Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: VCU next
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

https://www.vcuramnation.com/forums/thr ... ead.17804/

So looking through the thread I have two glaring questions. Why are they calling the Seigel Center the Animal? Whose bad idea was that and why did anyone listen to them?

https://www.facebook.com/CEBC.Beer

Post subject: Re: VCU next
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:38 pm 

I've notified peta about this blatant and egregious misappropriation of all things animal. Join me and the pink pussy hats in boycotting this game and all things vcu until lives, families and careers are destroyed.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:56 pm 

CofC beat URi in Charleston, squeaked past Memphis on a neutral court....and have either gotten whomped by P5 schools or beat lesser opponents.
we've danced this dance before
ANOTHER 6/7 deep squad that relies on a G/F combo(Riller/Brantley).
Dictate style of play and wear them out/force mistakes
Defend the 3...
Tough in the paint
Win going away
We out-skill them in every facet. Play an ENTIRE game, DO NOT rely on the 3, make them pay for every bucket, enjoy "home officiating", Feed The Animal!!!
Go Rams!!!

:lol: rubes

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:43 pm 

I've been there. They are quite proud of their building and their "sellout" streak.
They claim to have home sellouts for some ridiculous amount of games. Get into one of the games and notice the swath of empty seats and you get the idea of how full of t hemselves they are.

Oh, and the area the arena is in....is. a. dump.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:57 pm 

If this game were played in TD we’d likely be favored. I haven’t seen them play yet this year but highly doubt they out-skill us at every position. Riller and JB would start for almost any A10 team. Question will be if we can stay poised and not turn the ball over. Their D will extend on grant which he has struggled with earlier in the season. I think he’ll adjust and find the open man. Knock down some shots and we win.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:22 pm 

I look at this game like all other ooc games this season. A learning experience that will enable us to be ready for CAA play. Three games left to improve as a team before games that count the most start. Pointer needs to shake the rust off these 3 games. If Miller is going to be productive he has a lot of rust to shake. Two years since he has played in a game. Hope to see big improvement in keeping other teams off the offensive boards. Need to keep working on getting others involved in the offense. Rillers assist totals is proof they have been working on that

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:00 pm 

Looks like a pick em situation to me.
Nice measuring stick game.
Doubt that gym rattles us.

I am really curious how Riller does. He feasted on UAB and Memphis, but will likely see better on the ball D. Doubt he can get to the hoop as often.

Jarrell will get his. No one on VCU is keeping him from his 20/10ish. Just has to avoid the charges and stupid fouls.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:11 am 

Virginia had to come from behind last night to beat them in Charlottesville, so they may have some game to go with their "home officiating".

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:35 am 

Couple more odds and ends on them...
They are superb in FG defense. #2 from behind the arc. But they are not very good offensively. Bad at rebounding bad at shooting and bad ft percentage. National leaders in both causing and making turnovers.
We are kind of middle of the road in everything.

They played a tough sched. Yes the tight UVA game was impressive but they also needed overtime to knock off Hofstra at home. Justin Wright Foreman bagged 25 in that game.
The fans are generally Uber confident. Which is fine though i woukd have expected a little more saavy from a long time mid major.

The key will be defense. If we don't let them have easy baskets and force them into lots of misses or perhaps get some turnovers and run outs then we have a punchers chance.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:16 pm 

All of that plus no foul troubles

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:40 pm 

Rebounding will be huge in this game. One of their strengths ( offensive rebounding ) is our weakness ( preventing offensive rebounds ).

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:17 am 

The computers like VCU. They are 5-10 point favorites on all the computer sites I look at. Game is also on NBCSN (Channel 56 on Comcast, who used to televise some of our CAA games).

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:44 pm 

No surprise they are favored. They are a very good team playing at home.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:37 am 

My lord the VCU fans are insufferable - especially for a second rate art school in a third rate city.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:55 am 

Cougie Monster wrote:
My lord the VCU fans are insufferable - especially for a second rate art school in a third rate city.

Hey now. Richmond is a fine city. Looking forward to visiting this weekend for the game! For anyone else making the trip, there are many breweries fairly near the Siegel Center (Hardywood, Triple Crossing, The Veil, Ardent come to mind), solid restaurants scattered throughout, and plenty of other things to do (if you have kids, hit up the Science Museum a couple miles up Broad St from the gym).

As for VCU’s fans, they are a passionate bunch, for better or worse. I expect to see a lot of black hoodies. :roll:

For those making the trip looking for recommendations, PM me.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

They are a lot like some of our fans when we first joined the SoCon. We were also a very young division one fan base that had only experienced winning and tournaments, we were even having SI write articles about follow the Charleston model if you want to jump to division I because they did it right (HOF coach had more to do with it than admin, but that article gave the credit to the admin).

Long way of saying that I would expect their fans to act more like they've been there before, but whatever. It's the internet, what do you expect? I did find their reactions to us not bowing down at the altar of the ram were funny because they were pretty over the top. essentially "F them, F their city, NOLA is better".

It's almost like they have a Napoleon complex because they aren't a member of the AAC.

https://www.facebook.com/CEBC.Beer

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:21 pm 

they can shut the f up after we zipem up on saturday

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:47 pm 

Bottom.line if you have thin skins do not read message boards of teams we are playing. I love reading them. Can always count on a little humor if you do not take everything seriously

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:02 pm 

04 - I actually enjoy Richmond, just taking a gratuitous shot at the VCU fans. Solid food and drink. Edo’s Squid is one of the best Italian restaurants I’ve ever been to.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:54 am 

I’m from DC but lived in Richmond before moving to Charleston 15 years ago. I remember when the Siegel Center was built right near the convention center. It was a downtrodden, crime ridden area on Broad Street in Jackson Ward that has done a complete turn around. I lived in the Fan and loved the area. Some unique places to eat in the Fan. Have not been back to downtown Richmond in a number of years but Shockoe Bottom was a happening spot back then. I hate that I’m not making the trip this weekend.

Here is how I think this game is going to go:
1) this game stays in the high 50s to low 60s.
2) we will struggle with their defense but Earl will make the necessary adjustments to handle it better particularly in the 2nd half.
3) this game will be won by who outscores who in transition. We take care
Of the ball but they will eat us alive with the lacksidasical passing we so love to deploy at times.
4) wouldn’t surprise me if they locked down Grant, let Jarrell do what he wants and dare the freshmen to shoot. X factor will be pointed. They haven’t seen him on tape yet so who knows what he will do to them.
5) Hofstra got in a track meet with them because they have shooters that can run that type of style and score at ease. Our shooting is so inconsistent that we can’t even get close to having a track meet with them. Earl knows this and that’s why I think this game goes painfully slow.
6) Harris won’t be able to handle this game and will likely sit long periods of time.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:23 am 

Great post Gocougs.
You could well have it pegged. Can't give them easy buckets that's the game.

Hofstra kept it close by going to the FT line a ton. Would love to repeat that.

I don't know what to expect from Marquise. I wish he had a couple more games under his belt.
If you look at how JB came back last year it was 16 minutes in the first game then 25 min in his second game back. Only in his third did he begin to look like himself.

I fully expected the underclassmen to get a little rattled by their intensify. Brevin will be an x factor.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:00 pm 

Giving them second chance points will hurt us a lot more than our transition defense if we let them get the number of offensive boards Charlotte and Ga college got

Post Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:03 pm 

Looks like a crowd of at least 200 is heading up for the game. Alumni with a sizable crowd at the pregame function.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:06 pm 

They are 7 point favorites.
Andrew Miller interview with EG suggests this is a game where we can evaluate our position in mid-major world. EG says VCU & George Mason NCAA runs a few years ago show CAA possibilities.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:06 pm 

A win here will be a very pleasant surprise. Most important thing for us is getting Pointer game ready these last 3 ooc games and EG getting his rotation for CAA play established

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball