Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: Rhode Island
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:26 am 

Tues at 7 pm TD arena
RI message board
https://keaneyblue.com/

Fully expect a shorter rotation and fewer combinations of players on the court. First 2 games a lot of experimenting with EG finding out who he can trust. Expect rotations similar to last ten minutes of first 2 games

Post subject: Re: Rhode Island
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:13 pm 

not getting a whole lot of respect from their fans

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:59 pm 

Who the heck knows. They lost a ton including their coach.
They beat us by 6 in a game that the last 5-6 offensive possessions for them were trips to the FT line which is pretty darn favorable for them.
Not to mention Jarrell didn't play in that game cause he was still hurt.
I was Nick Harris's best game ever as a Cougar. If he can bottle up whatever he had there and do it again we win hands down.
The two guards that did the bulk of the damage against us are graduated.

Otherwise the lynchpin is Jarrell. If he doesnt get in foul trouble or start doing silly things we should be ok.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:47 pm 

looks like we are 1.5 favorites tonight... usually that means we are at home. huge game here! lets go COUGS!!!!!!!!! PACK TD!

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:09 pm 

Just hope no cold start. I expect a close game whoever wins

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:57 am 

URI is having one of those games. We have seen it hopefully it lasts

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:53 am 

Nice win tonight.
Neither team could hit anything outside; glad we went to the basket more in the second half.
Nice balanced scoring from Riller, Brantley, Jasper and Galloway.

Really, really impressed with the student turnout. Hope that trend continues.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:01 am 

Great win! I like this team. Excited to see what we look like with Pointer and Miller also contributing.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:05 am 

Yep. It was a great crowd for the students, especially since it started raining right before the game. That’s what a NCAA bid does for you. People who were disinterested became interested after last March.

Good to see us come out on top after Riller was being double and even triple teamed at points.

The A10 is really having a bad start to the season. George Mason was up 22 at Georgia Southern and gave up 64 2nd half points to lose by 9.

UNCW starting 0-3 with a 21 point L to UNCG at home tonight.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:22 am 

The A-10 is down, but I'll take that win all day every day. Riller was definitely getting hounded and forced out of his game, but he has to be ready for that this season. Glad that Brantley and the supporting cast were able to do enough to stockpile points and hold on. Just about everyone who entered the game contributed something.

RI had an atrocious shooting night, but our defense was still good enough to win. Finding nothing but mid-range shots available, the Rams had to turn to Towson ball to get any type of scoring. Worked for a bit but they couldn't muster anything in crunch time.

Glad the students are reenergized. Team is going to keep growing as the season goes on, and it's better to win while they learn rather than the alternative. Schedule keeps getting tougher.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:27 am 

Interesting game.
Similar to the last years game. This URI team is obviously much less polished than last years team. They kept grinding us on the glass and you knew that no matter how big the lead was they were gonna tighten it.

Both teams were dreadful from outside. So I find it pretty funny hearing URI people complain about hitting just one more shot. JB and Grant are both close to 40% 3 pt shooters and hit zero.
Clearly JB and Grant struggled with their length and quickness. Grant struggled finding those creases that are usually automatic, especially early on. Finally found his confidence and groove. JB has been starting a little frenetically.. That ridiculous foul they called on him where he gave up layup and they brushed knees or something could have been a killer but it wasnt.

The Freshman. Wow. Zep's poise to handle so much of the ballhandling. Jalen's energy. Moore will only get better too. They look like they belong already.
If Samba can get a little better hands it would be huge.

One of the few knocks in my mind on CEG and his squads was that we often come up flat against higher conference competition(the drubbing of Ben Simmon's LSU team being the exception). Good to see him finally have the horses that can start to turn that last weakness around.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:32 am 

Not scoring but being double and triple teamed a lot Riller had a a very good game. Instead of forcing it he dishes out 6 assists.

A classic Earl Grant win. Great defense with enough offense to win

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:34 am 

Wasn’t very good, but it was good enough. Neither team played that well. This was the first game I got to watch and I’m pleasantly surprised by the freshmen. After watching some of Moore’s HS highlights, I really didn’t see it, but he can play. Thought Richard had a nice night too.

URI extended their D on Riller and didn’t switch or go over screens - both defenders followed and forced a pass. First time I’ve seen a team play him like that but if the trend continues, it will open the floor for wide open shots where grant will be able to diagnose earlier and facilitate.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:37 am 

cougarsurf11 wrote:
The A-10 is down, but I'll take that win all day every day. Riller was definitely getting hounded and forced out of his game, but he has to be ready for that this season. Glad that Brantley and the supporting cast were able to do enough to stockpile points and hold on. Just about everyone who entered the game contributed something.

RI had an atrocious shooting night, but our defense was still good enough to win. Finding nothing but mid-range shots available, the Rams had to turn to Towson ball to get any type of scoring. Worked for a bit but they couldn't muster anything in crunch time.

Glad the students are reenergized. Team is going to keep growing as the season goes on, and it's better to win while they learn rather than the alternative. Schedule keeps getting tougher.

Agreed URI took awful shots in the first half. Bunch of non rhythm quickly chucked balls. Their conference cratered an then even the easy stuff got hard. When they finally started to have flow in the second half and some of an inside out game stuff started falling for them. Plus that Dowlin kid started heating up and was draining long jumpers.
Langelivine kept them in it with his energy in the post. He hurt us last year as well.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:40 am 

"diagnose earlier and facilitate"- Love it Cougie. Nice
I couldn't go, gave tix to son who says refs were brutal.
URI got lots of offensive boards. Can we be coached up on that?

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:03 pm 

Upon further review Riller my player of the game. Realizing they were double teaming him he consistently found an open man and ended up with 6 assists. That number could have been doubled if not for wide open misses by other players. On top of that played damn good defense and logged a game high 38 minutes

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball