Board thoughts on Marshall?

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
upstatecougar

Board thoughts on Marshall?

Post by upstatecougar »

I am torn on Gregg Marshall. Sure he is one of us but he spurned us once and he does come with baggage from his time in Wichita. Can we do this after the Wojick fiasco?

On the other hand.....lets be honest, the overall state of our Athletics Dept is a mess. Not really competitive across the board. Could a Marshall hiring be a good thing for all?

Its a risk for sure. Is it a risk we want to consider? Risk vs reward??
GACoug
Site Admin

Re: Board thoughts on Marshall?

Post by GACoug »

Marshall had baggage at Winthrop. I posted about it back when he accepted the job here and then left. It wasn't a new development. I'd like to win, but not by taking a chance on him.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Good coach but too much baggage. No.
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

No.
No.
and
No.
hungry

Post by hungry »

We've both moved along.
Him literally.
charlestondxman

Post by charlestondxman »

I think having a president who has prided integrity since he came on campus (Hsu) makes Marshall a non-starter. If McConnell was still president, I think he would he seriously courted Gregg.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about President Hsu since he’s been in office. I don’t think he wants to ruin that reputation.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

charlestondxman wrote:I think having a president who has prided integrity since he came on campus (Hsu) makes Marshall a non-starter. If McConnell was still president, I think he would he seriously courted Gregg.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about President Hsu since he’s been in office. I don’t think he wants to ruin that reputation.
--Why you think that?
charlestondxman

Post by charlestondxman »

Because his reputation wasn’t sterling. He was basically a fundraiser to get state money into the university and reputation. And him being a state senator and his political views didn’t help that.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

charlestondxman wrote:Because his reputation wasn’t sterling. He was basically a fundraiser to get state money into the university and reputation. And him being a state senator and his political views didn’t help that.
Huh?
Let's not turn this into a political forum.
What wasn't sterling?
Who canned Dougie?
What is the problem with being an elected official? ---unless you are just a partisan.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Marshall is just too toxic.
Too much of a risk. Its a shame since there isnt a coach of that caliber walking through the door.