Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: Elon
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:32 pm 

This has "trap game" written all over it. Elon is winless (0-6) in the CAA, and coming off a Tuesday loss at JMU.

I'm still not over the Phoenix coming to TD last year for a sellout and walking out with a comfortable win...

Post subject: Re: Elon
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:44 pm 

Win both we could be in 3rd place at least until next weekend. Hofstra plays at JMU this weekend.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:57 pm 

Great win today. Needed a blowout type game like that. Final margin could have easily been 25 or so but we had our backups in for a while at the end. Nobody with more than 16 points. Very balanced scoring.

Epps was considered the MVP on KenPom. 8 points and 6 rebounds. Also 3 steals. Not bad at all.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:05 pm 

Best game they have played all year. And the last 17 minutes of the first half was some of the best basketball I have seen from Charleston in a long time. This team could be dangerous if guys like Epps, King, Tuck and Cam continue to develop. May be a product of playing bad teams lately but this team has clearly gotten better over the course of the year.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:57 pm 

Guess I shouldn't have been worried. Shaky start and finish, but running up the score by 30+ sure was fun to watch.

The whole game flipped when Grant subbed in Epps, Copeland and King after the first media timeout. He talked postgame about how those three plus Houston and Harvey tend to win their share of scrimmages against the starters in practice.

As matrojan noted, this should go down as the best 3pt shooting team in Grant's head coaching career. CofC currently ranks top 40 nationally as a team. Four guys shooting 40% or better from deep.

With Hofstra's loss to JMU today, we moved ahead of the Pride for 3rd, based on win percentage.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:29 pm 

Win the 3 remaining games we should win and split at Hofstra we finish 3rd. Better than I anticipated at Christmas even if we finish 4th.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:08 am 

Everyone saw it coming and even then having the first 4 minutes unfold like they did was nerve wracking.

Luckily Earl has his best ever bench and can dial up instant energy from them.

We have beaten up on the bottom of the CAA this last week. Got to take care of business tomorrow to setup the critical road showdown at Hofstra. Still it's hard to gauge where this team stands. Top half for sure, but is it 3rd or closer to the middle. I feel better about this squads chances than i did last year's team. I guess that says something.

Hofstra totally let the game against JMU get away from them. Up 6 with a couple minutes to go. Shame. Would have like to have seen JMU stumble a little. Hopefully Hofstra wins tomorrow. First to tighten the standings and second to have them less desperate against us.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:55 pm 

# 1 on my wish list today. King play at least 15 minutes and not foul out.

Hope for a strong start today and put them away early

Chat?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:53 pm 

Pre Christmas game today after seemingly huge improvement since then

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:32 pm 

Surf gets his trap game.

First game 2 where we were worse than Saturday. Obviously previously where our depth made a difference against teams. Game 1 was such a blowout that Elon probably didn't wear themselves out. Their minutes were all spread out. Add that to the positive/negative motivation element between the two squads coming off the blowout.
It's telling that Everett and Danny felt trouble in the water before the game. They watched this squad and basketball in general to see the problem. There were likely warning signs early on.

There isn't enough star power on this team to carry the load when things aren't working. I had assumed that they would be able to counteract that with depth and energy lineups.

When Zep tries to do too much bad habits settle in. He starts pressing. First time in a while l saw that with him.

None of the complementary pieces stepped up today.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:08 pm 

Yup. When Elon got up 15-5 that was a huge warning sign. They never could get anything going resembling a long run all day. Every time CofC made a couple shots to make the game closer Elon answered with a big 3 or a make at the rim.

Elon had NOTHING to lose. They came in here last season with a sold-out crowd, us just having taken over first place, and almost the same game happened. With 80% less fans, they knew what to do.

Just rough since a win would have put us 1.5 out of first and instead we finish the weekend in 4th only half a game ahead of Delaware for 5th.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:18 pm 

Lot of questions after this one. But a few that come to mind:

Why didn’t king get more minutes in the 2nd half?
Why did we settle for so many bad shots?
Why was there zero sense of urgency in the last 3 minutes?

Man, big let down. Was very clear after Saturday that we are the more talented team. I was surprised we laid such and egg, but maybe I shouldn’t have been

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:25 pm 

Add another question.
After seeing a zone for...I don't know .... most of the game, can not find a way to attack it?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:47 pm 

charlestondxman wrote:
Yup. When Elon got up 15-5 that was a huge warning sign. They never could get anything going resembling a long run all day. Every time CofC made a couple shots to make the game closer Elon answered with a big 3 or a make at the rim.

Elon had NOTHING to lose. They came in here last season with a sold-out crowd, us just having taken over first place, and almost the same game happened. With 80% less fans, they knew what to do.

Just rough since a win would have put us 1.5 out of first and instead we finish the weekend in 4th only half a game ahead of Delaware for 5th.

Actually we are still in 3rd place. JMU beat Hofstra again today and is now in 1st place as Towson beat NU today. Next weekend at Hofstra will be big for final 3rd through 7th places in seeding for tourney

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:59 am 

After we tied it at 32 they pulled 11 ahead (final margin) with 12 minutes left, which is still doable. From then on it seemed we didn't have the right lineup in the game. I'm now back to being less enchanted with Eppes. Was Tucker being rested or discipleined? After playing a couple of minutes yesterday, no time for Harvey, especially last 4 minutes when we had to have 3's. But Earl didn't miss any shots or free throws. Mostly, give Elon credit.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:16 am 

Another momentum-killing home loss to Elon. Especially painful after all the optimism that yesterday's game triggered.

Seems like the broadcasters, fans, media... everyone but the home team anticipated a better effort from Elon today. Cougars looked like their non-conference selves in this one - huge lapses on defense, stagnant offense outside Willis and Jasper, inconsistency from the role players etc.

We saw the flip side of the underclassmen today. Some wild possessions from guys like Tucker, Epps, and King. And no surprise contribution from a role player.

Hopefully it's just a learning experience, and an inability to bring an edge after dominating Saturday. But Hofstra is going to be hungry and playing at home next week. Cougs haven't left Charleston since January 3rd.

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball