Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: Northeastern
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:19 pm 

Might as well start talking about it.

Gonna be tough as hell. I am not sure if we can even split it.

Post subject: Re: Northeastern
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:37 am 

Are you talking about the pretzel at the concession stand?
It's ok with mustard and a Heineken.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:31 pm 

That's a frustrating loss but at least we looked like we can compete with them.

Zep played terrific D on Walker but the offense stagnated when it runs through him.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:41 pm 

As cathartic as we felt last Saturday, as lethargic we were in the last couple of minutes today.

That was one we should have had. That Doherty guy on NU missed 7 free throws and 5 of 6 consecutive at one time and we could not take advantage of that. Tucker, Willis and Jasper all played 34 or more minutes. Our big guys had a lot more of a committee.

Smart played the most of any of them and it was 26 minutes.

Nice crowd today. The students that were there almost showed more excitement than when we had a full crowd of people. Too bad we couldn’t get on a sustained run to keep the fans into it.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:45 pm 

If we could consistently make a lay up or hit the front end of a one and one we win today

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:10 pm 

Three turnovers and four missed shots over the final 3:36 after going up by three. Several opportunities to put the game away and then it catches up to us with Walker hitting the dagger three as the clock expired.

Tucker looks more and more like the third, second, or even primary scorer. Epps also continues to come along, and had a career-high 11 points today. But we really need production from our bigs to balance things out.

Agree with matro that we competed well with the Huskies, but I would hate for that to be our best chance of handing Northeastern a loss. Never know what will happen in a Sunday game.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:17 pm 

Yeah we havent been as clutch finishing games.
Issue really started when Chealey left. As I recall cracks already appeared when we were playing with the big 2. Joe won so many games on his on just by forcing teams to foul him and getting to the line. It was like a cheat code. Joe was #9 in the country as a Junior and just missed the top ten as a senior in FTA. Given our relatively slow pacing that result is remarkable.

Cohen is the best X's and O's guy in the CAA. Yesterday it appeared that he focused on eliminating Willis, which they did. Curious what he does today.

I think King and Copeland not playing as much is a consequence of the difficulty of matching up to NU. You have to be extremely disciplined on D to beat them. King is still really raw, and Copeland is only beginning to get a feel of the system. Coach focused on using Vets yesterday.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:46 pm 

Same old today. They extended all of their energy to come back from the 14 point deficit, then couldn’t complete it in the end.

It’s insane the talent Coen gets to play for them in a school where basketball isn’t even the #1 sport, and in normal times they struggle to break 4 figures a game.

Their starting lineup is a Santa Clara transfer, Walker, Strong (a guy who rarely played more than 15-20 minutes a game), Emanga from Germany, and Stucke from Canada. Their 6th man is a true freshman from Canada, then Doherty, who got the key tip-in today, a transfer from Notre Dame who barely played at all.

If we could make a few more layups.... we would probably be 2-0 on the weekend instead of 0-2.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:56 pm 

Heartbreaker,

Hate it for the guys and the effort they put in the second half.
We have to learn how to finish games better, but you figure thats how it goes with a young team. Plus not having Brev as your closer.
They spent so much energy trying to get back I expected the wheels to come off a bit earlier.

What makes NU such a difficult matchup for us is we can play outstanding D for 25 seconds in the clock only to have them run a little cut for a layup, or drain a three.

Positives:
-Team showed heart, unlike the bad chemistry cougs of last year who just folded the tents and quit in Boston when things got bad. (one of the most pathetic games in years).
-Tucker isnt a flash in the pan. He needs to increasingly be the centerpiece of this offense. Only one that is natural going to the basket both looking to pass and dish.
-Zep can make Walker work and grind him down. Walker is amazing but I like what Zep can do to him.

Negatives:
-Zep and Willis were awful in the first half. I suspect coach is trying to play the long game with Zep. He needs him to be more confident as a scorer, and that takes reps and failures. (this can backfire as well case in point being Marquise Pointer when he came back from injury in the 18-19 season).
A three minute burst from Willis is not enought to defeat a NU caliber team. (long stretches that I didn't even realize he was in the game)
-Free Throws were the difference. Tucker's 4 misses were the difference. He MUST grow into a 80% free throw shooter.
-I would need to see the replay to be sure, but Copeland was late rotating a few times most notably on that made 3 off ball foul play.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:08 pm 

We were beat in last 3 minutes both games by best coach in CAA. Just want to see continued improvement rest of season and players coming back getting more minutes. Have not have up on King. He needs to just catch up to this level like Tucker seemingly has done these last few games.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:57 pm 

Hope players and coaches learned something this weekend

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:45 am 

We are absolutely horrible at late game, run clock then work a shot, have been since Joe Chealey left. We do the same thing time and time again, dribble the clock down to 10 seconds, high ball screen that is defended leaving us no other option than the man with the ball create a shot and Zep Jasper is not that type of guy. We were also getting killed by switching on every screen, which is what we do 95% of the time. If I know what we are going to do, imagine what a decent coach who sees the game a whole different way than my narrow field of vision can do. Shots fall sometimes and sometimes they don’t but it sure would be nice to have a club in the bag for times when you need to do something different. Was telling my buddy who goes to all the games with me that our biggest win again Bill Coen it took us having 3 future NBA draftees on the floor for us to make a miracle comeback and win in OT. On another note, haven’t seen a sign of Houston or Ogem this weekend....anybody know what’s going on there?

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:14 am 

I'm with you chascougs.

Sounds like Houston was exposed to COVID a week or so ago. Wonder if he got it.

I believe Ogon had to have surgery before the season.
Perhaps he redshirts

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:10 am 

He didn’t get it. He tested negative 3 consecutive times, just exposed. If he had tested positive, there would have been a 2 week pause. That’s the protocol.

Ogom was injured before the season

Post Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:10 pm 

https://twitter.com/holycityhoops/statu ... 58688?s=19

Anyone who isn't familiar with Surf's pod. Danny Johnson helped break down the game and the cougars last night.

It's a great listen.

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball