Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: 98-99
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:39 pm 

Someone online just posted recently the win over UNC from 1998, in VHS form with Coach Kresse narrating a bunch of the tape. Raycom televised the MVP Classic that year. Also includes some great interviews with Dean Stephens from Channel 4.

Here is that video: https://youtu.be/Uw_9qB8LKBE

Last year right before the NCAAs there was a video posted of that season, but not of that particular game. There was a poll on Twitter a couple of days ago asking who was the best midmajor team in SC history. With Wofford making the top 25, that was a legit question.

The ‘97 team won out over this year’s Wofford team. But the ‘99 team made it all the way to #16 in the nation, and was stuck with a 9 seed in the NCAAs that year. Their only 3 Ls on the year were UGA, South Carolina and that Tulsa game in the NCAAs.

Post subject: Re: 98-99
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:11 pm 

We went to Athens where students said Webber was "Over-rated". Bad loss.
Did we lose to USC 2 years at MVP? I know we lost in 1998 the nite before beating #3 UNC.
Back to Charlotte for regional- if we had beaten Tulsa I think next day would have been against Duke. We almost came back from 30 something down against Tulsa. Vitale said it would have been best comeback he'd ever seen, and he called some of Swamp's high school games.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:32 pm 

Yes.
WE lost to UGA and the chickens in 98-99. The night after shooting awful against the chickens we beat UNC.

We also beat App ST in SO Con finals being down 10 mid way in 2nd half.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

I saw the UGA game as I had been talking the team up for weeks in the Geology lab that I taught (at UGA while getting my masters), that sucked. I got some grief the following lab, but shrugged it off saying "Whatever, we'll be in the tournament and you won't".

I had to listen to the UNC game via streaming on the internet. My roommates weren't CofC fans, but man were they getting psyched up listening to that game with me. Well the last 10 minutes or so anyways as I started getting loud and screaming at my computer.

https://www.facebook.com/CEBC.Beer

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:49 pm 

What's the connection between geology major & really good brewmaster? Something philosophical I bet. What was your undergraduate degree?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

I was a Geology and Mathematics double major for undergrad at CofC. No real connection other than Geologists also tend to be big drinkers. I got a homebrew kit when I graduated in 95, made my own beer for 15+ years before I started doing it for a living.

https://www.facebook.com/CEBC.Beer

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:13 am 

That's almost as funny as Westbrook Brewery founder had just graduated from Baptisi Furman & told his dad (wealthy attorney) he wanted to start a brewery.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:04 am 

Not to derail the beer topic.
I always felt the 96-97 team was better than the 98-99 team.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:35 am 

matrojan wrote:
Not to derail the beer topic.
I always felt the 96-97 team was better than the 98-99 team.

I tend to agree with this opinion. I think the latter team might have been deeper though?
Either way, the rise of Cougar hoops of the 90's was just monumental and unmatched in excitement, talent, & national recognition and they remain the consummate cinderella story of SC. Far & wide, they always seemed to win the fans & media over at neutral sites and tourneys and that speaks volumes as to who they were and who they represented on their chest.
I love those guys & everything they built.
We walked with Kings.
Go Cougs.

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball