Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: Riller-NBA
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:02 pm 

Tonight's the night. NBA draft

Grant has legit NBA buzz.
He is a lock to get drafted. It's only a question of if we are talking about end of the first round or beginning of the second. Floor is mid second.
He will be the highest cougar ever drafted. Jarrell was the 50th pick. Joe made it into the league as an UDFA.

surf has an excellent podcast on the topic
https://twitter.com/holycityhoops/statu ... 4577917953
other stuff.
https://theknickswall.com/knicks-2020-d ... bly-steal/

The last piece of Earl's great NCAA team now in the leage.

Post subject: Re: Riller-NBA
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:22 am 

Grant goes to Charlotte barring some late night trade...
A little lower than I would have expected, and not an ideal location, but he makes it.

Joe's days in Charlotte are numbered but at least the may pass by each other through a training camp.

Earl can say he has sent three kids to the NBA

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:55 pm 

I’m very surprised he dropped to 56. Was really hoping he would sneak into the first round. He’s a glove fit for LA especially with Rondo possibly leaving. But a couple of thoughts on why he dropped:

His size hurt him. He was only listed at 6 foot even at the combine. We all knew he wasn’t 6’3 but I was expecting 6’1.

His high major splits weren’t great. Granted a small sample size but GMs must have had doubts regarding level of competition.

He struggled against bigger, more athletic guards who would pressure him beyond the 3 pt line.

But, man, with all that being said I can’t believe all these teams overlooked the production and efficiency. I really think his offensive game will translate and he had a way higher ceiling than most of the guys drafted ahead of him. He’s going to enter the NBA like he entered college; overlooked, undervalued and with a massive chip on his shoulder. For my money, he will prove the doubters wrong again.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:36 am 

Grant signed a 2 way deal. Along with Nate Darling

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:35 pm 

Maybe he gets some playing time in the minors and looks like a Trae Young-esque product. Possibly gets a look as a scorer. Its possible but not probable. He'll really need to light it up. You need minutes to prove you are a scorer though.

Can't imagine many NBA teams have a need for him in the limited minute, end of bench spot he currently would have. Kind of the same deal with Goudelock. Kid could score (and certainly could absolutely kill it from 3) but was not a spot up 3 point sniper that would have gotten him a NBA roster spot in perpetuity. He needed minutes to show out as a scorer which he was never going to get. Riller does not have nearly the 3 point touch of Goudelock but is better with the ball and is a better fit at PG.

Ay 6'0 next to no one gets on a NBA roster (Chris Paul most notable "very small guard" at 6'0)

Especially these days when even your centers are evaluated on their ability to step out for threes.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:43 pm 

This also reminds me that Dontaye Draper was a hell of player and probably 1 inch away (5'11) from getting a shot at the NBA.

He was every bit as good as Riller, Chealey and Goudelock and carried some very bad Herrion teams to winning seasons.

Also how in the hell did Sedric Webber not get drafted?

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball