Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: Drexel
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:19 pm 

Revenge game 2. Every game must win until we have at least third locked up. Another dangerous teams
as we already know. Tomorrow 4 pm.. Just for Hungry is scheduled for CAA TV and on roku.

Post subject: Re: Drexel
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:32 pm 

Reminder that tomorrow’s 4pm tip is on television if you get DirecTV’s sports package. Channel 642-1 on DirecTV (NBC Sports Washington Plus). Also NBC Sports Philadelphia if you live in the Philly/south Jersey area.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:46 pm 

Drexel is paying NBC sports Phil to pick up same stream that will be on CAA TV and roku. They will probably end up losing money on the deal as we did with my tv

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:34 pm 

We probably will lose money on it, however we have an improving squad that is fun to watch. It is worthwhile to get some tv airtime for the area to attempt to drum up interest that has been very low for several years.

I think this is a bad matchup for us. I do not see any miracles happening this game. You are only a 4.5 point favorite, though. Guessing that is based off of the fact many games recently for you have been kept reasonably close in addition to being on the road.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:46 pm 

drexeldragons10 wrote:
We probably will lose money on it, however we have an improving squad that is fun to watch. It is worthwhile to get some tv airtime for the area to attempt to drum up interest that has been very low for several years.

I think this is a bad matchup for us. I do not see any miracles happening this game. You are only a 4.5 point favorite, though. Guessing that is based off of the fact many games recently for you have been kept reasonably close in addition to being on the road.

I understand why you did the TV contract and wish we still had one. As for blowing people out that is rare with our style of basketball. A 7 point win is our version of a blowout.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:31 pm 

No Harris today.. Death in family and he flew home for funeral. Prayers for him and his family.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:17 pm 

swampcougar1 wrote:
As for blowing people out that is rare with our style of basketball. A 7 point win is our version of a blowout.

Agreed and I fully understand a slow paced halfcourt game that is the case. Drexel played that style forever under our last regime. In this version of the game where offenses are much more open with much heavier reliance on athleticism and 3 point shooting, CofC is a uniquely successful team at still playing more of the old style of grind it out basketball. It is what makes them dangerous to about any team. In your number of 7, that is 3 possessions sometimes 4. To get 3 or 4 possession is at best 2-3 minutes of clock time if you are successful each trip and get a hold on defense. That is a huge hole to dig out of, for sure. I think you win by double digits today.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:29 am 

That ending was one of the craziest you’ll see in a very long time. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a flagrant post-called after a defensive foul on the other end.

Drexel outscored them 22-9 in the final 4 minutes but the Cougars still escaped. The T by Riller swung the game in a different direction.

That would have been an awful L to take. But getting out to the big lead saved them. 14 points from Richard and Miller. Miller saved our butts today with Harris being unavailable.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:32 am 

I've got to tell you the Technicals are seriously getting on my nerves. Do we lead the nation in those? The turnaround followed Riller's T with a 15 pt lead. You know CEG is talking to them about this issue. But watch the refs. After every(!) foul called on Riller they look to see if he is mouthing off at them.

Love our team, but that is basic discipline on the court for any level including the NBA.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:40 am 

Riller and Brantley both need to learn to shut up and just play. Both have developed bad reps with officials and the calls against them are proving it

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:44 am 

swampcougar1 wrote:
Riller and Brantley both need to learn to shut up and just play. Both have developed bad reps with officials and the calls against them are proving it

Yep. The techs over shadow a needed road win. As mentioned before, we blew a 1( point lead after the Riller tech. And thank god they didn’t see JB’s elbow in real time. That was not a good look for him and could have cost us the game. JB and Grant are too good of players to let their emotions or the crowd or the refs get the best of them.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:01 am 

Maybe benching JB and Riller for a few minutes at start of games would resonate with them. They're both great players but these techs are going to cost us a game at some point.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 am 
Site Admin

Jb’s T was good selling on Drexel players part, even their announcers said as much.

Riller needs to just let his game do the talking.

https://www.facebook.com/CEBC.Beer

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:24 pm 

Well, it almost happened again. Drexel really knows how to get under our skin. First game, Zep gets the tech that leads to the Drexel rally and now grant. Like others, I really am getting tired of the technicals this team seems to be accumulating as of late. It’s out of frustration, I get it. Grant and JB are getting mugged and not getting the call. Grant drove the hoop and scored and an audible smack on his arm was not called. When he landed, he stared down the ref for a good 2-3 seconds after. I was surprised he didn’t get it there.

For 32 minutes, we played some pretty amazing basketball. First half was probably one of the best we’ve played in a long time. We continue to not be able to finish the job. It’s frustrating for the coaches. I still stand by my statement that when the game is on the line, JB, Grant and Marquis are NOT who you want on the line. All 3 missed big free throws that caused this ending to happen the way it did. See how well we play without Harris?

I was pleased to see McManus play the 4 and 5 spots fairly well. He isn’t a 3 like he thinks he is. Pleasant surprise to see Marquis start the game as good as he did given the injury he sustained at Delaware.

Happy for a W but I’m pretty upset, frankly. The lack of discipline in this team is terrible. Probably the worst we’ve had in years going all the way back to the Herrion teams. The behavior of this group is not what we expect of CofC student athletes.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:48 pm 

Brantley is just not smart. Yes you got lucky it wasnt called in real time, or else at worst you are headed to OT. However in our 2 games he managed to foul a 3 point shooter of a 2 point game at the buzzer, foul a 3 point shooter at the end of the half, and get a flagrant foul in the final seconds of a 2 point game. He is talented and you have a good squad but that lack of discipline will cost your team in the tournament at some point. Just my opinion.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:08 pm 

Fabulous GoCougsGo right again-
"Grant and JB are getting mugged and not getting the call."

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:50 pm 

If I'm Drexel, I'd be licking my lips at the chance to play Charleston in the CAAT. Clearly they know how to rattle us. There is only one possible way you go to the line up two against a team with no timeouts and give them a chance at a five point possession in 4 seconds. Somehow Brantley managed to do it with that flagrant. Put the game away man. No one is saying Jarrell or Grant has to become Joe Chealey, but keep your emotions in check by knowing time and score. Can you imagine if W&M and Elon held on in their games and we cost ourselves in the standings with another choke loss?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:02 pm 

And also last year. Drexel led us by 9 points with 10 minutes to go in the quarterfinals of the conference tourney. Had a FT by Isabell to go to a 10 point lead that he missed.

If they don’t come back from that, our tourney drought would be going on 20 years. Drexel is going to be in the top half of the league sooner instead of later. Playing the tourney in DC much closer to their base is also going to be a big help.

Makes me think of when we were in the SoCon and Georgia Southern ALWAYS played us extremely tough. A lot of low-scoring battles.

Riller and Brantley need to let their play do the talking. They have great personalities off the court, but they need to show it on floor. I know CEG tells them not to think of the time and score, and to play every possession like it is the biggest one of the game, but there was no need for Riller to get that T at all.

The barn door was getting ready to close and the fans had one foot out of the building. That T suckered them back in.

Also, Miller’s two FTs he made before the technicals were the most clutch maybe of the year. Miss one or both and the whole strategy of that last possession is different.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:37 pm 

Despite both flurries late this year, I would not want to face your team in the CAAT. You are just a bad matchup for us, which is why you get those big leads to begin with. Obviously the late game collapses would worry me too, but CofC is not a team I want Drexel facing, especially in N. Charleston.

We are definitely improving as a program under Spiker. We have talent and we have really good recruits coming in. But we are not there yet this year. We are dangerous for sure, but our lack of foot speed on defense is still going to inhibit us from too much success. Having the tournament in DC will make almost 0 difference. We do not have a big enough fanbase to matter the location (even Philadelphia). We have a core who will go no matter where it is at, we have nearly no casual base of support. Our students will always be loud and make an impact where its 10 students or 100. When the tournament was in Baltimore, Drexel saw minimal increase in attendance as well, for the record.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:40 pm 

I don't agree with the assertion that Brantley is "not smart".
He plays with a fire that sometimes spins out of control. Earl used JB's fire to build this program back. He has unlimited currency in my book. Sounds like Cam and Joe were instrumental in keeping JB's demons contained. Without them there isn't anyone that can keep him focused on the court.

For me the Drexel game was a perfect storm...
They had confidence given the previous game. So where another team may have just rolled over into the night they didn't.
Drexel was a superb 19-19 from the FT line, and the Technical was certainly a spark. In addition to that they only missed one shot after the technical including FT's and FG's(until that shot at the buzzer). That is really good offensive efficiency.

The biggest issue on us and closeouts is the shaky free throw shooting, and the lack of a FT shooting heat sink like we had with Joe or Drew Goudelock before him.

Agree with the others that the guys get a little caught up with what the officials are doing, and by extension of this you get these frustration techs.

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball