Limestone

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
swampcougar1

Limestone

Post by swampcougar1 »

All I know about their team is JMU crushed them 2 days ago. Anything less by the Cougars would be disappointing
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
charlestondxman

Re: Limestone

Post by charlestondxman »

Dominating game, even without Galloway due to non-COVID illness. Announced crowd of 1,439 but it wasn’t that big. I’d say 800-1000 showed up.

We are a deeper team than recent years. Every guy who played today had at least 9 minutes, and nobody played more than 25. Dontavious had some good dunks.

Zep Jasper has improved over the offseason. His stroke looks better.
Comp Time

Post by Comp Time »

Zep looks more aggressive this year, which is good. Willis looks to be a good player and good shooter who should be a reliable 15 point guy. King looks like a beast so far. He's scoring more than a point per minute in the early season and can rebound and defend. Copeland looks like he can be very good; he's long, he can really drive to the basket, and his shot looks good. The freshmen look like freshmen. Lorenzo Edwards looks solid, but not spectacular. Epps seems to have improved his ball handling and is still very strong around the basket.

Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised thus far. Based upon a very limited sample size, we look like we should be in top half of the CAA.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Hard to take too many lessons from this game. Limestone was so overmatched.

King continues to pass the eye test. I would argue he could be starting at the 4 spot right now and your wouldn't see a terrible drop off. The fact that he has 3 more years of eligibility left is really exciting.

Big issue I see is the lack of depth after Osi at the 5 spot. I assume as the year goes on we will end up going small with King as opposed to Samba or Harvey. Samba's mobility is awful. Perhaps he is still getting his sea legs after the acl tear. Harvey's not ready. Since Ogon didn't see the floor I assume he is redshirting?

Epps is gonna struggle moving forward he is just so small for a front court player.
hungry

Post by hungry »

I'm fine with going small in the CAA
nvrgivup_gocougs

Post by nvrgivup_gocougs »

only issue with king is he falls asleep on defense a lot
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

Since Ogon didn't see the floor I assume he is redshirting?
Ogom had offseason shoulder surgery and isn't expected to play anytime soon. Not sure if it's officially a redshirt or not since the NCAA is flexible with eligibility this season.

King, Willis, and Copeland so far have fallen between living up to expectations and pleasantly surprising. Copeland especially after being invisible in the UNC game. The sophomore class is still up and down. Tucker and Epps both showed flashes in individual games this season, but the turnover rate and inefficiency haven't gotten much better.

Richmond is going to be a real measuring stick game.