Recruiting

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
GACoug
Site Admin

Recruiting

Post by GACoug »

Here is a list of the conference signings to date:

http://tinyurl.com/4nznjj2

Here are some potential targets for CofC that I have found on various sites. I don't know the actual level of interest as the sites have conflicting information.

JaQuez Motley, Kevin Richardson, and Tony Kimbro
Mostly BCS schools are listed but CofC is identified a a potential on some sites. Richardson is listed as having interest in us and 4 BCS schools, but I don't see where anyone has offered.

Arlen Harper
WSU and WU are two notable schools that we appear to be recruiting against.

John Pierre and Michael Obi
Not much available other than the names.
Backscreen17

Re: Recruiting

Post by Backscreen17 »

Don't be surprised if we go after one more perimeter player.
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

I found this article that says we offered Motley on February 5, 2010. I believe Clemson, UGA, Arkansas, and Miami are also in the mix. The article is from February 19, 2010.

http://beta.coastalcourier.com/archives/19675/

In the article he stresses being sold on academics as much as basketball.

This article says that we are in his top 5 and that he made a visit last July.

http://beta.coastalcourier.com/archives/22926/

And this from last August says that CofC and UGA are his top 2

http://www.future150camps.com/index.php ... gham-recap
GoCougsGo

Post by GoCougsGo »

If we can score this kid, you can thank the Bobby Cremins name for getting him. This would be the 2nd solid steal we've gotten from a power conference school.
rett guerry

Post by rett guerry »

What strikes me are the across the board high rankings of the Georgia Southern recruits. I know recruiting rankings don't always equal success but, this is two years in a row that They have had an impressive recruiting class. It is bound to pay benefits.

The bad news is: Ga. So. is going to get better.

The good news is: Ga So. is going to get better. SOCON RPIs can't take much more of home and away with RPIs over 340!!!
DEWildcat

Post by DEWildcat »

rett guerry wrote:What strikes me are the across the board high rankings of the Georgia Southern recruits. I know recruiting rankings don't always equal success but, this is two years in a row that They have had an impressive recruiting class. It is bound to pay benefits.

The good news is: Ga So. is going to get better. SOCON RPIs can't take much more of home and away with RPIs over 340!!!
You're making a rather big assumption - that the players currently at Georgia Southern don't transfer out.
A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth.
GoCougsGo

Post by GoCougsGo »

DEWildcat wrote:
rett guerry wrote:What strikes me are the across the board high rankings of the Georgia Southern recruits. I know recruiting rankings don't always equal success but, this is two years in a row that They have had an impressive recruiting class. It is bound to pay benefits.

You're making a rather big assumption - that the players currently at Georgia Southern don't transfer out.
How could they transfer out without sitting a year? Circumstances have not changed unless GSU fires the head coach. IF that happens, then the school could release the players with no penalty.
eagleskins

Post by eagleskins »

DEWildcat wrote:

CY is a great recruiter. One of the best in the country. The only reason why Hewitt was able to keep his job at Tech. Our recruiting class from last year and this year are both stellar. What hurt us big time was Chest Price losing scholarships, and losing Willie Powers and Rucker before the season started. For most of the season we had 7 or 8 scholarship players, with 5 being freshman. Next year, Powers and Drayton backcourt will be dynamic, and Eric Ferguson will be the best player in the league before he leaves(CY's god son, so no way in hell he transfers). We need Baynam, Hewit, and Bussey to develop, and we will be very tough next season, as we get all of our schollies back.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

The way recruiting classes are rated is a joke. They are rated by the total number of stars signed in a given year.

School A: four 3 stars and two 2 stars gives them 16

School B: two 4 stars and two 3 stars gives them 14 points.

School A rated a better recruiting class because of total number of stars. Give me a break please. Which school actually recruited the better players. Because they did not have as many scholerships to give does not make their class inferior to the other school simply because the other schools star points totaled more. Other factors figure into how good a recruiting class is for a particular school also that are not even considered in this rating system Did you sign what you need and sign players that fit your system or did you sign recruits because of stars given them by recruiting services and they were still available. I assure you the latter happens more than you might think it does.
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
DEWildcat

Post by DEWildcat »

Right now, the SoCon is a one-bid league in the bottom third of all conferences in men's bball. There are 345 D1 programs. Only 4 teams from the SoCon were in the top half of all programs (using KenPom) - only 3 using RPI. Relative to other conferences, the SoCon has either been holding steady for the past decade or losing ground.

I've said it before and I will say it again. I would be overjoyed if the level of basketball played in the SoCon rises to the level of ball being played by the CAA or even the MAAC. For that to happen we need steady improvement from almost every team in the conference. I would be happy if GSU is significantly better next year than this year. I just hope that it is not a case where one team gets better while two get significantly worse.
A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

By any chance, any recruits at game tonight?
CofCcougars1

Post by CofCcougars1 »

"if bobby cremins asks you to visit, take the visit!"

Jimmy Dykes and Brad Nessler on ESPN2 during the NIT First Round Game vs Dayton :lol:

Hopefully some young recruits were watching or in attendance.
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

Hopefully Motley was watching.
CofCcougars1

Post by CofCcougars1 »

Altered_Ego wrote:Hopefully Motley was watching.
is he for 2011 or 2012?

I thought the 2011 class was done(including 3 guards)...is there another schollie open?

Hopefully with the season we had, and baru coming in, we get lucky with 1 or 2 big time recruits for 2012 :) . Not asking much, huh?
hungry

Post by hungry »

Someone here said to watch for another guard coming in this year.
CofCcougars1

Post by CofCcougars1 »

Are we after any players who gets a release following a coaching change this year? (arkansas, Nc State,....)

"ACC rules dictate that any player that has signed a letter of intent with a member institution, and enrolls with another member institution, must forfeit a year of eligibility - regardless of whether the institution with whom the prospect signed granted a full release."

It's the reason that Marcus Thornton is at Georgia, and not Georgia Tech. It's the reason that Gus Gilchrist enrolled at South Florida and not Maryland, after leaving Virginia Tech.

Just a thought that ran threw my head, if we have another open for 2011. Going to COFC for say 3 years, under legendary Bobby Cremins, with BARU and Wiedeman for all three years as team mates, with a new arena, and Charleston Girls...some star may bite :)

Are the Bahamas confirmed for 2011-2012?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ool/_/id/8
I'd take any of them! What a class he had signed before getting fired. All from That part of country, but isn't Charleston just amazing?
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

Already have 2 very good guards coming in this class. Who is to say one of them will not be the next Goudelock. Was not Goudelock a star from his first game on. I thought Dixon was the best player on the court in a game I watched this year on TV. This game featured 3 so called McDonald All Americans. He was the only senior on either team that had not signed with a BCS school. Some say Stitt is betetr than his cousin at Clemson. Remains to be seen what they do here but they are rated higher than any tandom of guards we have ever signed
Backscreen17

Post by Backscreen17 »

What was our record Goudelock/Simmons/Wiggins/Monroe's freshman year?
hungry

Post by hungry »

13-16
College of Charleston POSSIBLE Starters ...
F... 11 ... Dustin Scott .................. 6-8 .... 220 .... Jr. .... Jamestown, S.C ........... F... 44 ... Antwaine Wiggins ......... 6-7 .... 180 .... Fr. .... Greeneville, Tenn. ......... F.... 5 .... Jermaine Johnson ........ 6-7 .... 250 .... Jr. .... Los Angeles, Calif. .......
G ... 3 .... Andrew Goudelock ...... 6-1 .... 170 .... Fr. .... Lilburn, Ga. ...................
PG 32 ... Tony White, Jr. ............. 6-0 .... 150 .... So. .... Knoxville, Tenn. ............
Others ...
G ... 1 .... Donavan Monroe .......... 6-1 .... 180 .... Fr. .... Waxhaw, N.C. ............... G .. 31 ... Marcus Hammond ........ 6-3 .... 190 .... Jr. .... Memphis, Tenn..............
F... 21 ... Jeremy Simmons.......... 6-8 .... 225 .... Fr. .... Lithonia, Ga. ..................
C .. 34 ... Konimba Diarra .......... 6-10 ... 250 .... Sr. .... Mali, West Africa............
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

I susoect that next years squad will have a record similar to the first year by these Seniors. A lot hinges on Baru making it through the potential clearinghouse pitfalls though.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

I think the 3 starters we have coming back have a lot more upside than the 3 we had Goudelocks freshman year. I am thinking Lwrence will be the point guard. Who starts at the 2 who knows yet but that will be the only position we have no real experience at. If Baru plays and is half as good as advertised this could be a very good team next year. Dixon could well be the back up for Wiggins and Stitt the 2 guard. That is all speculation at this point though. We will know a lot more after they all arrive and we see them play in person. All I am saying is I can see a lot of promise for next year and am not selling them down the drain as being mediocre before they have a chance to prove what they can or can not do. Show me one team in the conference that has more actually coming back besides maybe Dav
hungry

Post by hungry »

Backscreen17 wrote:What was our record Goudelock/Simmons/Wiggins/Monroe's freshman year?
Was there a point?

BTW- Don't think Wiggins isn't #2 next year..
numb

Post by numb »

unless the socon really stinks it up, i see about a .500 record for us next season.
if we can replace the quality of our departing seniors with freshman in this league, then "get me off this crazy thing jane"
i'm actually hoping gsu, uncg & others get a payoff for their down years.
wofford will def be down also. no bye for us next season
hungry

Post by hungry »

It depends on how quickly the freshman step up. We've got 3 returnees along with Carlton with some time, Scott, who should have had more minutes (my strongest criticism of the staff), & Super Matt (whatever). I hear good things about Johnson but know nothing myself of him. If Baru, Stitt & Dixon are as advertised and with some of the other schools rebuilding, then we may just be reloading and surprise everyone. Also Planet X (another guard) may be on the way. Only time will tell if I am right or I am wrong. (Now you've got a tune going through your head.)
cofcbball3

Post by cofcbball3 »

They finished 16-17. But i think next years team will have more than that team did. I mean there are 3 starters returning. Along with the entire bench.