CAA Wish List

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
cougarsurf11

CAA Wish List

Post by cougarsurf11 »

Now that we're officially in the college basketball offseason... the CAA has a lot of room to improve. The league fell behind this year, and will lose a lot of individual talent this summer.

My biggest complaints:

- The TV deal - it's easily the worst of any Division 1 conference. While I love all conference and home games streamed online for free, a broadcast package with CBS Sports Network as its crown jewel is embarrassing. Wouldn't surprise me if the 3x3 title game on ESPN2 outdrew the CAA Championship.

- Investments and incentives for scheduling - I'm sure we've all read the P&C article on the SoCon by now. They put together a fund for schools to buy games, pay out programs that hit PRI marks, and raise production value. Other leagues haven't made changes to league scheduling to maximize RPI. Haven't seen any creativity like this from Joey D.

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/h ... 1c7c0.html

Feel free to weigh in.
sweetpea

Re: CAA Wish List

Post by sweetpea »

TV Deal is awful and falls on the Commissioner. He is asleep at the wheel. Get a TV deal or find another job is my opinion.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

A new commish Would be hard to be worse than the present one
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

That's what they said about the last one.
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

Just going to leave this news here.

https://caasports.com/news/2019/5/5/gen ... rtner.aspx

Since it's not in the press release, FloSports is $12.50/month.
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

Awesome out just keeps getting better
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Will they still have CAA TV?
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

swampcougar1 wrote:Will they still have CAA TV?
Yes, for games not on FloSports or CBS Sports Network.
charlestondxman

Post by charlestondxman »

From what I saw, 90 men’s games and 50 women’s games will be on Flo. The league played 90 conference games last year. So non-con games will still be on CAA.tv, conference games on Flo from what it appears.

And also a few games will be on CBSSN as well.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

God awful.
Leveraging what meager fan support there is to make a quick buck. There is no way to spin this that isn't bad.

Either they had to do it because they are broke which is bad or they didnt have to and they are just greedy and terrible.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Will this be streaming all the sports or just football and basketball?
hungry

Post by hungry »

FWIW- John Weiland Homes advertising on UNCW message board "View Charleston Homes"
Not sure that's a great use of their advertising budget. Maybe they mean Charleston, WVa
Cougie Monster

Post by Cougie Monster »

Re the Flo sports deal - Here in DC a local sports radio station did a segment on DC UNITED’s deal with them and the consensus is it’s an unmitigated disaster. For starters, DC United had to refund folks twice in 2 years because the stream didn’t work. But bigger picture, they are a growing brand who took a cash grab instead on investing in growing their audience. I haven’t heard a single DCU fan who likes the partnership. I see eerie similarities with the CAA. I’ll likely buy the crappy subscription, but man there are going to be a lot of people who watched the cougs for free and now won’t. From there, out of sight, out of mind.
CougarMartin

Post by CougarMartin »

As a DC resident and DCU season ticketholder, can confirm that the FloSports deal has been disastrous so far. I have not myself signed up for it, but the interface has been nonfunctional several times already, and there have been several entire matches that fans have been unable to watch (necessitating a number of placating measures like refunds). It's been a running joke/source of frustration among fans.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

I can't imagine CofC being in favor of this. I am curious what our admins say when off the record.
As far as i can see it is a tax on the out of town alumnus since locals can watch through the MyTv deal.
The fact that these guys run a substandard product only rubs salt in the wound.

I hope heads roll if it does not have the desired effect.
hungry

Post by hungry »

Will CAA still be on ROKU? They certainly don't have all our games but what they have are free (at no extra cost). Usually produced by home team, some are better than others.
charlestondxman

They didn’t have MyTV at all the last 2 seasons. Our only local television was CAA.tv.

That’s something Matt Roberts needs to get on. Radio is taken care of, but most of the people who would tune in are already at TD. They only listen for pre and post.

With no more ACC OTA games there is plenty of space for our games to air. That was one of the reasons why they stopped carrying them. There were multiple games they had to JIP.

We’ll have the couple of games CBSSN will pick up, the 3 games ESPN has rights to in the CA tourney, a couple road games TV will get, and then everything else is open.

The Battery, who struggle to fill half their stadium, have almost all of their games, home and road on MyTV and the ESPN+ USL deal. CofC has averaged 4,000 a game the last 2 years with very little local TV help.
hungry

Post by hungry »

The MUSC/Battery stadium has been sold and will be replaced by townhouses and offices. The Battery is looking to return to an upgraded Stoney Field, from whence they came.
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

A good pair of articles from JMU beat writer Shane Mettlen regarding the discussions at the recent CAA coaches meeting.

The first has some quotes from coaches about the transfer bug - notably regarding UD's Ithiel Horton announcing his decision to leave. The second is about Brantley, Wright-Foreman and Cacok landing on NBA rosters this year. You would think a mid-major league with three NBA talents sticking around for four years apiece would better leverage that fact...

http://www.dnronline.com/sports/caa-coa ... 826e3.html
http://www.dnronline.com/sports/caa-coa ... aa499.html
Cougie Monster

Post by Cougie Monster »

cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

Nice writeup about CAA short-sightedness from our friends up in Philly

http://alwaysadragon.com/throw-away-television/
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

Too good not to share. Please discuss.

https://www.postandcourier.com/health/c ... 50a98.html
hungry

Post by hungry »

I already told him to get over it.
charlestondxman

CofC spends a million more dollars than the top spending team in the SoCon, Furman. Our expenses are $3.3 million. We spend about the same amount as Davidson and Charlotte. The Citadel’s basketball expenses were less than $1.5 million. Charleston Southern even below that at $1.243 million.
Comp Time

Post by Comp Time »

cougarsurf11 wrote:Too good not to share. Please discuss.

https://www.postandcourier.com/health/c ... 50a98.html
This article/opinion is too asinine and misinformed to give it serious thought or discussion.