CAA additions

This is the spot to talk about cougar basketball.
GACoug
Site Admin

CAA additions

Post by GACoug »

Two northern teams and a Virginia team. So much for the conference expanding southward like they indicated they would when we joined. Although, the announcement said that the conference is ready to add 2 to 4 more teams.
sweetpea

Re: CAA additions

Post by sweetpea »

So the "South" / North split becomes?

"South"
Cougs
UNCW
Elon
Bill and Mary
Hampton
Towson

North
Northeastern
Hofstra
Stony Brook
Monmouth
Delaware
Drexel

I was for the move to CAA at the time. BUT, we should have stayed in SoCon.
Stony Brook? Monmouth? snore.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Yeah pretty clear that since our departure the SOCON has become what we always hoped it would be while the CAA has kind of floundered. Being shut out of the ESPN ecosystem has been particularly painful(the absurd Flo sports stuff is just a start).

Some in the Mbb twittersphere it was mentioned that CofC will be a team that conferences may target next year. We will have to see what that means. SOCON and A10 are the only conferences that make any sense without significantly changing the geographical footprint.
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

I'm not sure the SoCon would be where it's at now without the wave of departures and replacements during the last round of realignment. ETSU and Mercer helped boost men's basketball, and using the school exit fees as a prize pool for hitting certain performance metrics was pretty brilliant.

I'd expect the CAA to make a push for 2 southern schools to appease CofC, UNCW and W&M but word is that every SoCon team turned down the offer. Who knows which schools that leaves.

Right now I'm rooting for one or more of St. Louis, Dayton, Duquesne or Fordham to leave the A-10 and open up a spot. Then that footprint becomes a lot more similar to the CAA.
82hawk

Post by 82hawk »

sweetpea wrote:So the "South" / North split becomes?

"South"
Cougs
UNCW
Elon
Bill and Mary
Hampton
Towson

North
Northeastern
Hofstra
Stony Brook
Monmouth
Delaware
Drexel

Who knows if it will happen, but the goal was 14 teams with this expansion. Have to believe that Towson wants to be in the North, so look for two more adds for the South, one with football and one without. This divisional setup should be far more attractive to bring on schools up and down the east coast. The quality and size of the schools in the CAA is far superior to the SoCon. The CAA has realized it's error with FloSports and I have every reason to believe it will not be renewed and a deal with ESPN will be made. I believe the long term upside for the CAA is greater than the SoCon. UNCG had a nice run with Miller, but they are already coming back to earth. I wouldn't be surprised if they reverse course and reconsider the CAA with the possibility of adding NC A&T as well. Both are located in a pretty populated area of Greensboro NC. I'd love to see an add from South Carolina, but which schools are there that have a great upside and would benefit from the move? Small private colleges most likely have no reason to move. I honestly don't care what they do with the north division, but the CAA fans from the north like the adds and they really don't affect the south.

The current adds aren't exciting to those of us in the south, but the move to divisions is the best move the CAA has made in decades and I think it will pay dividends in the long run.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

82hawk wrote:
sweetpea wrote:So the "South" / North split becomes?

"South"
Cougs
UNCW
Elon
Bill and Mary
Hampton
Towson

North
Northeastern
Hofstra
Stony Brook
Monmouth
Delaware
Drexel

Who knows if it will happen, but the goal was 14 teams with this expansion. Have to believe that Towson wants to be in the North, so look for two more adds for the South, one with football and one without. This divisional setup should be far more attractive to bring on schools up and down the east coast. The quality and size of the schools in the CAA is far superior to the SoCon. The CAA has realized it's error with FloSports and I have every reason to believe it will not be renewed and a deal with ESPN will be made. I believe the long term upside for the CAA is greater than the SoCon. UNCG had a nice run with Miller, but they are already coming back to earth. I wouldn't be surprised if they reverse course and reconsider the CAA with the possibility of adding NC A&T as well. Both are located in a pretty populated area of Greensboro NC. I'd love to see an add from South Carolina, but which schools are there that have a great upside and would benefit from the move? Small private colleges most likely have no reason to move. I honestly don't care what they do with the north division, but the CAA fans from the north like the adds and they really don't affect the south.

The current adds aren't exciting to those of us in the south, but the move to divisions is the best move the CAA has made in decades and I think it will pay dividends in the long run.
If not UNCG why not Winthrop?
You are who you are because you are who you want to be
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

I dont share hawk's optimism.
Happy with Stony Brook and Monmouth?
UNCG and NC AT?

We don't have a commissioner. We have someone present in an office with a travel budget to watch his son play sports for Villanova.
Learning from Florida sports...? It never should have been taught.

I like Winthrop.
charlestondxman

Post by charlestondxman »

The key is getting off of FloSports. The league will always have a negative reputation otherwise. Stony Brook and Monmouth at least solidify the New York market, which is our 2nd biggest alumni area. Hampton is closer to the South than Howard.
matrojan

Post by matrojan »

Flo Sports was a straight money grab. I really hope it will be reinvested wisely.

Always felt that Furman made sense for the CAA. They are a private with a solid endowment good academics, and a footprint sports wise that overlaps really nicely. I suspect they aren't interested in a move, certainly not without Wofford.

UNCG or Winthrop would be reasonable.

We will have to see what happens, but SOCON schools turning the CAA down is not good for long term viability.
Cougie Monster

Post by Cougie Monster »

The Flo deal was so short sighted and, while indeed was a money grab, really didn’t produce a ton of per program revenue. At least Roberts was against it real time, like most of us. It is nothing more than a paywall platform with little other content. ESPN+ is less than half the price and has tons of live content even outside of college hoops.

The CAA is in trouble IMO and adding these 3 teams does not inspire confidence. We now have 2 schools on Long Island? Sweet! In the south we traded JMU for Hampton. Anyone think that’s a net positive? Why would a socon team want to join the CAA at this point?
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

Flo Sports was a straight money grab. I really hope it will be reinvested wisely.
I believe the FloSports cash was always allocated to buying airtime on CBS Sports. As far as I know it was never spent on anything else.

Next year will be the final year of the Flo deal. Hopefully everyone has realized it is the worst men's D1 college basketball media deal in the country and we switch over to ESPN+ immediately.
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

It's official now, all 3 join starting July of this year. Now they need to pickup two southern teams.
ATLCoug

Post by ATLCoug »

All 3 of these pickups are downgrades. Any chance we can join the A10?
GACoug
Site Admin

Post by GACoug »

ATLCoug wrote:All 3 of these pickups are downgrades. Any chance we can join the A10?

Going to have to get to the tourney more. And more importantly, going to have to make a deep run in the tourney or multiple appearances with 1 to 2 wins. Otherwise, I don't see them being interested without losing a number of teams.
hungry

Post by hungry »

Interview with Matt Roberts today's P&C. He says we are in best conference for us and hope to stay here awhile. Hopes to add more teams in the neighborhood.
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

For all around sports Stony Brook is a good edition. Can not base it on just men's basketball
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

Robert's was speaking to the "Commissioner" thru the media.

I don't buy the CAA footprint helps the school overall.
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

The Monmouth and Stony Brook additions definitely track with where CofC is pulling students from these days. The class of 2024 has more kids from New Jersey than any state outside SC, and the top three out-of-state feeder schools are all in Connecticut. Similar data over the past few years.

https://today.cofc.edu/2020/08/25/class ... n-profile/
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

cougarsurf11 wrote:The Monmouth and Stony Brook additions definitely track with where CofC is pulling students from these days. The class of 2024 has more kids from New Jersey than any state outside SC, and the top three out-of-state feeder schools are all in Connecticut. Similar data over the past few years.

https://today.cofc.edu/2020/08/25/class ... n-profile/
Yeah. So, what?
cougarsurf11

Post by cougarsurf11 »

Yeah. So, what?
The school sees value in an athletics conference with a footprint that overlaps with markets where they want to promote the school and attract students.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

cougarsurf11 wrote:
Yeah. So, what?
The school sees value in an athletics conference with a footprint that overlaps with markets where they want to promote the school and attract students.
May be.
The school overall argument is lost on me.
What IS the value of gaining more students from NJ, NY, MA, MD, DE?
We ARE a state school, btw.
Comp Time

Post by Comp Time »

sweetpea wrote:
cougarsurf11 wrote:
Yeah. So, what?
May be.
The school overall argument is lost on me.
What IS the value of gaining more students from NJ, NY, MA, MD, DE?
We ARE a state school, btw.
From a school perspective, there are 2 values to getting these kids. First, they pay out of state tuition. Second, their average SAT/ACT is 30% higher than in-state students which helps the USNews rankings and other metrics.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

NC, GA, CA, FL, VA, TN ---insert any state-- pays out of state tuition.
And. We are a state school.
By no means should in state kids take a back seat to out of state. We pay taxes for a reason. Chasing out of state kids at the expense of in state is problematic.
Also, average SAT scores by state is skewed. Many states allow kids to not take.
How about we manage in state education and bot some magazine's ratings?
swampcougar1

Post by swampcougar1 »

In state kids can get in if qualified. All our state schools take in out of state kids. Mainly because there is not enough in state ones applying to fill them up.
sweetpea

Post by sweetpea »

swampcougar1 wrote:In state kids can get in if qualified. All our state schools take in out of state kids. Mainly because there is not enough in state ones applying to fill them up.
All schools everywhere take out of state students.
I'm not buying that not enough in state students are applying. Slots are limited. Qualifications are going up---fine, to a point. I think we have reached that point and are now chasing out of state students at the expense of in state.
Sports conference alignment is a rationalization not a reason.
IMO.