Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: Re: CofC vs. Auburn Round 1
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:38 pm 

Man they are small, though they play with a bunch of exuberance.
Cant knock em because whatever it was it has lead to an SEC championship.

Definitely gonna play us zone. Collapse on anything in the paint trying to dare us into shooting open jumpers.

Brantley should feast as Nick will be guarded by their true big man. This is the game where you wish Nick had a little better developed offensive game.

On offense they are gonna pull Nick out and move him around to nullify his size and bomb a ton of threes.

As Bojack said the most important thing is not start slow. Cannot give this young team oxygen.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:57 pm 

They had a good sendoff about 90 minutes ago to get on the bus to the airport. Probably about 50 students and faculty were there at the Arena.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:17 am 

Great Season Cougs. Thank You Joe, Cam and Evan.

So rough. Winnable game. Auburn had the terrible offensive day you hoped we they would have and we couldnt take advantage

Chealey being hobbled was brutal. Without his composure we just made so many unforced errors. We never settled down in that game. The moment was a little too big for us today.

We gave them the so many extra looks that allowed them to finally find their stroke and it killed us with those threes at the end.

We hadnt seen a team of Auburns caliber all season. Their closing, redirection speed on defense caused huge problems for us.
We must schedule stronger competition next year so we arent as shell shocked when we finally see it.

Have to learn from this grown and get better.

Big lesson is the need to develop a little more sophisticated offensive game. 1 on 1 ball screen basketball is a lot harder against a back court that nullifies your athletic advantages.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:02 am 

CofC played the game their way. It was an ugly game. The way CofC wanted it. But they played it a little too ugly. Riller and Brantley scored 40 of the 58 points. Pointer played 34 minutes and had 9 points.

We averaged .79 points per possession, had 10 assists to 21 turnovers, made only 5 3s, missed half our FTs, and still had the ball in the last possession with a chance to tie. Who knows what happens if Chealey is healthy and doesn’t foul out.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:42 am 

They are going to want this back. Auburn missed everything early but we retuned the favor. This was the type of game we were hoping for... sucks we couldn't take advantage.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:05 am 

Good news is, it’ll almost certainly get vacated.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:22 am 

Neither team played well.

Definitely was there for us. We lack a punch off the bench. Definitely needed a Stacey Harris tonight. We were rolling with Bailey. Need to continue to recruit

Give Auburn credit for playing good defense. We had no rhythm the whole game. Think it may have been wise to try and push the tempo a bit as we weren't really a one on one matchup problem for Auburn.

Certainly was not the worst NCAA game the Cougars have ever played.

Here's hoping its not 2037 when we return.

Overall bummed :| but encouraged we are in the mix again

Gameball to JB

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

At least we're not UVA fans. Went to the W&M board to see their posts about it, man those guys don't like us.

https://www.facebook.com/CEBC.Beer

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:51 pm 

I thought our effort was good, and that’s become pretty consistent under Grant.

Hopefully this gives Riller & Brantley something to focus their offseason efforts towards.

Despite his big scoring night Brantley really had an overall pretty rough game. Obviously without him we’re in no position to win but also had it not been for all his turnovers & multiple bad shots we may have been in better shape down the stretch.

Chealey being hobbled was tough. This team is going to have to figure out how to win without him and if this is an early return on that it wasn’t too good.

If Chealey was himself I think we win this one and we’d have had slightly more than a punchers chance v. CU.

Auburn really focused their defensive effort on Riller once it was obvious Chealey was hobbled. That’s something Riller is going to have to face. Our offensive outlook next year really comes down to how quickly he can understands how a) the extra defensive attention he receives can allow him to make his teammates better, and b) that the degree to which he can be effective doing so will actually free him up to score more.

This was a concept Goudelock struggled with as a junior but seemed to figure out as a senior.

The stage was too big for us today and while I don’t quite feel like we were just happy being there; we were not prepared. I agree that we need to start playing some power 5 teams every year. Wichita and Rhodie are fine too, but nothing measures up to playing Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas, UNC, etc. in their gym.

Proud of the guys and happy with the season and getting back to the dance but now, like any “fan”atic, I want more!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:24 pm 

Having a great time in San Diego despite our loss last night. Proud of the guys and happy to make the trip with about 500 other CofC fans in attendance.

Here is the teams flight landing at Atlantic this afternoon. Feel free to welcome them home.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX8636/history/20180317/1700Z/KSAN/KCHS

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:47 pm 

smydauf wrote:
I thought our effort was good, and that’s become pretty consistent under Grant.

Hopefully this gives Riller & Brantley something to focus their offseason efforts towards.

Despite his big scoring night Brantley really had an overall pretty rough game. Obviously without him we’re in no position to win but also had it not been for all his turnovers & multiple bad shots we may have been in better shape down the stretch.

Chealey being hobbled was tough. This team is going to have to figure out how to win without him and if this is an early return on that it wasn’t too good.

If Chealey was himself I think we win this one and we’d have had slightly more than a punchers chance v. CU.

Auburn really focused their defensive effort on Riller once it was obvious Chealey was hobbled. That’s something Riller is going to have to face. Our offensive outlook next year really comes down to how quickly he can understands how a) the extra defensive attention he receives can allow him to make his teammates better, and b) that the degree to which he can be effective doing so will actually free him up to score more.

+1 on above comment. They were focusing.more on Chealey at the start. As soon as they saw Chealey could not drive because of his ankle Riller was double and triple teamed every time he got the ball.. A lot of the turnovers due to added pressure on Brantley and Riller.

This was a concept Goudelock struggled with as a junior but seemed to figure out as a senior.

The stage was too big for us today and while I don’t quite feel like we were just happy being there; we were not prepared. I agree that we need to start playing some power 5 teams every year. Wichita and Rhodie are fine too, but nothing measures up to playing Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas, UNC, etc. in their gym.

Proud of the guys and happy with the season and getting back to the dance but now, like any “fan”atic, I want more!

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:54 pm 

GoCougsGo wrote:
Having a great time in San Diego despite our loss last night. Proud of the guys and happy to make the trip with about 500 other CofC fans in attendance.

Here is the teams flight landing at Atlantic this afternoon. Feel free to welcome them home.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SCX8636/history/20180317/1700Z/KSAN/KCHS

Hopefully some fans show up at TD arena to welcome them home

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:48 am 

Great Post Smydauf
I think nerves were an issue, and to that extent Earl's hands off approach may have hurt a little. Joe falling out of the lineup only compounded things since he was the one that typically steadied things. Jarrell missing pressure FT's at the end? It was unheard of.

We probably don't appreciate how much the pressure of expectations had been building on the guys. I mean we saw a glimpse of that in the first half against NU.

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball