At Stetson

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
charlestondxman

At Stetson

Post by charlestondxman »

Game against a former TAAC rival in Stetson tonight at 7 on ESPN+. Gonna be interesting to see them on the road against a CAA level team. KenPom has this as basically a toss-up, CofC by 1.

Stetson only has 3 wins though, 2 against non D1s. The line has us as a 4.5 point favorite.
hungry

Re: At Stetson

Post by hungry »

Could be a trap game. We'll see how staff handles it.
Glad we can watch on ESPN+
All players back from injuries, except Bolen?
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Records can be decieving. They have had some close games against some very decent teams. There is a reason we are only about 4 point favorites.. Do not know how this considered a trap game. Playing a decent team in spite of record on their home court. I will be very glad to get a win.
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
hungry

Post by hungry »

I won't be happy to get a loss
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Live and die by the 3. Tonight we died. 4 for 26 is pathetic. A game like this to be expected though. They let us shoot outside all night. Not surprised as cold as we were. Meeks out seriously hurts our inside scoring.
charlestondxman

Post by charlestondxman »

Just one of those nights. If we had made 3 or 4 of those shots they win. Shocking though to see this against a middling Stetson team that is about the same as the Lipscomb team we beat earlier this year in the same conference.

Gonna be a up and down team this year. Better to see this now than in conference play.
Cougie Monster

Post by Cougie Monster »

The starting 2nd half line up of Baba, Lampton, Ali, Smith and Horton made absolutely zero sense. And to play them for over 4 straights minutes was insane. I love PK but that lineup when we needed points is nuts.

There are games when I think this team could be really good… and then games like this where I’m seeing potentially fatal flaws.

Really hope Smith hasn’t hit a freshman wall. Same with Benny. And Baba looked lost.

No other way to say it other than that was bad.
hungry

Post by hungry »

Other than shooting % we had pretty good stats (rebounds, t.o. etc) but we had 1 block to their 7. My wife really doesn't like us driving into trouble in the paint.
Horton leading scorer 14 & rebounder 9
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

The three-point shooting is the story of the game, but as PK said in the postgame, good teams figure out a way to win even when it's not their night from distance. The effort to cut the lead to 3 was great, but the sloppiness to fall down double figures early in the second sunk the Cougs. I believe that's the first game CofC has lost as a favorite.

Our bigs put virtually no pressure on a defense right now, so teams will just guard the perimeter, keep a defender glued to Reyne if they can and recover if Ali finds someone inside. Couple that with Tucker and Burnham cooling off and the pace slowing and our offense looks a lot more pedestrian. Experience and getting Meeks back will hopefully help.

Nice game from Horton. Great to see his hustle show up on the box score.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Really similar to the PC game with the big difference being that Stetson had more size and better offensive sets. That and Tucker has the most lopsided home/away 3pt shooting i can recall seeing. He is somewhere close to 70% at TD and in the low teens on the road.

Meeks is so important to this squad. Everything revolves around him. He can handle the ball and break a press, he feast with the space inside created by our shooters. When the defense has to counter he can pass out of it and give our shooters a rhythm three.
One of the reasons our three point shootis down is because we are not getting good rhythm threes. It's either a good rhythm shot by a player who isn't a good shooter or a forced shot.

Faye, Burnham, Horton all have limited offensive tools, which is perfectly reasonable since all are true freshmen. Unfortunately when they are together for heavy minutes the half court offense tends to stall.

Either way this loss doesn't bother me nearly as much as the Furman game. Horton and Faye got some nice minutes which is gold in their young careers. We had a a bad day move on.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Oh i will add we could very well have come back in the game if that kid doesn't hit the three from mid court as time is expiring. Took the air out of us.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Horton continues to improve. Had a very solid game last night.
hungry

Post by hungry »

After OK St & last nite I hope shooting doesn't desert us again.
That wasn't a good prep for trip to Norfolk/DC coming up
When do we see Nikita?