Register    Login    Forum    Chat     FAQ

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball

Post subject: High Point
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:42 pm 

They are 2-4 with wins over Methodist and William and Mary and losses to Tennessee, Citadel, Pittsburgh and UNC-Charlotte. They play tonight against Johnson and Wales. Sad this was a guarantee game as used to sell a lot in High Point and their campus gets bigger everytime I would pass it and want a reason to see a basketball game there.

Post subject: Re: High Point
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:14 am 

2 of 3 High Point wins non div 1. The other against W and M. Their scoring stats very inflated by those 3 games

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:23 am 

High Point was scrappy.
I am sure this game isn't gonna cure the malcontents

Really liked what I saw from McManus. Especially getting the inside shot.
The lack of assists was so glaring in the first half. Everything was selfish and predictably unsuccessful. We looked completely out of sorts.

It was leagues better in the second half.

CEG remarked about the poor crowd in the post game show.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:43 am 

Yeah, the crowd was kind of poor. If they hadn’t been giving away free shirts in the student section, it would have been a struggle to get to 2,500 or so. They weren’t in it for much. It took till later on for them to be into it.

48 point 2nd half after just 22 in the first half. It’s good to go on a run to start out a half. We went on a 7-0 run to start the game, then 14-2 to start the 2nd half. Those points clinched the game for us.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:46 am 

matrojan wrote:
CEG remarked about the poor crowd in the post game show.

DW used to do that.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:53 am 

I would love to see video of the halftime speech. It worked.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:00 am 

My guess
Not much speech. More adjustmen ts.

Not sure if we purposely dont make in game first half adjustments.
Looks like the first half is protective.
Its becomihg a pattern.

Coach is right...crowd did suck.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:16 am 

Good halftime adjustments and the ball started to go in.
Early in the game we were shooting 50%, then started clanging.
First 5 minutes of 2nd half made the difference. Not sure we win by double digits without taking & making 3's in the 2nd half, a lot from kickouts after penetration.
Did we play some zone in the 2nd half?

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:20 am 

Yes on zone.
4 minute mark when they took a time out we went zone. Back to back steals and baskets for us.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:35 am 

Re crowd - I haven't lived in charleston for over 10 years now so can't really say I have a finger on the pulse of the town, but from my experience charleston is an event town and cofc hoops isn't quite an event yet. Imho the ways to remedy this would be play a highly entertaining and or unique brand of basketball, or win consistently at home over teams higher in the food chain of than the high points of the world.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:39 am 

Unless you’re playing an LSU or a Louisville or somebody like that, the casual locals usually won’t get into basketball until January.

You have had so many people jump on the Clemson bandwagon, and weeknights in December are usually a tough draw with all the holiday programs going on. Plus we haven’t gotten as much exposure so far with the TV package being curtailed. The Alaska games were almost forgotten here with one of them on a weekday the day before Thanksgiving, and another going against Clemson/Carolina.

On the court, yes, it is a pattern of ugliness. We struggled against Siena the entire game, had some tough times against WCU (could have won by 20, won by 9), and trailed by 7 points at half to a High Point team that had 1 D1 win on the year going in.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:09 pm 

the fact is that we arent as good as we thought... just the facts. Brantley will be back soon (if he does will help) but we were a little overrated to start the year. Towson may eat us for dinner.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:55 am 

Re: Crowd

I think attendence will continue to be hit and miss for the infinite future. I believe this is an unfortunate side effect to the crazy downtown growth over the past decade. It used to be fairly easy for folks to know their spots to park downtown. Now, there are no guarantees and the traffic to get downtown during rush hour is awful. Best way to remediate it is to play solid ball, but I don’t think that’s the cure all anymore for attendance. It’s too bad as the majority of factors regarding attendance are out of the College’s control (unless they worked with the city to offer free parking for all home games at city garages with a ticket stub!)

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:51 am 

Automatic $5 to park, with some lots more than that (some charge $2 a half hour), then $10-30 for a ticket. Then the food price. It’s more expensive to go to a CofC game than many other local events.

I went to the JMU/Citadel game tonight and a ticket was $8. Free parking. Very affordable.

The majority of our fan base lives in Mt. Pleasant and West Ashley/James Island areas. Those that get out at 4:30-5 usually have to rush back downtown in order to get back to TD for a 7 o’clock game. We have a lot of downtown fans too, but a lot of those are corporate or season ticket seats.

It will be better for weekend games this year, but you’ll still have this problem for weeknight 7pm starts.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:45 am 

I have no problem driving in from J I when the heavy traffic is going the other way. Takes all of 10 minutes. I do have a problem with them scheduling a game at 2 pm on the second Sun of the month when King street is closed. Creates a traffic nightmare downtown. Be surprised if a 1000 show up Sun because of that especially since it is a damn non div 1 team we are playing.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:36 pm 

I'm with DXman. These games are entirely too expensive. I have two kids, and to bring them plus the wife, it's $60 just to walk in the door. That's not mentioning parking and food.

All kids under 12 should be FREE with an adult ticket purchase. The arena NEVER sells out. Ever. I shouldn't have to pay more for a ticket to a CofC game than I would to go see the Gamecocks in Columbia. Especially as alumni. This is absurd. I can go buy a $6 ADULT ticket to this Saturday's Gamecock basketball game. If CofC would lower the entry price, I bet you'd see more butts in seats.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:50 pm 

Just curious what local events are cheaper. Maybe Citadel or CSU game. I pass. Movie which will be on TV in a few months. I pass. Last concert I paid $160.00 for 2 balcony seats. I agree any student anywhere should be no more than half price and under 12 free.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:53 pm 

If 80% of the season ticket holders were present we would not be having this conversation.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 pm 

Sweetpea correct, as usual. Season tix holders & students would make the difference.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:25 pm 

sweetpea wrote:
If 80% of the season ticket holders were present we would not be having this conversation.

That’s a problem. Some of the season ticket holders are corporate and they just show up when they feel like it. At times it is like a RiverDogs game, which shouldn’t be the case when there’s only about 14-15 games a year at home.

The Stingrays charge $10 to park, then $13 is the cheapest ticket, on up to $32 for the best seats. For most of our games, the cheapest ticket is $15. All of the tickets for the North Greenville game are between $5-10.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:58 pm 

If a game doesn't sell out then it doesn't matter about the empty corporate seats. Allow people to come down from the upper level. If someone shows up, they have to move. I have empty seats all around me. They are purchased by individuals. They are not going to show up until the conference part of the schedule. The bright side is the college is at least selling those tickets.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:11 pm 

Also, most of those corporate seats are from a larger donation that includes parking. If parking was a person's issue, they can always increase their donation. Parking comes with most of the middle tier donations (and higher).

Post Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:08 pm 

We love our parking spot.
We increased from 4 to 6 seats 'cause I told Joe Hull we would if we hired Earl Grant.
Also, we wanted to go upstairs where Arnold is.
Good beer news- I whined so much that Jerry Baker & Palmetto got together and we now have Palmetto Amber Ale upstairs. BTW- there were no increased costs involved.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:01 am 

hungry wrote:
We love our parking spot.
We increased from 4 to 6 seats 'cause I told Joe Hull we would if we hired Earl Grant.
Also, we wanted to go upstairs where Arnold is.
Good beer news- I whined so much that Jerry Baker & Palmetto got together and we now have Palmetto Amber Ale upstairs. BTW- there were no increased costs involved.

Queue up GCG whining about you wallet talking

Post Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:40 pm 

I'll gladly and humbly take anything GCG is dishing out
Can you accuse a former school bus driver of wallet talking? Just allocation of scarce resources (something I remember from 40 years ago at C of C)

Board index » Cougar Sports » Basketball