Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: Looking into next year's team Cougs 2018-9
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:59 am 

How will we adjust to the loss of the seniors?

Obviously Marquise slides into the starting point role. Different player than Joe but he brings a lot to the table.

Interesting thing will be replacing Cam. Its gonna be a loss. Cam was super versatile being able to guard the top offensive option or playing up and guarding someone bigger if necessary.
Natural fit is Jaylen, though I wonder if the trainers will try and give him a little different regimen. He bulked up this year to survive the 4 spot, but next year he may need to focus on agility and trimming down. He will likely be facing smaller quicker guys.

I assume Samba redshirts given the bounty we have in the frontcourt.

Post subject: Re: Looking into next year's team Cougs 2018-9
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:59 pm 

A good foundation coming back to build on. Although Pointer was not a starter he did start as a freshman and ave 25 minute a game last season. I think with an increase role next year he could easily ave 15 a game plus be a better than ave point guard. He was looking better than he has since he has been here the last half of the season. Where McManus fits in the picture Is any ones guess. That depends on how good an unknown quality is next year. Can Galloway step up. Will one of the incoming freshmen be a factor. Will.our last recruit be a grad TX who is a really good defender out front. Too many questions not answered yet to realistically pick the fifth starter. Being pretty well set on who 4 starters will.be is a good situation to be in. Will not be easy to repeat but do like our chances

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:04 pm 

Based on this year's tight rotation and EG's preference for older players (except when absolutely necessary, like in Year 1 or with Goodwin/McManus), I'd be extremely surprised if the starting lineup isn't Pointer-Riller-McManus-Brantley-Harris.

That means we're losing our only two consistent bench players. I'm guessing first off the bench would be Jasper, Galloway, Miller (when he's cleared) and Smart. Maybe one of the two freshmen? McCluney seems a bit more polished and fills more of a need. All of these guys are extremely green, including Miller and Smart.

I think we're really going to feel the loss of Chealey in a couple late game situations that might not go our way next season. Cam's presence will be missed too, but I think Pointer can take on some of that defensive load. Agree on Ndiaye possibly redshirting, that seems to make sense for all parties.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:04 pm 

With Riller and JB both back, we'll still have 2 of the best players in the CAA - hell, Riller could win player of the year.

I like Jaylen at the 3 especially if he gains some confidence and gets more aggressive and uses his size. Would like to see him get a little quicker.

The big question mark for me is secondary ball handling. Who plays the role Pointer played this year? Is Zep ready for 20 minutes a night? It's hard to see how we can play a 4 guard lineup for any extended period.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:15 pm 

I would say the only guarantees would be Brantley, Riller & Pointer.
Harris may start but he won't play more minutes then his counter part.

Freshmen: McCluney & Moore have a lot of ability. Both started HS as PG's around
6'0 tall and grew into 6'6 + 6'10. for both - Ball handling, shooting & a scorers
mentality are++ McCluney probably heir apparent for Johnson at SG in time. No way McManus play's the Junk Yard Dog!

Guards: - Jasper - quick & a scorer. will see a lot of minutes as backup to Pointer
Rave reviews in practice but can it he translated to game time?
Galloway - will be entering his 3rd year - can shoot the 3 but hasn't shown
anything yet.

Forwards/Center: McManus, Ndiaye, Smart - all need serious OF/DE development but
a lot of potential.
Harris - Needs to work on foot speed and intensity. I'll leave it at that!
Miller is a 4 and can play at 5. He can shoot the 3 ball well - we'll see about one on one & defense under the basket.

We still have one to give! Post Player or Guard? We already have to many redshirts.
I would go for the very best immediately eligible Transfer or Post Grad! We will have a
depth problem.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:36 pm 

I love our returnees
I have high hopes for Miller, Jasper & Galloway (to replace departees)
I trust Coach & staff to make good use of remaining scholarship
I plead for Harris to add scoring-around-the-basket, including dunks, to his vocabulary.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:38 pm 

Renew season tix @250/ea by August 27

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:26 am 

For anyone desperate for basketball in July... Joe, Jarrell, Grant, Brevin Galloway and freshman Isaih Moore are playing in the SC Pro Am this week.PJ Dozier (USC/Thunder), Sindarious Thornwell (USC/Clippers), Torrey Craig (SC Upstate/Nuggets) and a couple other high-level players are participating.

First games were today. Brantley led his team with 21 points. He was playing alongside Dozier and Riller, against Thornwell's team. Riller had 15.

In the other games, Galloway scored 18 and Moore scored 15.

https://www.scproam.org/

Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:36 pm 

cougarsurf11 wrote:
For anyone desperate for basketball in July... Joe, Jarrell, Grant, Brevin Galloway and freshman Isaih Moore are playing in the SC Pro Am this week.PJ Dozier (USC/Thunder), Sindarious Thornwell (USC/Clippers), Torrey Craig (SC Upstate/Nuggets) and a couple other high-level players are participating.

First games were today. Brantley led his team with 21 points. He was playing alongside Dozier and Riller, against Thornwell's team. Riller had 15.

In the other games, Galloway scored 18 and Moore scored 15.

https://www.scproam.org/

Does this tourney have a rule that defense is not allowed

Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:15 am 

Quote:
Does this tourney have a rule that defense is not allowed

Earl would not be impressed by the level of effort

Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:44 am 

Brantley and Rillers team plays at 6 tomorrow. Any way to follow the game

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:38 pm 

Any news about the incoming freshmen. Hearing good things about Richard. Could he be our 5th starter.

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball