@ Towson

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
charlestondxman

@ Towson

Post by charlestondxman »

About a 6.5 point dog tonight. Were 8 to start the day. About 11 points on KenPom.
swampcougar1

Re: @ Towson

Post by swampcougar1 »

charlestondxman wrote:About a 6.5 point dog tonight. Were 8 to start the day. About 11 points on KenPom.
Ken Pom probably closer
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Playing our way to a play in game
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
charlestondxman

Post by charlestondxman »

They play their butts off every game just the inexperience we were fearing early in the season has come. Hard to win when you only have two guys score in double figures and your top 3 point shooter is 0 of 10 from the field and 0 of 7 from 3.

And they were right there for most of the 2nd half. Towson is probably the best team in the league.

Only the bottom two teams will have play-in games this year with no JMU in the tourney. All that really matters in this league is the 3 days in March.

Now we get an angry JMU team after a buzzer beater loss to UNCW.
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

Weirdly I think I'm more encouraged by this game than the UNCW loss. Towson might be the best team in the league. We kept the turnovers down, won the rebounding battle, and saw signs of life from the front court, most importantly Burnham and Farrar.

But man, for a run and gun team we have so few run and gunners. At least 6 of our 12 guys right now are a complete non-threat from deep. Throw in an off night from Smith and it's really ugly.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

The year is a work in progress.
Today was far better than the UNCW game, but i think it was a better matchup for us.
It's been a long time since Towson had that many guys that
can just hit contested shots. It's tough bc there were a lot of possessions where we played good d and just got beaten by a shot.
I don't think we have ever out rebounded a pat skerry team so that was nice.

I agree that the downside of Kelsey's platooning has to be some loss of flow and continuity on offense. We had been able to wear teams down in second halves. And to some extent that happened. The whole was just too big.
ATLCoug

Post by ATLCoug »

Not a bad showing against what could be best team in the league. I’ve now come to the conclusion that this will likely be a 3-4 year rebuild. Earl left the cupboard bare and Kelsey needs time to get his guys in that fit his system. Very confident we will be the top team in CAA once Kelsey gets 3-4 years of recruiting classes.
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

I’m optimistic that PK will find the right players to compete in the CAA. Smith and Burnham look like they belong, and those were the guys the staff spent the most time recruiting. With the CAA being “up” this year and back to playing all their games, Kelsey should know exactly what pieces we need and he’ll have open roster spots.
GoCougsGo

Post by GoCougsGo »

cougarsurf11 wrote:I’m optimistic that PK will find the right players to compete in the CAA. Smith and Burnham look like they belong, and those were the guys the staff spent the most time recruiting. With the CAA being “up” this year and back to playing all their games, Kelsey should know exactly what pieces we need and he’ll have open roster spots.
I'd like to think this line of thought is what we are accustomed to with previous coaches but this transfer portal thing will send Smith and Burnham to the big boys next season.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

I like to think we would get at least another year from both of them.
Burnham is the more P5 ready of the two, and definitely after 2-3 seasons of heavy minutes at CofC i could see that threat. Still he is a quiet kid not unlike Riller. Maybe he won't want a big school.

Smith isn't P5 ready and only would be in very niche systems. His ceiling is Fletcher Magee or Drew Goudelock, but Magee was 6-4 which made it more difficult to contest his jump shots. Goudelock's first year numbers are a little ahead of Smith.

And in the end if this starts happening, who knows it may make more talented HS seniors choose CofC