2020 Tourney

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
chascougs

2020 Tourney

Post by chascougs »

So third meeting with Delaware Sunday afternoon. Start making sacrifices to the shooting gods!
swampcougar1

Re: 2020 Tourney

Post by swampcougar1 »

chascougs wrote:So third meeting with Delaware Sunday afternoon. Start making sacrifices to the shooting gods!
Does not really matter who we play. Shoot good can win. Shoot our norm we probably lose
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
dadpharm

Post by dadpharm »

Anyone know time?
chascougs

Post by chascougs »

Should be around 2.30 Sunday
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

There are no easy options.
On the surface I probably would rather face Delaware than NU, but we could have easily been 0-2 against Delaware. That said... Bill Coen is a wizard and the CofC squad was as helpless as I have seen in years in Boston.

Hofstra vs. WM? Both our tough. We will have to see. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to get a second chance against Hofstra.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

odds favor playing Del. In a 1000 game sample college basketball teams playing a team 3rd time say team that won 2 already will win 3rd 72% of the time.
nvrgivup_gocougs

Post by nvrgivup_gocougs »

would be nice to at least make it to the finals
hungry

Post by hungry »

Is there TV?
chascougs

Post by chascougs »

On the plane to DC...24th straight tournament...man I’m getting old!
chascougs

Post by chascougs »

So I tempered my expectations for this venue and the surrounding neighborhood....I’m still disappointed...have two nice hi-def video boards on either end but other than that the whole thing screams low major tournament....might be better with some fans in here but the seating, lack of any concourse, slum surrounding the area, drab interior, and bad acoustics adds up to a fail!
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Just tuned in to Elon game. Place looks like a dump.
chascougs

Post by chascougs »

Wild game JMU v Elon. JMU jumps out to a 12-0 lead. Elon can’t hit anything most of the game. Sheffield having a horrendous night shooting and JMU crushing the Phoenix on the glass but, as bad teams do, JMU let’s them keep hanging around. Sheffield gets free on a nice baseline drive and scores on a dunk to tie the game with about 40 seconds left. JMU runs clock takes a shot, misses, fight for the rebound goes OOB with first ref saying Elon ball, a second official runs in and overturns the call, JMU ball, they finally go to the monitor and reverse the call for a second time. Elon ball 20 seconds left. Sheffield hits a 12 foot elbow jumper with about 3 seconds left. JMU misses a desperation half court shot. Elon had the lead for a grand total of 3 seconds!
dadpharm

Post by dadpharm »

We stink
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Good teams do not go 5--5 against the bottom half of the conference. 3 of those losses at home. Dread next year no more than those coming back supported Riller this year
charlestondxman

Post by charlestondxman »

Delaware outscored us by 20 from when we led 8-0 in the first 1:51. Just a regression from the last 2 games. Can’t fight an uphill climb literally all day. That is basically what happened.

Bench only got 3 points all day and tried 3 shots. That is not gonna get it done. 8 3 pointers in 16 attempts.

8 3s from Jasper and Galloway. Riller only had 2.

Delaware had 21 points off of 11 turnovers. Another big difference.

Only 3rd time since Cremins became coach that we haven’t won a conference tournament game. 2012 and 2014 the others.
dadpharm

Post by dadpharm »

May be in for a long drought.
chascougs

Post by chascougs »

We are definitely trending in the wrong direction. Nothing that I’ve seen from Epps, Tucker, or Reddish gives me any hope that the recruiting trend is improving either. McCluney looks to be a non-factor along with Richard (he never even took off his warmup today but appeared to be in good health judging by the dunks he was making in warm ups). Jasper is a serviceable PG, improving as he matures but he is now 4 years removed from high school.
King...who knows and looks like we have more of the same coming next year. Color me officially worried about the future of this program.
ATLCoug

Post by ATLCoug »

I’m unfortunately pessimistic as well. We used to be able to get studs to cover up our coaching deficiencies. Now we can’t even recruit. There’s no excuse that we aren’t a top mid major program. None. We have arguably the best campus in the country filled with beautiful and rich co-eds, as well as a very supportive and engaged fan base for a mid-major school. Not to mention the fact we have a super solid academic reputation. No one in the SoCon, CAA, Big South, or Atlantic Sun should be out recruiting us. Only thing missing is a dang coach who can capitalize on all the advantages we have over our competition.
Cougie Monster

Post by Cougie Monster »

Just got back from the game and that was woefully bad. Was my first time seeing this team in person so oblige me a few observations:

- The level of intensity was nowhere near commiserate with the stakes of the game. Saw a lot of smokin and jokin during warm-ups, intros, timeouts, halftime etc. I've seen High School JV teams look more locked in.
- We are very small. Not just height wise, but, for lack of a better word, girth. Half the team seemingly has zero muscle mass.
- Zep plays very hard on defense. The rest of the team?.....
- Zero impact from the bench
- Grant is a great player, just wish he had some Jarrell Brantley in him. This team needed a kick in the a**. Coach clearly couldn't motivate them to play. And unfortunately, they failed to play hard for Grant in his last game.

I shouldn't be as shocked as I am that we fell flat (having watched this team the last month and a half), but I am completely miffed with what i just saw.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

I was very pessimistic about this game.
Though we went 2-0 against Delaware, in the first game Delaware went like 3 for 25 from 3. We all saw the second game which was essentially a miracle.

This squad was fundamentally flawed, and could not overcome it's flaws. Once the conference got a sustained read on us. They figured us out.

William & Mary had a similar problem and bowed out.

Lord I hope Hofstra can win it at this point.
GoCougsGo

Post by GoCougsGo »

I, too, hope Hofstra pulls it out and wins it all but my oh my does this have a Northeastern run to the final written all over it.
maddog66

Post by maddog66 »

Attendance not so great. 1763 yesterday and 2149 first session today. Compared to last year 2578 and 2796. I thought the move to DC was to generate numbers from northeast.
Comp Time

Post by Comp Time »

Sad to say that this is exactly what I expected. I was hoping for a good-shooting three games, but this end was not surprising. I wish Riller could have played a few more games and taken a run at Goudelock's scoring record.

I am REALLY worried about next year. We seem to be missing shooters, a consistent scorer, guards that can create their own shot, and bigs. I hope we can pick up some good late signees.
chascougs

Post by chascougs »

Comp Time wrote:Sad to say that this is exactly what I expected. I was hoping for a good-shooting three games, but this end was not surprising. I wish Riller could have played a few more games and taken a run at Goudelock's scoring record.

I am REALLY worried about next year. We seem to be missing shooters, a consistent scorer, guards that can create their own shot, and bigs. I hope we can pick up some good late signees.
But other than that, all is well!
dadpharm

Post by dadpharm »

Been saying,time for coaching change .