Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: Northeastern
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:36 pm 

Huge game tomorrow if we want to continue our aspirations toward getting that top seed in the CAA tourney. Northeastern at home after back to back tough road losses. Northeastern is 3-1 in the league, but have played 3 of their first 4 at home. The only loss was to Hofstra by 1 at home. This is the first of 3 straight on the road for them.

CofC has 4 of their next 6 at home. The Cougars can’t have a slow start against this team like they have had against most of their home opponents.

Post subject: Re: Northeastern
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:40 pm 

I was so upbeat about this season now I am feeling a 19-11 season and a 2nd round bow out of the CAA tourny but I hope I am wrong. We have all the potential to still win it but havent played to it. Next two games are must wins. No questions. Go Cougs! Hope CEG has them focused and ready to play!

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:06 pm 

Must Win and a game we should win if we intend on competing for the CAA champ.

I am still holding the belief that this last road trip was a well needed wake up call to the guys who got way too complacent.
We lose and yeah I will start getting pessimistic too.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:34 pm 

Yup. Back home after the wakeup call road trip, students in attendance. A wire-to-wire victory would be very refreshing.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:41 pm 

Coach & players in today's P&C said the trip was a wake-up call

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

They should print that somewhere someone will actually read it. :D

https://www.facebook.com/CEBC.Beer

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:45 am 

Is anyone on this board a student? I ask because, while it seems like a good student turnout, they are sitting on their hands providing zero impact. My claim to cougar fan fame is I was one of the students who broke the bleachers - literally my row was the one that collapsed. I don't mean to sound old (I'm not) but when did students stop getting hammered and yelling all game?

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:40 am 

+1 to what Cougie Monster said.

There's still something not right about our first half defense. But in a vacuum a double-digit victory over NU at home is where this team should be at, and that's what they did. JB, Chealey and Riller had another Big Three game where none of them could be checked. Plus McManus bounced back for what was almost a flawless game for him.

JMU was up 9 with 55 seconds to go and Knight fouled out at W&M (Dukes were up 20 in the first) and somehow still lost. Would've loved to have taken the Tribe down a peg. Towson and Elon both lost.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 am 

Yep. I am a student, and it is the new culture. People just sit on their hands waiting for things to happen, using their phones. The games that are loud are the promotional ones with T-shirts and other stuff.

Good win tonight. We were within 8-14 points for most of the 2nd half, but couldn’t quite pull away completely until the end. Except for the first 5-6 minutes of the game, we led throughout.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:07 am 

"where someone will actually read it"
My bad for not mentioning it's in the most read paper in the state and on the most accessed web site in the Greater Charleston area.
They're still making money, bless their hearts.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:15 am 

Cougie Monster wrote:
Is anyone on this board a student? I ask because, while it seems like a good student turnout, they are sitting on their hands providing zero impact. My claim to cougar fan fame is I was one of the students who broke the bleachers - literally my row was the one that collapsed. I don't mean to sound old (I'm not) but when did students stop getting hammered and yelling all game?

I mentioned that to guys I sit with. Used to be the students would bitch about us blue hairs not standing and making noise...now it’s those same blue hairs that bring whatever energy there is to TD. Maybe the somebody who’s involved in game day experience could organize a little “how to be a good fan” session before the next home game, the kids from Stall brought their A game tonight! Maybe that’s the ticket, fill the student section with high school pep bands that actually bring some energy.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:16 am 

NU's ball movement is tricky. It seemed we were chasing the ball a lot early on which gave them looks.
At some point we started switching everything which nullified their ability to break us down. I cant speak for the first couple minutes as I wasnt watching as closely. NU tried to exploit those mismatches on the switches and couldnt do it.
They got way too many second chance points and we had several fast breaks where we immediately turned it back over and they got scores.
We seemed ready for that zone they threw out in the second half but the offense wasnt as crisp.
I am glad Earl remembered about the bench and McManus did exactly what we hoped he could give us. Would like to see more time with Osi/Samba instead of just going small.
Jarrells never gonna want to come out but he was tired in that second half. It could be me but he seems a little off defensively. I assume it could be the brace or not quite a hundred percent.

I was peaking at that WM/JMU game. Man I really though that JMU was gonna bring it home. I think they did that in another game as well. They just cant seem to get traction. WM has a really tough stretch. We will see how it goes.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:51 pm 

Good game for us after that weekend stretch. I still think this will be one of our 5 league losses when it's all said and done. We won't win this game in Boston given how awful our shooting is on the road.
Jaylan played his best game of the season thus far. Still waiting to see what CEG will do with Harris. IMO, weakest link on the team. Can't rebound and surely won't dunk the ball. Layups, can't hit'em.

It's time to right this ship and get moving. William and Mary is now the team to beat (they don't lose at home by the way so it doesn't surprise me they came back and won. They did it once already this season). High scoring offenses pose a challenge for us. I'd like us to take a page out of the Towson playbook and try and trap our opponents in the back court for an extra 2-3 seconds to kill the shot clock quicker making them force a shot.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:14 pm 

Good win. Harris is getting abused on defensive and providing little to no help on O. Saw flashes of the team we really are but then again saw some bone head stuff that hurt us. Win at Elon this weekend and I will be more confident especially just after they lost a heartbreaker

Post Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 pm 

Happy they won. Show me on the road. Offensive rebounding as usual terrible. As long as all 5 players are running the other way while the ball is still in the air it will remain that way. You see other teams with 2 or 3 players crashing the boards virtually every shot they take. Our road record is 2-4. Not good for a team that wants to win the conference. One more season a deep bench not developed in non conference games. They do not get better sitting on.their buts on the bench in those games

Post Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:45 pm 

I think the lack of Offensive Rebounds is a tactical decision by us.
Earl values making sure we get the defense set so the priority is to get back.
Couple teams have tried to get away with this and pushing the ball on misses, we saw it @Towson.

I briefly looked at the early part of the game. Earl subbed in Ndaiye and Mcmanus really early which probably affected our defensive rotations.

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball