Presbyterian

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
swampcougar1

Presbyterian

Post by swampcougar1 »

Sunday 2 pm at TD arena. Streamed on Flo. 2nd Sun so King Street closed. Should win but maybe tougher than some may think. Their coach is familiar name. Quinton Ferrell. He focuses on defense and slowing game down. Mostly copy of Earl Grant style. If he is able to dictate pace could be frustrating game for our players. We need to work on taking care of ball and playing defense without fouling. Hope to see Farrar and Horton start picking up a few more minutes.
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
swampcougar1

Re: Presbyterian

Post by swampcougar1 »

Vegas odds favor Cougars by about 9
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Osi, Faye and Meeks out
Comp Time

Post by Comp Time »

Squeaked out a win. Farrar and Tucker did the heavy lifting and Underwood was all around good. Hard to believe we overcame missing 3 starters, Reyne having a bad shooting day, Ali missing 13 shots, and a slow pace of play.

Ali couldn't buy a shot all day )missed 13) and then hit the final 2 shots of the day to steal the win. Good for him!
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Considering 3 starters did not play very good win
Cougie Monster

Post by Cougie Monster »

This is a good win culturally for the team. Throw in Bolon being out and they were down 4 key guys. It’s a game they still should have won, even with the injuries l, and they did. But how they did it is the impressive part. At one point Ali and Smith were a combined 0-18 shooting. I think Kelsey’s system breeds depth. With their style, lots of guys have to play so easier to attract depth and get buy in from folks coming off the bench.

Tuck was fantastic tonight. It really helps when he has spacing, which was due to PC extending on Smith. Keep finishing at the rim goin man!

One other thought I had watching the game was just how lucky we have been over the last 7 years at the PG position. Going from Joe to Zep with grant playing the combo role in between is something I have taken for granted. Still don’t have that pure PG who knows exactly where everyone needs to be / understands the pace to play at consistently.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Attendance 3648. Not bad for a 2 pm Sunday game with a lot more going on in the area today.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Really happy we were able to pull that out.
Hopefully some guys gain some confidence. Tuck feasted on the spacing, but you can also see the offense is dependent on a front court scorer. Farrar has that and he will probably inherent Meek's minutes next year.

Sechan major props to him. Probably not expecting any minutes outside of mop up time. Came in and gave great effort/execution.
charlestondxman

Post by charlestondxman »

Yup. That was one which I did not think we would have a chance to close out. Presbyterian basically is an Earl Grant coached team with Ferrell. I saw multiple Grant-style possessions where they struggled for 27-28 seconds to find a shot. Luckily their style will work in the Big South where they will not have to face length like some of the CAA teams.

Those Sunday exam games are always the deadest atmospheres of the year. It was pretty dead until the final couple of minutes when we realized it was going down to the wire.

That is a game we don’t come close to winning last season.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Much better taking care of the ball last night. Still way too many fouls. Like Farrars offense
. 14 points in 14 minutes last night. Fouls are what is limiting his minutes now. Injuries are day to day from what I understand. Hope all healthy for next game