Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: Re: VCU next
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:24 am 

swampcougar1 wrote:
A win here will be a very pleasant surprise. Most important thing for us is getting Pointer game ready these last 3 ooc games and EG getting his rotation for CAA play established

Not just pleasantly but ecstaticaly surprised

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:30 am 

VC-Poo fans got introduced to JB and Riller. Great win. Yes!!!

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:36 am 

That was an embarrassing last 3min to closeout, almost a classic choke. Win by 15 if we didn't play like retards. Good win on road, cant wait to read the pain & misery on the animal board :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:47 am 

Didn't like couple of things TV guys said-
EG won't be coaching in CAA much longer
Brantley & Riller should have been recruited by ACC teams. Of course, too late for anyone to snitch Brantley
Saw a little Miller. Looked o.k. Looks like McManus needs some more coaching up for end-of-game situations. I think Pointer started getting together by end after shaky start.
So the rotation looks like starting 5 (will Pointer replace Zep soon?), McManus/Miller/Osi in forecourt. Richard, Moore, McCluney in backcourt.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:13 am 

Boy that was satisfying.
Will add more later but two favorite things...
-McManus' big boy play on the and one offensive rebound.
-Coach sticking with Marquis through some awful play early and getting a big payback at the end.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:15 am 

On their board-
And they can make free throws. Because anyone can make free throws if they make it a priority
They beat us like a drum
We were out-coached
They are one of the 2 best teams we've faced
They should run the CAA
This loss won't hurt us much with a selection

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:26 am 

Won % war- shots 51, threes 37, free throws 75
Won rebounds
Lost assist/TO ratio 10/23 (ouch!)
Won the game 83-79
BTW- Furman 94 UNCW 50
Is VCU next game the Shockers?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:33 am 

hungry wrote:
Won % war- shots 51, threes 37, free throws 75
Won rebounds
Lost assist/TO ratio 10/23 (ouch!)
Won the game 83-79
BTW- Furman 94 UNCW 50
Is VCU next game the Shockers?

Damn, furman. Many teams cursing the bad luck of scheduling them this year. The coach is a former csu asst.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:51 am 

Fitting that the college of knowledge wins this at the free throw line
#405rvaram, Today at 6:21 PM.
..animal :D

live this, learn this, love this 8-)

Pointer just gets better from here on out.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:04 am 

Ya shockers up next for them i guess. Their forum wasn't very satisfying. They are objective knowledgeable basketball fans. I'm actually rooting for them now. Go Rams! 8-)

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:33 am 

Great win.. Probably one of the best true road wins under Earl. We have some heartbreakers fall short(@Davidson when true freshman Marquise missed free throws, @ Rhode Island without Jarrell, @ Auburn not true road but still pisses me off).

I'm not going to dog the turnovers too much. Its what VCU does. A lot of it was Pointer who struggled with game speed as anyone would expect given his situation.
Riller also struggled as the primary ball-handler. I think coach moved off primary ball-handling things got easier for him.
Zep was superb save for that short ugly stretch mid way through the second when the refs made a conscious decision to even up the fouls and things briefly went off the rails.

The funny thing that I didnt expect about their defense was that once you got past the pressure in the half court it wasnt that great. Offense too. They had a ton of athletic pieces, and just hoisted up a lot of threes. The teams that get us defensively are the ones that have top guards that can beat their man and collapse the D. VCU didnt have that.

Not to take anything away from them. That pressure D is nasty. One off the most turnovers ever by an Earl Grant CofC team. When they had that big run late I thought we were cooked, but it just shows how Jarrel and Grant have taken things to the next level. These situations dont fluster them anymore.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:42 am 

Did not think in my wildest dreams this game would hit the 70s/80s.
We knew JB and Grant were going to get their points but Zep being the X factor was a complete surprise. He picked a helluva game to play as well as he did.
I thought this game was going to be won or last in transition and we won that 16-11 but I was not expecting each team with 20+ turnovers. But, we defended against our turnover possessions way better than we defended after a made shot. That saved us.

I did not expect to win this and am thrilled for the win. I’ve been to many VCU games and always root for them except against CofC. Rabid fans, incredible band and a good on court product. I had not realized they have had 123 consecutive sell outs. That’s impressive. Now, we enter a trap game against Siena. An extra day off in between. How do we respond?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:37 am 
Site Admin

From the William and Mary board:

CAA Bball Gameday
I’m watching this Charleston/VCU game wondering how we are going to keep up with them.

https://www.facebook.com/CEBC.Beer

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:26 am 

That’s 2 nationally televised games which we have won this year (Memphis in the Orlando tourney on ESPNU and this one on NBCSN).

I follow a few A10 fans on Twitter and they were impressed by this game. We could have wilted at the end, but instead they made their FTs they needed, and got it done.

@RamStrut on VCU’s message board: Quite a few negatives to take away. The atmosphere was mostly dead in the building. I sat in section 32 which happened to be full of Charleston fans who were very very loud and heard comments from them about how quiet the Stu was when they heard so much about it being loud... Foul shooting was awful and three point shooting is consistently terrible.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:42 am 

Quote:
@RamStrut on VCU’s message board: Quite a few negatives to take away. The atmosphere was mostly dead in the building. I sat in section 32 which happened to be full of Charleston fans who were very very loud and heard comments from them about how quiet the Stu was when they heard so much about it being loud... Foul shooting was awful and three point shooting is consistently terrible.

Yea, section 32! That's where I was! Siegel Center was fun - definitely got rockin a couple times during VCU's two runs. For the most part, VCU and CofC fans left each other alone. Good to see the perception of our program continue to change. Saw a lot of chatter online about how legit our team is, and would have to agree after today.

Riller and Brantley - two best players on the court no question. Zep - poised for most of the game and was the bonus third scorer we needed. Miller - very active and was able to hold down the fort when Brantley was in foul trouble late. Would not have trusted the other bigs in that situation.

I was really thinking Pointer was going to be more liability than asset, but in true Marquise fashion he came through in the clutch. Great true road win.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:37 pm 

Seems like Brantley has lifted his game to another level.every tough team we have played

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:57 pm 

Icing on top was:
During the game many of the commercials were CofC ads. Then....there as a Richmond U ad.

On to Siena.

We should all become RI and VCU fans now.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:13 pm 

& Memphis
Go, Tigers!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:42 pm 

That VCU win continues to age well:
Quote:
"Less than a month ago, people wanted to bury VCU’s at-large chances. That loss at Rhode Island sent the Rams to 4-2 in a bad Atlantic 10 with two sub-100 losses overall.

Only VCU hasn’t lost since then and has played its way back into the projected NCAA Tournament field as the strongest 11 seed per Bracket Matrix." (https://www.midmajormadness.com/2019/2/ ... y-hofstraa)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:34 am 

One of the top 2-3 wins of the Earl Grant era.
Its gonna be wasted though. Right now we are sweating an NIT berth if we dont pull 3 wins in the CAAT

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball