Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: WCU
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:17 pm 

First day of the post Brev era.

Time for new guys to step up.
WCU has a good record based on beating up cupcakes.

Coach is young up and comer Mark Prosser. A peak on his staff shows a familiar face. Ben Betts! For those that recall Ben was a former kresse assistant. Can we poach Ben and get him on this staff.

I expect a win but who knows.

Post subject: Re: WCU
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:45 pm 

Tricky game to handicap. WCU wants to play fast and is capable of putting up points. If we get in a track meet we lose.

Big question is obviously who is going to step up and help carry the scoring load. I have faith that Zep will be more aggressive and look for his shot more. But is there a young guy ready to grab this opportunity? Not so confident

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:37 pm 

Surprised we are 3 point favorites. Defense has not slowed down any offense with a pulse

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:29 am 

We stink

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:34 am 

Not surprised. Will be win 10 this year?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:29 am 

There is a lot of promise with King. A lot. Crazy to think that he might be our best player already as a redshirt freshman, but he already is.

Our offense is limited right now. Zep needs to step up. He didn’t have a good game tonight even with 16 points. He only made 1 of 8 3 pointers and made 5 of his 6 FTs. So that was a very quiet 16. Western Carolina made 23 of their 35 FTs, we only had 11 FTs on 17 attempts.

Great game-tying shot from Willis. It was very weird seeing the atmosphere after that shot. Usually the place would be rocking with 4,000 fans and people jumping and high-fiving in the stands. Instead it was a murmur of claps and individual cheers. You pretty much have to manufacture your own energy anywhere this season.

Tonight was the loudest crowd of the season by far, which isn’t saying much. I don’t think we’ve had a pandemic sellout. When you have 60-70% of the season ticket holders opt out, 30% capacity and people scared to go out of the house, let alone a basketball game, this is what you’re gonna get.

Maybe by February it will get slightly better, but having any fans at all might be an advantage since most of the CAA schools probably won’t have any crowds all year.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:39 am 

It's gonna be a tough year.
Of course Western gets a transfer who can immediately play and he lights us up.
Only reason it's close was Western turning into Towson from the ft line.

Question i asked myself was if this season is gonna look more like Earl year 1 or Earl year 2. It's looking more and more like Earl year 1, unfortunately.
At least we won't have to ask big crowds to come and watch a team that really struggle.

Zep and Payton haven't really developed a chemistry yet and it's hurting us. Zep is so used to being a complimentary piece, it may take some time for him to evolve and Payton defers to him.
At least the coaches reminded them to drive and stop chucking low percentage threes. The first 10 minutes was just a bunch of standing around

At this point you have to live with what you get from Tucker. We have to hope he just starts growing. He is the only one that can attack the basket.

Epps is in some insane shooting funk that effectively neuters what little use he has.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:05 am 

I watched the game last night. I am seeing mediocre play with no fast breaks and poor free throw shooting. I am concerned that we will win no more games the rest of this year! What has happened to the program? I think everyone needs to get behind whatever it takes to bring Greg Marshall here to revive the program. Word is bond.

Also, the CAA has gone from number 9 to number 16 in strength. The administration needs to do everything they can to convince George Washington to give up the Atlantic 10 slot to College of Charleston and vice versa so that George Washington can play in the CAA Tournament in their own city of Washington DC the next two years. Doing so will help the College with recruiting as poor performance does not beget a lot of interested by recruits.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:11 pm 

Cougarnation wrote:
I watched the game last night. I am seeing mediocre play with no fast breaks and poor free throw shooting. I am concerned that we will win no more games the rest of this year! What has happened to the program? I think everyone needs to get behind whatever it takes to bring Greg Marshall here to revive the program. Word is bond.

Also, the CAA has gone from number 9 to number 16 in strength. The administration needs to do everything they can to convince George Washington to give up the Atlantic 10 slot to College of Charleston and vice versa so that George Washington can play in the CAA Tournament in their own city of Washington DC the next two years. Doing so will help the College with recruiting as poor performance does not beget a lot of interested by recruits.

Ok, hoss.
Awaiting what gems will be in your third post

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:43 pm 

A -10 has been a pipe dream for a long time. Little better fit as it is only bball schools. But we would just get destroyed. We would never make the tournament in the A10.

Also the A10 isnt the same BBall superpower it was in 2013 when you had Xavier, Butler, Temple still there.

The CAA is a fine fit. Maybe there would be a gentle realignment in the future if some conferences were to fold. The ripple of the pandemic could do that.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:02 pm 

GW doesn’t care, at all, about where the CAA basketball tournament is being held.

What’s less insane is Marshall potentially being an option in a few years. I think Roberts would at least see if there was some interest.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:11 pm 

We already bought out Dougie because of anger issues. Eventually would have to do same thing for Greg. So sad.
Would appreciate if AD would ask advice from JK. At this point he'd say keep EG. He does need another quality assistant for recruiting and coaching bigs.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:57 pm 

hungry wrote:
We already bought out Dougie because of anger issues. Eventually would have to do same thing for Greg. So sad.
Would appreciate if AD would ask advice from JK. At this point he'd say keep EG. He does need another quality assistant for recruiting and coaching bigs.

Agreed on the Greg Marshall point. As to Earl, it’s clear who he is as a coach. He’s not taking us to the next level and without the assistants from the past he is being exposed.

He has two years left on his contract after this season. We aren’t in a position to buy him out except for maybe after next season. If we have another crappy season next year it’s probably smart to pull the plug if we can get enough cash to buy him out.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:12 pm 

I'd still like Matt to talk to JK

Post Posted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:34 pm 

I suspect that Marshall will be radioactive for a bit, but next year someone may bite. USC seems perpetually dissatisfied with Frank Martin(which is pure lunacy if you ask me). Martin is the best thing that ever happened to them.

More likely mid/low major level.
Given the situation with Wojcik and the baseball coach I'd be skeptical as well.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:07 am 

Only reason I mention the idea of Gregg Marshall as being “less insane” is that the timing lines up. As you said, he will be toxic for a few years. But guys with that kind of track record tend to get a second chance and there may be an opening that aligns with the slime wearing off.

Or, since GW was mentioned, Gregg could suffer the same fate as mike Lonergan and be essentially untouchable for several years. But I think the former is more likely than the latter.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:18 am 

IMHO Nix Marshall...Last thing we need is another Herrion...

Post Posted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:06 am 

cougclass75 wrote:
IMHO Nix Marshall...Last thing we need is another Herrion...

Huh?

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball