Drexel

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
charlestondxman

Drexel

Post by charlestondxman »

Weekend series at TD Arena against Drexel starting Saturday afternoon at 1 o’clock. First time home in a while.

Let’s hope we can make more progress.
swampcougar1

Re: Drexel

Post by swampcougar1 »

Will be pleaseantly surprised if we win one this weekend.
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
Cougie Monster

Post by Cougie Monster »

Is flohoops working for anyone or is it just me?
maddog66

Post by maddog66 »

Cougie Monster wrote:Is flohoops working for anyone or is it just me?
No it only has Hofstra. Flo Sports is total crap
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

maddog66 wrote:
Cougie Monster wrote:Is flohoops working for anyone or is it just me?
No it only has Hofstra. Flo Sports is total crap
I can not stand Flo Sports either but this was on CofC. We are supposed to produce the video and feed it to them.
charlestondxman

What a win. That was one that it looked like we were gonna lose for almost the entire game. Zep redeemed himself with the three free throws after finishing 3 of 13 from the field.

Poetic justice after what happened a couple years ago to us against Drexel that ended our long home winning streak.

Now if they can bounce back tomorrow...
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Thank you Jasper for helping make this a good day.
hungry

Post by hungry »

Going 3-1 to start conference play would be sweet, heading into NU weekend.
So when is NCAA basketball recruiting? That's actually bigger than this rebuilding season. Although having wins like this will help with recruiting.
Cougie Monster

Post by Cougie Monster »

More cam Copeland please. And perhaps at the expense of Tucker. Instead of attempting layups, try to dunk everything.
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

Kind of a crazy game. Only 4 Cougars scored more than one basket - Willis, Epps, Copeland, Jasper. The rest of the team was 4-15 from the field and 1-2 on FTs.

I thought Epps and Copeland contributing efficiently was huge. Zep and Smart had their hands full guarding Wynter and Butler. Willis will make a run at First Team All-CAA if he keeps this up. He's the leading scorer in CAA scoring in the early going.

Will be interesting to see if x-factors like King, Harvey, Tucker or Edwards come through today. Last week it was the depth guys who had the leg up.
Cougie Monster

Post by Cougie Monster »

I take back any negative thing I’ve ever said about Tucker. I was starting to worry about if it would click for him, but he has been the best player on the floor today by a wide margin.
charlestondxman

What a difference two games make. Tucker more than doubling his career high. We’re a couple plays in the Saturday Delaware game from 4-0 in the league.

Drexel’s legs were definitely showing in the final few minutes.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Team has improved loads since before Christmas. My optimism for this season going up
hungry

Post by hungry »

Improved shooting % credit to the players.
Almost everything else credit the coaches.
Tucker was a 2 star recruit out of high school, which we don't usually get. Always showed quickness. Finally got to see him finish. CAA player of the week? Only 1 of 7 yesterday.
Now next weekend is big. Do we get swept, do we split, do we sweep? It's all on the table.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Clearly cohesion and lack of familiarity were massive sandbags on this squad. That is finally starting to come together.
Also this condensed doubleheader schedule probably allows for far more coaching to be done in season. Only so much opponent specific prep that a team can do. We were critical of the staff, but credit where it is due. The team has improved.

Tucker likely wont have another game like this for his cougar career. Crazy.
It was top ten points wise but curious to know where it ranks offensive efficiency-wise. Has to be top 4-5.

Zep has been in a complete scoring slump since Brev went down. I hope he can snap out of it. Clearly the extra attention since Brev went down has gotten to him. Something we need to solve.

I was wrong on Harvey. On surf's pod I expressed doubt that he could be a real contributor this year. Terrific shooting touch, and smart play. Kids a keeper. Also total change of pace to Osi which has to help.

Butler kid on Drexel reminds me of that old Wofford big man , Noah Dahlman. Dude was a cougar killer.

Depth is a huge asset. 2-0 on the second day of double headers. Something to monitor moving forward. Drexel lacked it and paid the price.

Epps as a jack of all trades against smaller forwards/oversized guards is gaining traction.
Glad to see Copeland become a viable options.
hungry

Post by hungry »

Agree about lack of depth. Drexel totally missed 3's late when they were tired. Love Bobby Cremins but he proved short rotations don't fare well in back-to-back games & 6-man rotations crash & burn 3rd day. Killed us in SoCon at Asheville & Charlotte. Glad EG is getting lots of people minutes.
Why didn't King play?