Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: UNCW
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:54 pm 

Big game tomorrow night with UNCW coming to town in the “White-Out.” CofC hasn’t beaten UNCW in Charleston since Grant became the coach (they did beat them in Wilmington last year). The only win we have against them here was when Wojcik was coach.

Wilmington has played much better the last two games, winning at Elon in OT and nearly beating Northeastern at home, falling in OT there.

We need to look like the first 3 conference home games, not like how we did in the first half at Towson and the second half at Elon.

Post subject: Re: UNCW
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 pm 

We need to win tonight. And win a damn road game! Come on Cougs!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:20 am 
Site Admin

Harris needs to dunk more. how does he miss that bunny?

Smart too......WTF!

https://www.facebook.com/CEBC.Beer

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:05 am 

That was pathetic.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:20 am 

So is it fatigue, complacency, or both?

They held UNCW to 31 points, 10 turnovers, 1 offensive rebound in the first half. Then Wilmington torched us for 45 in the second. Riller disappeared after halftime, and whether it was the flu or something else, Brantley was clearly not himself.

On the plus side Harris, Pointer and McManus were all pretty aggressive I thought. Harris missed some bunnies, but he looked really confident and engaged. McManus taking shots at the rim was something we've hoped for.

We're one game out of first at this point, with 2 of the next 3 at home. Gotta work on keeping the intensity up for a full forty minutes, not just settling for jumpers when we have a lead.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:31 am 

First half was as good of a half as we've played all season. 2nd half was one of the worst in recent memory. I'll say it again. This is not an NCAA tournament bound team.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:35 am 

I am not going to get all dramatic about this game. After the illness thing came out I was just hoping to scrape out any win.

It was clear to me that several guys ran out of gas. JB front and center. JB was huffing on his knees at every game stoppage. Why he pressed and felt like he had to take 70% of our shots in the second half is beyond me. Why couldnt Osi get more minutes so some of our sick guys could manage their minutes and fatigue a little better. No clue. If you don't trust your bench up 20 at home with 17 to than when are you going to trust it.

Also why we constantly wait till the panic light comes on before we run a functional offensive set like the one to from Joe to Nick that sealed the game.
Coach in his post game effectively was wondering aloud the same things, which is even more confusing

The one big bright side is Jaylen has moved on from his pity party and reverting to the guy we were starting to see before Brantley came back.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:48 am 

This league is going to be crazy this year. Seven teams within one game of first place. As Dabo would say, a win is a win is a win. A loss tonight would have been absolutely crippling. Elon was up 10 with 90 seconds left over JMU and lost in OT. W&M lost by 20 at home to Northeastern.

Not having Cacok in a lot of the first half was the key. That’s how we got the big lead we had. If we had played like that in the 2nd half we win by 25-30 points.

I thought the crowd got a little complacent through most of the game. We had about 3,600 for our biggest home game of the year so far against our rival. Most of them were very quiet most of the game until the final 2-3 minutes. These games should be on Saturdays from now on. They changed the scheduling after this year so UNCW and CofC are travel partners.

Let’s rest up and get ready for Hofstra.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:55 am 

Have to give credit to Brantley. He gave it all after being down with the flu and was doubtful even this am.

Valentine is terrible

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:15 am 

"Valentine is terrible"
He must be about ready to retire to James Island

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:31 pm 

Joe really saved their bacon last night, cause boy oh boy that team was leaking oil down the stretch. He hit a huge 3 with about 1:45ish to play, then a great assist on Nick's dunk and 2 FTs the seal it.

I think Mateo said it earleir, but head scratching how many shots JB forced.

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball