Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: Hofstra
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 pm 

Thursday night 7pm Hope for another 4,000 plus crowd. Do we have anyone that can guard Pemberton? First game held WF under 20 but had no answer for Pemberton

Post subject: Re: Hofstra
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:01 pm 

Team had their back against the wall and reeled off 6 wins to save the season. At least for the moment.

Now we have the Huge week where everything is still in play.
I think we at least get a split here. We have lost games with this group where guys may not have been as focused as they should, but losing a clash of the Titans type game at TD? Thats hard to see. I am not ready to throw in the towel and admit that Hofstra and NU are better than us.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:43 am 

If we go 1-1 this week, NU would then hold multiple tie break scenarios over us and I think we do no better than 3rd. Hofstra has this thing locked up IMO. It’s a daunting task to go 2-0 over these two this week. I’d take the W over NE rather than Hofstra.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:00 pm 

No results will surprise me this week. Just want to see a good effort from the Cougars both games.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:44 pm 

I think we win both. Without the inexplicable loss to Drexel we'd still be in a big home winning streak, almost 30. Now we have students here, maybe close to 5k attendance (which neither of these teams are used to), & we should be all coached up not to give these games away. Watch our D, our rebounding, taking care of the ball, good shot selection, & our keeping our mouths shut (except for the fans).
Truly a tune-up for CAA at NCC in March!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:33 pm 

Something else inexplicable- we're 2 point favorite. I think they do that to make the Dutchmen mad.
Check out Andrew Miller article, including respect between Riller & Wright-Foreman who scored 48 in 93-87 win over W&M. Good news for us is Hofstra giving up 87. Too bad Marquis said we can't stop Wright-Foreman. I think we should try, even if Harris, Miller & Smart all foul out. Also might not be good that almost a dozen scouts will be there, looking at Wright-Foreman, Brantley & Riller. Hopefully our guys will be less distracted.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:56 pm 

Just to put the first game in perspective with some advanced stats.
-Hofstra's effective FG % was 72% which is the highest ever against an Earl Grant coached team.
-Their Offensive Rating was 132.2 which is also one of the highest ever against an Earl Grant CofC team.
It wasn't the three point shooting that was particularly maddening it was the amount of layups.
Still you can't escape the context of that game for CofC. We seemed tired and sluggish from all the up front travel. Kind of stuck in the mud with our confidence. We ran into a team hungry to beat us.

I anticipate much better defense this time around. Particularly on our rotations when they start breaking us down on the pick.
I think Jacquil Taylor's athleticism caught us a bit by surprise. He is springy. If they go small ball with Pemberton at the 4 we have to punish them for that.

I think it will be close either way.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:27 am 

So I jinxed us
Amazing shooting performance

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:15 am 

Some years from now, I'll see we scored 60 pts in one half and lost. I'm sure I'll see that as a error somewhere.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:32 am 

So close but yet so far. Riller with an amazing performance, but the first half foul trouble really hurt us.

The stretch from the U16 to the U12 cost us dearly.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:34 am 

So Riller set the school record for points in a game I suppose?

And we lose?

Good one Earl.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:38 am 

Riller had 43. Brantley 25, Galloway 11. Only 16 from the rest of the team.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:57 am 

Tip my hat to Hofstra...

They are built to beat us.
We had no answer on defense to their ball screen offense.
Hedge in with a wing and JWF finds Coburn for an open three.
Go all out to stop the layup and Taylor cleans up the rebound or takes a pass for a flush.
Dont close out quickly and JWF nails a three.
Over aggressive on the close out and you foul a three point shooter or they wash you out of the play with a pump fake.

I didn't think they could reproduce the performance from up their and they bettered it. Amazing.
This game answered the question if we can simply ride the two headed monster to the CAAT championship. We cant. Jarrel's offensive game is getting two predictable and eventually gets into foul trouble when he is asked to shoulder too much of a load. Grant is superb but there is only so much he can do

The supporting cast did not show up. Pointer in particular was horrendous.
Zep, Brevin and Richard didn't really do anything until the game was far out of reach.
McManus had no role he could play for us in the game. Put him at 4 and Pemberton was gonna abuse him. At 5 and their big man would.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:59 am 

charlestondxman wrote:
Riller had 43. Brantley 25, Galloway 11. Only 16 from the rest of the team.

And Galloway's points were when the game was practically out of reach.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:59 am 

There are times where you tip your hat to the other team and move on. This is one of those games. During the pivotal stretch in the second half, Hofstra made 5 three pointers that were contested tough shots. Our defense wasn't bad tonight - they just made tough shots.

Happy to say I was in TD for Goudelock's 39 versus Dayton and Riller's 43 versus Hofstra. Both amazing individual performances by prolific scorers.

We really need a win against Northeastern.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:16 am 

We will bounce back against NU. Don't know how Hofstra continues with Wright-Foreman & Pemberton both playing 40 minutes. Think they might get tired?
Good for us- 10-5 advantage o. r.b.
Bad for us- 8 bench points
How come we only shot 16 free throws to their 30? We did make 15, they made 26. There's 11 points. Did 4,100 people see their blue shoe on the line on the inbound? 3 refs wouldn't call it.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:49 am 

NU was playing with 8 guys tonight (Pusica and Occeus out) and still beat UNCW after being down 11 at half.

That missed call on that OOB play was enormous. It would have been a 5 point game with :28 left and the way we were shooting, who knows what would have happened. Instead they made 4 FTs, and the game was pretty much done.

I know the game was lopsided for most of the 2nd half, and it was Valentine’s Day, but I was surprised with the amount of empty seats. Six game winning streak going in, facing the top team in the conference, and we couldn’t get more than 4,000 folks in there. By the last minute, the crowd was maybe 2/3 of that.

I don’t know if people were saving up for SEWE or what, but that was surprising.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:41 am 

5th straight game with a technical or a flagrant. Let’s make it 6 in a row Saturday!

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:50 pm 

People need to get Maroon glasses off. We gave up 99 points and crying about a possible missed call..I have rewatched virtually every game this season and vast majority of calls are spot on. Yes officials are human.and may miss one occasionally. Porous defense is why we lost the game..

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:58 pm 

Would love to read the scouting reports on Riller, Brantley & forman from last nite.
Whats with both teams wearing the same colors? Just dumb. Hey cougars, wear school colors or go play for the nike pussies oregon etc.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:43 pm 

I don't think anyone needed maroon glasses to see that the inbounder stepped on the line with 28 seconds to go as the official was calling a "flagrant" foul 94 feet away.

It is becoming very tiresome to watch all these reviews take place on phantom calls - much less the live off the ball fouls that no one ever sees - when actual, consequential plays go unnoticed.

Every call matters against Hofstra and NE, and I would really like to be able to exit our games with a "they beat us fair and square" attitude. Sorry but it didn't feel that way last night.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:59 pm 

The curse of Jamie Luckie lives on, Hope TV Ted doesn't show upon Sat. No point play, no post play is hard to overcome

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:43 pm 

swampcougar1 wrote:
People need to get Maroon glasses off. We gave up 99 points and crying about a possible missed call..I have rewatched virtually every game this season and vast majority of calls are spot on. Yes officials are human.and may miss one occasionally. Porous defense is why we lost the game..

I think there is more to it than that.
There is a blueprint to beat CofC's man to man d. Pretty much everyone in the CAA uses it.
Right now to execute Earl's strategy of switching ball screens we need more length and athleticism up and down the roster which we don't have.

Its not just that Hofstra has good games against us, they shredded our D. Only the blowout against Elon had a better offensive rating. If we ever see them in the CAAT Earl has to realize that with the roster as it is currently constructed will not work with vanilla man 2 man D. We have to do something to get them uncomfortable press, zone IDK.

I get that if we are fortunate to see them in a CAAT final you may just roll the dice that they will be tight and tired and we will roll out the same D as always... Just dont be surprised if it fails.

We were beginning to see the cracks last year, but having two elite battle hardened guards in Joe Chealey and Cam Johnson allowed us to trade punches with teams and come out ahead.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:24 pm 

mid major problem wrote:
I don't think anyone needed maroon glasses to see that the inbounder stepped on the line with 28 seconds to go as the official was calling a "flagrant" foul 94 feet away.

It is becoming very tiresome to watch all these reviews take place on phantom calls - much less the live off the ball fouls that no one ever sees - when actual, consequential plays go unnoticed.

Every call matters against Hofstra and NE, and I would really like to be able to exit our games with a "they beat us fair and square" attitude. Sorry but it didn't feel that way last night.

All the whine in the world with that cheese does not take away from the fact our defense allowed 99 points.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:35 pm 

Thanks, Captain

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball