post Posted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:12 pm 

Tulane part 2. At Tulane Tues Dec 7th 8:pm. ESPN+.
Just want us to get better each game. Time to start working on TOs and fouling. Major improvement in those 2 areas between now and conference play would be huge.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:41 pm 

Do they still do the watch parties at Uptown Social? I want led to go out a see.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:14 pm 

They said they would stream it on request

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:36 am 

Cut out the turnovers and that was fun and impressive. Tulane announcers said CAA should beware of Cougars. It's good to be deep. It's better when those 3's drop, right Swamp?

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball