Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: NU III
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:13 pm 

They are healthier than they have been the whole season. Cougars will have to play one of their best games of the season to win. Just hope we keep it close and have a chance at the end.

Post subject: Re: NU III
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:34 pm 

NU is going to have to have an off shooting night for us to have a chance. Otherwise, we lose by 12. We look tired, to be honest.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:03 pm 

I didn't think we looked tired at all... A bit sloppy in the later stages, maybe. I like our chances tonight.

Bring some friends tonight and let's make the crowd an advantage. Go Cougars!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:38 pm 

So many interesting questions going into this game...

We were awful in the first meeting @Boston. Neither team shot the ball well at all. We gifted them a ton of points on run-outs which was the difference.
In game 2 both teams shot better. They were missing Osseus. Pusica had been sick and did not play on the Thursday night game. Gresham was sick as well apparently. Still we had to eke a win out in OT. Hard to gauge. Though we beat them despite them shooting close to 50% from 3.

How effective will Osseus be?
Osseus is back but is almost certainly not match fit. It will be interesting to see how effective he will be as the game goes on. He hadn't played in month and a half until yesterday.
Can Marquise/Zep slow down Pusica?
How will the Brantley vs Bolden matchup shake out?

They are the favorite, but its close.
I am not sure how fatigued we are we just had one game in 2 weeks. That is about as much rest as you are gonna get in a basketball season. If we are tired I am not sure it is something 5-10 minutes here or there is gonna change. We went hard at Drexel then kind of seemed to coast a little.
The refs have swallowed their whistle this tournament. Personally I think that hurts us particularly against the sea of hands defense that NU is going to employ. They will dare us to shoot open jumpers. It will be critical for someone in the trio of Mcmanus, Jasper, Galloway to hit some threes.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

Where can we watch tonights game? Streaming or just TV?

https://www.facebook.com/CEBC.Beer

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:08 pm 

Usually astute GoCougsGo obviously referred to fans being tired, not the players. 2nd half oroblems were mental laziness, not physical tiredness. Concentration the key.
If there are 5,000 there tonite, we'll be the favorites. BTW- How about that pep band? Up from a dozen a few years ago to almost 50.
CBSSN only thing I know about.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:54 pm 

Quote:
Where can we watch tonights game? Streaming or just TV?

You can stream it through the CBSSports.com and maybe their app with the proper cable logins. Or some OTT services like YouTube TV, Hulu and others (not on Roku).

https://twitter.com/CAABasketball/statu ... 9005492224

Once again, the CAA broadcast deal is arguably the worst in DI men's basketball.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:46 pm 

I think it’s going to take a Herculean effort by either JB or Riller to win this one. The good news is both are capable.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:53 pm 

Cougie Monster wrote:
I think it’s going to take a Herculean effort by either JB or Riller to win this one. The good news is both are capable.

I was thinking it’s about time for a Dontaye Draper type night like he had against Appy in 2007 semis....38 points on 8-8 three point shots...remember that night at the Coliseum well....Donte Minter for Appy missed a Ft that would have won it in regulation, instead we go to OT and Bobby Cremins has is playing for a championship in his first year against Davidson and some skinny freshman name Curry....wonder what ever happened to that kid?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:22 pm 

When we beat them in ot on 2-16 Riller had 33, Brantley 27 & we held Roland to 7. They had better %'s than us but we had fewer to's. Looks like a plan. BTW- guess which starter had 1 rebound & no other stats in 14 minutes? That rotation means +/- 10 pts.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:04 am 

Out rebounded 12-2 on the offensive glass. That’s your ballgame

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:09 am 

Terrific game...
There was no home team referee advantage. Which was the great fear by all denizens of CAA message boards.

Cant survive when your best player is off.
When I heard that Occeus was back I knew it was going to be a really tough ask, but it was more than that.
Northeastern all night seemed like the hungrier team. Beating them for 50/50 stuff. The rebounds were just a symptom of that. They wanted it. They probably wanted the chance to knock us out.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:25 am 

Tough, tough loss. At one level, hold our heads high that we played so well in many ways offensively as a TEAM and in a lot of ways defensively. At another level, as was pointed out losing the rebounding battle and their containment of Riller was huge. Occeus was THE clutch bench guy that neutralized in some ways how clutch our bench was. Thought that non-call on the possible flagrant that just went against Richard was a factor in the momentum context of the game flow.

At a micro end game level, wish Riller hadn't taken that 3 attempt in the way he did when we were up one with a minute-ish to go. He forced it and it wasn't in the flow of the offense. Felt like we really needed to work for a good shot at that point because you knew Pusica was waiting to have his Chealey moment, which he did.

Also: CAA officiating needs to step it up. The non-flagrant that went against Richard and the 3 call that sent Pointer to the line for 3 were both terrible IMO.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:28 am 

I’ll say it one last time to close the book on the season.....our seniors can’t hit free throws.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:41 am 

Just to beat the dead horse on the rebounding...every other stat aside, really really tough to win a tournament game when you lose offensive boards **12-2**. Get more offensive boards -> second chance points, and the two missed FTs by the seniors aren't a factor.

In the finals against them last year, we tied 8-8 on OREB (5 of those were by JB).

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:47 am 

We made 8 of 18 from 3, but Riller went 0 for 5 from there. Make a couple of those and that is the difference. Officiating was not the reason why we lost that. Northeastern also made 3s at key times to stop our runs.

Announced attendance was 3,599 tonight for the session. Looked like more for the CofC game. Will be lucky to break 1K or so tomorrow for the championship. 1,500 max.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:56 am 

How the hell does anyone expect to get an offensive rebound when the whole team runs the other way as soon as we shoot. One of the two we did get was pure luck because a missed 3 pointer bounced back out to the shooter

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:07 am 

We have gone back and forth on this swamp but we dont care about offensive rebounds. Too many teams try to beat us down the court before we set our D.

The killer was the 12 offensive rebounds by them not the fact that we only had 2.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:15 am 

Great effort... thought the charge call on Riller was complete nonsense and could have been the difference. That said, you can’t have that many empty possessions and poor looks down the stretch.

Thanks to all the coaches and players for another very good season... it feels good to be in contention every single year.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:18 am 

swampcougar1 wrote:
How the hell does anyone expect to get an offensive rebound when the whole team runs the other way as soon as we shoot. One of the two we did get was pure luck because a missed 3 pointer bounced back out to the shooter

That excuse is total bs

PS: NU had 2 and 3 players crashing the offensive boards all night and had no problem with transition defense

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:32 am 

Won’t rehash what have been the obvious deficiencies all season. I will say that I had the pleasure of sitting right behind Joe Mahalich and his staff scouting for tomorrow. All of the guys were willing to engage with us and share their thoughts. No one thought Pointer would make 3 ft...to a man they were surprised when Harris came back into the game...they were all impressed with Jasper and Richard....surprised we went small for so long when McManus was having issues with being out physicalled. My friend asked one of the assistants who he would rather play and he replied”Both teams present difficulties but all things being considered, Northeastern because of not having to face the hometown fans.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:56 pm 

chascougs wrote:
Won’t rehash what have been the obvious deficiencies all season. I will say that I had the pleasure of sitting right behind Joe Mahalich and his staff scouting for tomorrow. All of the guys were willing to engage with us and share their thoughts. No one thought Pointer would make 3 ft...to a man they were surprised when Harris came back into the game...they were all impressed with Jasper and Richard....surprised we went small for so long when McManus was having issues with being out physicalled. My friend asked one of the assistants who he would rather play and he replied”Both teams present difficulties but all things being considered, Northeastern because of not having to face the hometown fans.

Excellent... That is really cool. Good observations.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:43 am 
Site Admin

He didn't mean to make that third one. You could see it in his body language

https://www.facebook.com/CEBC.Beer

Post Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:19 am 

See Cistern post

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball